The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Has your Martin had binding problems?
I'm a 2010-2020 Martin owner, but no plastic/celluloid binding problem experienced 119 50.42%
Binding problem experienced on one or more of my 2010-2020 Martins 117 49.58%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2024, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
All good and peachy if you intend to keep the guitar no matter what, but if you want to move it on for some reason, well......don’t expect as much as you hoped.

To me the actual binding fix is ok, but it is the re-finish done properly that is the concern.....big time consuming task to do right.

My acoustics are looked after very well and generally leave the building looking pretty much the same as when they came in........many times better if I had work done.

But after all the binding and finish repairs done professionally, when consigned it had to be declared and down went the price. Gone....to be done with it all.

BluesKing777.
Amen about the finish work. Good luck finding anyone who wants to do it. I had a J40 that had binding issues in all 4 spots of the waist all at different points in time over 2-3 year period. Took it to the nearest martin authorized repair center every time and they glued it under warranty. They did one properly with finish touch up but made a big deal out of it because they didn't make much for it. I compensated them to make it happen. I ended up selling it for a lot more than I thought I'd get even with the binding issue. The buyer viewed it as a point of authenticity which I found somewhat amusing. I see this model listed on this forum without binding issues asking about the same so I didn't take a loss because of it. Depends on the buyer I guess.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hess View Post
Amen about the finish work. Good luck finding anyone who wants to do it. I had a J40 that had binding issues in all 4 spots of the waist all at different points in time over 2-3 year period. Took it to the nearest martin authorized repair center every time and they glued it under warranty. They did one properly with finish touch up but made a big deal out of it because they didn't make much for it. I compensated them to make it happen. I ended up selling it for a lot more than I thought I'd get even with the binding issue. The buyer viewed it as a point of authenticity which I found somewhat amusing. I see this model listed on this forum without binding issues asking about the same so I didn't take a loss because of it. Depends on the buyer I guess.
Really? I hope that catches on!

Lost a bundle on mine, glad they are gone....hope the necks fall off as the people were quite rude.

BluesKing777.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

I was wondering how many people have had the binding issue again after it was fixed? I'm planning on taking mine in next Tuesday to my Martin repair guy and see if they can fix it. I bought my 2017 D-28 new so it's under warranty. I love the guitar so I wouldn't want to sell it. But I don't want the guitar to fall apart either.
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon's Engleman top & Adi top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Fender Princeton Reverb Tonemaster
Old 05-21-2024, 05:52 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Sorry to those now joining the 'Martin Binding Problems Club' - I hope you can get the issue taken care of, and it does not return.

I would encourage you to keep playing your guitar(s)!
Old 05-21-2024, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Really? I hope that catches on!

Lost a bundle on mine, glad they are gone....hope the necks fall off as the people were quite rude.

BluesKing777.
Yeah, I was surprised. Sorry you took such a loss. That j40 had binding everywhere and I didn’t want to deal with it anymore. I buy guitars to play not to waste time with nuisance repairs like this. And after four fails within 3 years it was a nuisance. I’m glad it’s gone too.
Old 05-24-2024, 06:35 PM

My D18 and d28 are both from that era. No issues yet. Great guitars.
Old 05-24-2024, 10:40 PM

My CEO-7 just got bindings loose on two sides!!

Aaaargghhhh!

Well: I'd want to modify my vote.

Ll.
2022 Logan Custom Telecaster
2023 Eastman 910CE-TC
Old 05-26-2024, 09:14 PM

Default 2015 D18

My 2015 D 18 standard had binding separation at the waist in all 4 locations ( top & back, front & rear) after about 5 years of carefully stored & humidity controlled ownership.
Old 05-26-2024, 09:40 PM

I have sympathy for all you Martin guitar owners who've had to deal with these binding issues.

But it makes me feel slightly bad about not being able to afford a Martin D-18 ($2,800) and getting a Blueridge BR-140 instead ($860).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion