The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Yeah,... makes you wonder if all of the guitars on that truck ship for $22.82, whether they are jumping off somewhere in Colorado or going all the way to Boston.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:39 PM

I wonder what the shipping charge to Hawaii will be :-/
Old 02-10-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevin View Post
I wonder what the shipping charge to Hawaii will be :-/
you could always trust it to a hop doc i'm hoping my e-mail comes in soon or i'm headin' around the corner to guzzijeff's to borrow his !!!!
Old 02-10-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akafloyd View Post
Here's a link to a special run of Taylor GS Minis with solid Engelmann spruce tops and figured maple laminated back and sides. The trees that provided the wood for the bodies came from projects in Washington state where creeks were being diverted. Proceeds from the sales go to a couple of clean water projects in central America.

http://www.holdenvillage.org/book/holden-guitar/

I live and work at Holden Village, where the Engelmann came from, but receive no benefits from the sales.
I'm an ELCA Lutheran pastor and i hope to be able to visit Holden some day!
Old 02-11-2014, 01:57 AM

Just check my telephoned in order to Taylor last wed 2/5, It's in Portland(Monday) and will be out for delivery in the am, I should have it by noon(Tues)
Old 02-11-2014, 10:24 AM

Doesn't make much sense that telephoned orders are going out before pre-orders. Oh well guess I'll just need to be patient, hope you enjoy it let the rest of us that are still waiting know how it sounds and post some pictures. Enjoy.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phwap View Post
Doesn't make much sense that telephoned orders are going out before pre-orders. Oh well guess I'll just need to be patient, hope you enjoy it let the rest of us that are still waiting know how it sounds and post some pictures. Enjoy.
I am sure there are enough to go around. Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 02-11-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I am sure there are enough to go around. Steve
Yes sir, I'm sure there are.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:25 PM

To those fortunate people who have Minis enroute, please remember to post playing impressions and maybe even clips, as well as the obligatory photos, of course.

Pleasantly surprised that Taylor is keeping the shipping costs reasonable. Another company might have taken the opportunity to make a few extra bucks profit. What a quality company.

On an unrelated note, does anyone plan on removing the pickguard?
Old 02-11-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjino View Post
To those fortunate people who have Minis enroute, please remember to post playing impressions and maybe even clips, as well as the obligatory photos, of course.

Pleasantly surprised that Taylor is keeping the shipping costs reasonable. Another company might have taken the opportunity to make a few extra bucks profit. What a quality company.

On an unrelated note, does anyone plan on removing the pickguard?
I actually liked the picture someone posted of a mini without guard and I did like it, but I believe Englemann is softer than other top woods? Maybe need protection?

The reviews of the first ones may sell a lot more or......... Personally I think the Englemann will be a great top for this guitar, here's hoping.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 02-11-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I actually liked the picture someone posted of a mini without guard and I did like it, but I believe Englemann is softer than other top woods? Maybe need protection?

The reviews of the first ones may sell a lot more or......... Personally I think the Englemann will be a great top for this guitar, here's hoping.

Right, Steve - I'll give impressions from the two prototypes I've had come thru the house...

I've never played a guitar straight off the line, and these, like your will be, were fresh from the shop. Both instruments sounded bright right out of the box, and warmed and deepened with a couple of days of playing. Very nice overtones across the scale, just like other Engelmann topped guitars I've played (the custom Podium Martin OM-28 that originally inspired this thing, and the Taylor 714 sunburst)

I've heard that Elixir strings are like this, so it may be simply the strings getting played in a little bit. Or it may be the guitar top getting some play, but the difference between hour 1 and hour 6 of playing has been remarkable twice now.

Both have been lovely instruments, and I spent so much time with these trees over the past year that I could swear I recognized some of it

Cheers, Dave Olson
Old 02-11-2014, 05:15 PM

I know it's been up here for a couple of months or so now, but I don't think I've ever seen another thread with nearly 18,000 views before.
Lotsa love for those Minis around here!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:19 PM

I've been playing around on the prototype here at Holden Village for the last couple of weeks and I agree with Varve about how it develops. At first the sound was nice and mellow with one or two strings standing out. After a while the bass response developed pretty suddenly, like one evening it sounded more pronounced than that afternoon, and now the string balance is more even. I don't think that can be attributed to the strings settling... I still haven't had a chance to a/b it with the standard one we have someplace, but it strikes me as a little less boxy/midrangey than what I think of as a typical gs mini. It's certainly not big by any means but it doesn't sound like a small guitar - difficult to convey...
Old 02-11-2014, 06:23 PM

My ordinary ol' spruce top mini has definitely "opened up" in the couple of years I've had it. I like Martin PB 13s on it. Sounds "dread-ful".
Old 02-11-2014, 07:51 PM

i'll have the unique ability to A/B it with my spruce top and my 'hog mini. i can't wait to sit with all 3 and compare them ! ( if my preorders are ever accepted)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion