The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-10-2024, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
You mentioned Heritage Insurance, do they cover a guitar against developing string buzz?
They do, but I could tell they weren't thrilled at the idea. They asked for a statement from the luthier, which I can get, and appraisal of the guitar, which I can get. I have a much more expensive (and treasured) guitar that I do not want to lose coverage on, so I don't want to risk losing my coverage. I just talked with the luthier again, and she offered to talk to Lowden, get their advice, and go from there.
Old 05-10-2024, 06:03 PM

I’m confused. I thought you resolved this in April.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...68#post7447268
Old 05-10-2024, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Concerning that the tech could not figure it out. And, that they left the action high. I'd definitely see another tech as there are only so many things it could be and these things really aren't that complicated. I'm not going to try to diagnose it on the internet but I'm confident a good tech could find it fairly easily.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

I agree with Bowie... seems like if the tech you took it to could not find the problem, and left the action that high, my next step would be to find a different tech to look at it.
Old 05-11-2024, 06:31 AM

I would find another tech. No way I wound file a total loss claim for a maintenance item.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I would take it to another luthier and ask if they can check the fret heights. Fret the D string starting at the 12th fret and work your way down until it starts to buzz.
I talked to her yesterday, she did check fret heights. She is a really well respected luthier in this area.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Concerning that the tech could not figure it out. And, that they left the action high. I'd definitely see another tech as there are only so many things it could be and these things really aren't that complicated. I'm not going to try to diagnose it on the internet but I'm confident a good tech could find it fairly easily.
They set the action high trying to eliminate the buzz. This tech is really well respected in the Twin Cities area, where we have an embarrassment of riches in terms of luthiers.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egordon99 View Post

I thought I solved it. The solution did not stick. It helped, for sure, but as I played it more, the buzz returned. This may be a zip tone issue, and maybe I will just have to tighten the windings every week, or so, but that seems wrong to me. Like something else is being missed.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Motivated by your observation, I tightened the windings on the D string again just now, and the buzz resolved. Here's what I do not understand: Why does this happen with all the string brands I've tried, Savarez, D'Addario, Augustine, etc? And why did it start 3-4 months after purchasing the guitar. There seems to be another variable in the mix. It is definitely a hassle to have to restring the D string on such a frequent basis, but doing so does appear to resolve the problem for at least a little while.
Old 05-11-2024, 10:19 AM

Halfway through my writing this, you fixed the issue. So i'll abbreviate what I was writing to this: The "luthier" you took this to - reputation aside - is a hack. I don't know who she is but you don't "fix" an issue by dialing up the action, shimming the saddle and introduction forward relief until the instrument is unplayable. My advice would be, never ever use that person again. Anyone who removed all the strings to do the work you described should have found the string - not guitar - issue.
Old 05-11-2024, 10:20 AM

I would absolutely get second opinion from another luthier/tech.
Old 05-11-2024, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I would absolutely get second opinion from another luthier/tech.
Thanks. I think I should do that, too
Old 05-11-2024, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
Halfway through my writing this, you fixed the issue. So i'll abbreviate what I was writing to this: The "luthier" you took this to - reputation aside - is a hack. I don't know who she is but you don't "fix" an issue by dialing up the action, shimming the saddle and introduction forward relief until the instrument is unplayable. My advice would be, never ever use that person again. Anyone who removed all the strings to do the work you described should have found the string - not guitar - issue.
Thanks for the nudge Steve. I will take it to someone else. Even though I can "fix it" by tightening the windings, the buzz has been there with several different restringings - different brands. Always the D. And, it didnt start until about 3-4 months after purchase. Do you think it is entirely a string issue? Or do you think there is a second variable in there somewhere?
Old 05-11-2024, 10:32 AM

I'm not familiar with nylon strings (I should fix that ) but what does it mean to "tighten the windings" ?
Old 05-11-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I'm not familiar with nylon strings (I should fix that ) but what does it mean to "tighten the windings" ?
It's referring to the string winding around the tuning peg. Doesn't matter, in this case, if steel or nylon. This photo would be, on several levels, what not to do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion