The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-10-2024, 06:29 AM

We had a spare bedroom in the last 2 houses that were guitar rooms. We have now gone condo and I now have a guitar corner in one of the bedrooms, I've downsized to 4 guitars so it works just fine.
Old 05-10-2024, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

I have noticed over the years that my music rooms evolve. As I do or so it seems. It's something to keep in mind as many have a tendency to make things permeant. Another thing is the rooms also need to be dusted from time to time.

Creativity comes more easily with a good dose of fool
Old 05-10-2024, 07:25 AM

I have a dedicated music room that my lovely SO let me have when I moved in with her 10 years ago or so. All my stuff is up there, mostly, and it has a pretty big closet where I keep everything I’m not using. I love the room; it’s really good for playing in. Not that great for recording - the entire front wall is windows that also extend to each side a few feet. We live on Main Street, so there’s road noise a lot of the time. But I make do - I’m lucky to have a spot like that.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

My music room started as a study. I started studying the guitar and it turned into the guitar room. My only advice is if you share the home, keep your guitar room clean! No one likes to look at clutter. My wife likes showing off my guitar room when friends visit.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
... and sound insulation to keep Mama happy....
I need to look into this. I'm up early practicing guitar before I go to work, so I'm usually on an electric with headphones into a practice amp. I'd really prefer to be practicing with one of my acoustics, but my wife isn't into fiddle tunes at 5am.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on your son joining the Coast Guard. Our daughter also went in. Her first duty station was San Diego. She met her husband there who was also in, and they went from there to Oahu. They each served for around 10 years and now live happily in Hawaii.

I was great to go to the graduation ceremony at Cape May and see where everyone was choosing for their first station. Where did your your son choose?

Enjoy you new guitar room!
Old 05-10-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Congratulations on your son joining the Coast Guard. Our daughter also went in. Her first duty station was San Diego. She met her husband there who was also in, and they went from there to Oahu. They each served for around 10 years and now live happily in Hawaii.

I was great to go to the graduation ceremony at Cape May and see where everyone was choosing for their first station. Where did your your son choose?

Enjoy you new guitar room!
My son's first duty station was the 87' Albacore out of Panama City FL. He's now on the Cutter Maple WLB 207 in Atlantic Beach NC.

Years (too many to count) I was on the Cutter Vigilant WMEC-617, then later a series of land/COMSTA's (choose your rate, choose your fate).
1998 Fender Jazz Base
2001 Fender Stratocater - Eric Clapton Edition
2006 Taylor GS 8
2008 Fender Stratocaster - John Mayer Edition
2012 Takamine 12 String
2022 Fender Acoustasonic Player Telecaster
2023 Martin HD-28E LRB
Fender Deluxe 900 Amp
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Tube Amp
Bose L1 Pro8
Old 05-10-2024, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdogblues View Post
My strategy was to not get married

Attachment 107744
You live in a guitar store?

(That room looks freakin awesome!)

G&L: Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Special
Old 05-10-2024, 08:13 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

I have had music rooms in the past, but not currently. I have a corner at the moment... if I continue to get more serious about recording I will either convert a spare bedroom or build out a partition in the downstairs den/basement.

My recording corner is enough for now, though.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

I converted our son's old bedroom to a music room and consolidated my "office" to the same room, with the office turning into the better half's sewing/quilting domain. With downsizing looming, this is a luxury that may go away in a year. Well, first world problems and all that - been nice while it lasted .
Old 05-10-2024, 08:56 AM

You can humidify the whole room, rather than messing with individual cases. Get something like a Vornado Evap40 and an Inkbird humidity controller, and it's pretty much set-and-forget (fill a tank every few days).
Old 05-10-2024, 09:08 AM

Mine doubles as a spare bedroom. We have a Murphy bed that folds away when we don't have company. When someone needs to sleep in the room, I tuck my pedalboard underneath the stool. People who sleep there have to be okay with being surrounded by speakers and guitars hanging on the walls. It's mostly my son and his fiancée. He's a musician, so it's not unfamiliar to either of them.

I used to have a soundproofed room (a couple of houses ago). This one is better for the musician, not so much for the other occupants of the house. Whenever we've looked at real estate, a music room is one of the priorities.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 05-10-2024, 09:10 AM

My "music" room is in the spare bedroom. My wife once mentioned taking the queen size bed out and and I could dedicate it as a music room.

The third bedroom is set up as an office. But is full of my wife's things.

I have suggested getting a storage shed and having it built to code so I could turn it in to a studio.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 05-10-2024, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

My upstairs room looks like this. A bit cluttered, but it works. Extra foam insulation in the walls and a special pad under the carpet makes it almost soundproof.

——
Old 05-10-2024, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

If a multi-function room is too multi-function for a "guitar" room, I guess I don't have a true guitar room. But it feels like I do. This is my combined guitar room, office, meditation space, and our guest room. It's basically my space except for the rare occasions when we have company, at which time the desk I use for guitar stuff and the backing bookcase swing around to the wall side and out comes a murphy bed. Pretty great space and I'm really happy to have it for the 98% of the time it's mine.

-Ray

IMG_4107 by Ray, on Flickr

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion