The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2024, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

The only negative issue I have found is with recording. All those beautiful, lush harmonics can get lost in a mix.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 01-22-2024, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Mahogany can sound lush too. The most overtone heavy guitar I own is a Collings DS1A. It's richer and darker than my Bourgeois DS Brazilian rosewood. It's all up to the builder.

I like all types of guitars but tend to prefer ones that are lush in the highs but have a dry bass. I find east Indian rosewood tends to have heavy upper bass and low mid overtones that can sometimes muddy up the sound for my tastes. Sometimes. I record so most of my instruments have a dry bass response. But, I do enjoy a very lush, rich guitar just for playing and enjoying the sound in the room.
Old 01-22-2024, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
To be honest over the years I have found tone woods to be of little difference. The builder seems to be the controlling factor.
I'm with you. Builder trumps tonewood by a country mile. If you want a ringing guitar choose a builder who makes that style. If you want a dry guitar choose a builder who makes that style. Back and side wood choice might change the timbre "a bit" but its not really going to override the building style.
Old 01-22-2024, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Spilling drinks all over the place, breaking into my stash, its out of here!
Old 01-22-2024, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Spilling drinks all over the place, breaking into my stash, it's out of here!
Showing up late for an important gig and puking all over the stage was the last straw for me...
Old 01-22-2024, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

I outgrew a very fine Martin M36 because I morphed from a 50/50 split to all flatpicking and to dreadnoughts. Rosewood guitars smeared the notes too much for me. But as I've improved, I can play rosewood much cleaner. But in general, I find many fine guitars too lush. I prefer a GE over an Authentic, and a really good mid sixties Martin over the GE. It's nothing more than a preference, and it's guitar specific. My one rosewood dread is a 2007 D 35 Custom. Much drier that you'd imagine.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-22-2024, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I outgrew a very fine Martin M36 because I morphed from a 50/50 split to all flatpicking and to dreadnoughts. Rosewood guitars smeared the notes too much for me. But as I've improved, I can play rosewood much cleaner. But in general, I find many fine guitars too lush. I prefer a GE over an Authentic, and a really good mid sixties Martin over the GE. It's nothing more than a preference, and it's guitar specific. My one rosewood dread is a 2007 D 35 Custom. Much drier that you'd imagine.

My 2000 D 35 was super dry. It was a great recording Guitar.
Old 01-22-2024, 04:57 PM

Lack of definition.
Old 01-22-2024, 05:34 PM

Same as above.

I used to play trad jazz and such on plectrum banjos - for same reason; clarity, note separation and balance are what i want in a jazz instrument, vocal accompaniment, etc.
Old 01-22-2024, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

I don't know what lush means. Does it mean muffled?

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-22-2024, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
I'll give you three non-guitar examples to try to illustrate, of my "lushest, wettest" instruments.

Wire harp: sustain forever, enhanced overtones.

Hardanger fiddle: sympathetic strings to enhance overtones

Wet-tuned accordion: increased separation of "unison"-tuned reeds (vs dry-tuned accordions with decreased separation in unison-tuned reeds)
Old 01-22-2024, 07:54 PM

What is my negative Issue with a too lush Guitar?...

Not having one! : )
Old 01-22-2024, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Lush means rich in overtones and people often use the word to describe a pleasing sheen of overtones in the high frequencies. That said, there's no standardized vocabulary for audio terms and not everyone understands the terms they are using so one can't assume.
I've had customers tell me they want a "chocolate" midrange or a "velvet bass". I'm pretty well versed in audio terms, using them professionally every day, but I've never bitten into a piece of chocolate that evoked a sense of midrange so I'm at a loss with some of these terms.
Old 01-23-2024, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBman View Post
The only negative issue I have found is with recording. All those beautiful, lush harmonics can get lost in a mix.
Yeah this is what I was thinking too. Wouldn’t think it an issue with rosewood generally or Collings at all. Goodalls are probably among my favorite sounding guitars in a room, but tough in a mix.
Old 01-23-2024, 02:28 AM
Charter Member

My negative issue is it’s to lush. I don’t need excessive overtones mucking with the fundamentals. Especially a problem when recording multiple instruments, more especially when those instruments require even marginal amounts of compression. It’s like walking in a lovely fog.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion