The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-09-2024, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

I don't think I would be content with just one guitar. But I think we all have our own image of ourselves as guitar players. If your image is that of a troubadour or a minimalist, or any image that is not consistent with having a half dozen guitars or more, then the urge to get down to one is there. But if one's image of themselves is a connoisseur of different guitars one might find the idea of only one guitar limiting and that would not support their image of themselves. I guess we all just have our own angle who we are and what we want to be. That's my perspective on the issue.

I tend to think about these kinds of questions metaphysically. Sorry, it is just me. I can't help myself.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 05-09-2024, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

As a minimum, I would want a 6-string and a 12-string. I also appreciate electric guitars.

And like the OP, I appreciate having different guitars to play. For me, it seems to open up the world a little more.

- Glenn
Old 05-09-2024, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

I don't understand the "one guitar" desire either. I appreciate the subtle "flavor" of different guitars, enjoy matching guitars to different tunes, and love looking at my rack of guitars and deciding which one I'd like to play at any given moment. But if owning only one guitar floats your boat, then sail away!
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 05-09-2024, 08:33 AM
Musical minimalist

I just retired and soon will be down to one steel string and one classical.

For me, it's many reasons - living simply, needing less space (I live in 900 sq ft with no basement), having less responsibility (I take care of my guitars like they are kids) leaving less of a "mess" behind when I'm gone (no kids or family)

I can play any style of music on the two I'll have left, and be completely content.

There is no more because there is no need.

Old 05-09-2024, 08:35 AM

I would suggest the less guitars you own the more you play.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:37 AM

I like having a small aresenal, but wanting just one makes sense. It saves space and money, and it's fewer belongings to take care of and worry about.

As it is, I don't have or want a lot of instruments. ("A lot" is, of course, subjective. My wife thinks I have a lot, and she's always right and never lies.)
Old 05-09-2024, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

We are a funny lot.
So in simple terms ( budgeting constraints aside) the reason for not having more one guitar is a simple mater of not wanting more than one.....that's it, all the rest is total subjective preference and nothing more

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-09-2024, 08:46 AM

I have three, the two Martins one rosewood and one all hog are so different that’s it’s a nice to have an option for different songs. The J-45 is not as comfortable for me to play but it’s the most full throated of the trio and I love that guitar.
I could do with one except for alternate tunings. It seems like I’d be changing strings far too often.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Yes, just one.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKA View Post
I would suggest the less guitars you own the more you play.
far from it for me.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-09-2024, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

I would like to get down to 3 great acoustics, and 2 resonators. I like some variety.

I have more acoustics than I will ever need, and need to add one more resonator.

I also have several other instruments, but mandolin is the only one I play with regularity. There are times when I play mandolin more than guitar, and I will eventually add another mandolin.
Old 05-09-2024, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

I had one acoustic and one electric for 25 years. For the first ten of those years I was playing a ton and playing out a lot. I never wanted anything more. I spent exactly NO time thinking about guitars and a lot of time thinking about and playing music. Now I have three acoustics and one electric. I love and play all three acoustics quite a lot, but sometimes I think more than I’d like to about which guitar to play. I’m not planning to get rid of any of them anytime soon (or add any others either) but there’s a side of me that kind of misses just having one acoustic and one electric and never having to think about what instrument to pick up…

-Ray
Old 05-09-2024, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I know folks who own just one - a friend who plays a whole lot more than me who plays the D35 I sold to him in 1996. Immaculately well behaved for a Martin, and apart from the repaired "airport" fracture it had from new, it was in very good condition.

I played it from 1975 until 1996.

I don't think he has cleaned it since he bought it and doesn't know what strings are on it, or when last changed. But ... it still sounds louder and fuller than any other D35 I ever encountered.
This man you speak of. He is the Messiah.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

I tried to simplify life and reduce my number of guitars, as part of that.

I fanatasize about the time when I am retired and just sit with my one favorite acoustic and play on my patio.

Until then, I have way too many diverse needs and can't satisfactorily use just one guitar:
  • one really good fingerstyle guitar
  • an OK guitar that is a stunt double for that which I can take rough-and-tumble bars
  • an even cheaper stunt double I can leave in our warehouse rehearsal studio
  • a 12 string for some band songs
  • my electric for most band songs
  • a cheaper electric to leave in the studio
  • a teeny travel guitar
  • etcetera

Although counter-intuitive, by adding guitars, for dedicated purposes and places, I have simplified my life - no worrying about which guitar can go where or lugging guitars all over all week.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-09-2024, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Some times certain folks are happy to de-complicate their lives. And you no longer have additional money tied up, seeing how you only ever play one at a time.
This is the correct answer. I've got 6 acoustics, which is by no means a lot compared to many folks around here. But I have been thinking of getting down to 1 and being done with it. Wishful thinking perhaps, but at least I am having these thoughts vs what my next purchase will be.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion