The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-23-2024, 05:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Troy (my assumption)
I use a 50' dish for my top, and build off of that. All of my top brace ar curved to match the dish EXCEPT for the UTB, which I approximate double the radius on. I do this by eye. I do this to stiffen the upper bout as I want it to resist resonance. I do not understand where your gap occurred. Between what and what? Is the center of the FB making contact but not the sides? When I glue on my FB it is w/o a playing surface, and I can clamp it on the edges which may distort it but it doesn't matter at that point. I have never noticed a problem. I do think your top radius works better for a modern guitar than for a traditional guitar.
Bruce
Old 04-23-2024, 05:57 PM

Thanks Bruce. My gap was between the edge of the fretboard and the top as you said. The middle of the fretboard was tight to the top, but the edges of the fretboard didn't close unless I strategically scraped a "bowl" on the underside of the fretboard to match the top if I remember correctly. Perhaps I will investigate the use of a larger radius. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-25-2024, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

I agree with all of Tadol's comments on the various guitars he recently played again at Bruce's shop. I've played them too, with the exception of Dread Lightning, and couldn't have described them any better. I also think the Olive guitar might be the prettiest I've ever seen.

Another thought I forgot to mention that might be of use to anyone here considering a custom build....IMO the Schertler tuners are the way to go. Over the years I've had guitars with just about every tuner out there, including all the ones Bruce has used on his list. The Schertlers are the smoothest and most accurate open backed tuners I've ever had, and are some of the lightest available as well. They are the only open backed machines that compare in performance to the Gotoh 510 sealed back models, which are my reference standard for a smooth and accurate tuner.

If someone just has to have the the more traditional Waverly look, I'd suggest going with Gotoh's latest version of that type. They look nearly identical to the Waverlies (though the plated finish is not quite as fine), but function better due to a different post/bushing design.

Last edited by Palladio; 04-26-2024 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

In case anyone is wondering why Bruce isn’t posting, it’s because he’s traveling in Spain, a kind of “roots” tour -

A quick shot of us in Cadaques - he’s probably imagining some detail for his next build, or if he has enough snakewood for bindings - I’m wondering if we can walk back over to that little bar that had the incredible Negrito. And we’re both wondering what it’ll take to get our wives out of the gift shops -

Back soon!
Old 05-07-2024, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
In case anyone is wondering why Bruce isn’t posting, it’s because he’s traveling in Spain, a kind of “roots” tour -

A quick shot of us in Cadaques - he’s probably imagining some detail for his next build, or if he has enough snakewood for bindings - I’m wondering if we can walk back over to that little bar that had the incredible Negrito. And we’re both wondering what it’ll take to get our wives out of the gift shops -

Back soon!
Love this! Hope you all enjoy every moment!
Old 05-21-2024, 09:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

I am freshly returned from 2 weeks and 3 days in Spain with Linda, and our friends Tad and Nancy Laird. The return flight involved 28 consecutive hours of consciousness, so it has taken a few days for my recovery. We were required to arrive at the Barcelona airport 4 hours before our flight, and then the ticket counter was not manned at all for an hour after our arrival there! American Airlines, in case you wondered.

A few noteworthy moments I’d like to mention: We caught a Flamenco show at Casa de la Guitarras in Sevilla that was the real deal. Duende was present throughout, and I had tears streaming down my face for much of the hour and a half. We decided to try again in the flamenco caves above Granada, but sadly that turned out to me a tourist “Flamenco Factory” with as many tiny chairs as possible, complementary drinks that were undrinkable, and mediocre though competent performers.

I have made a number of what I imagine to be Flamenco Guitars, but am pretty sure I am missing the mark in some unknown ways, so I tried to find one in Spain to bring home. My goal was to get a super light Flamenco Blanco with wooden pegs, ideally made by the talented apprentice of a true master. The sort of guitar they make cheap enough that a gypsy can afford it, but entirely competent. Like my WRX series, perhaps. Tad and I found such a shop in Granada! Unfortunately, we only had a day left there, and the luthier was out. He was attending the funeral of his master, whose shop was a few doors away but closed for obvious reasons. He had died the day before. Some things aren’t supposed to happen, apparently.

While driving from Barcelona to Madrid we became hungry and in looking for a likely town we spotted a castle on a hilltop and set out for it. Sure enough, it was a non-tourist sleepy little town with a cafe that was open. Across the street (alley!) was a ruin that had collapsed spectacularly. It appeared to be an annex to the several hundred year old church next to it. Our speculation about it caused the mature local at the next table to speak up. He had spent a college year in the USA and had mild competence in English. We were informed that the structure had collapsed in a wind storm just that same week! In geological terms, we are lucky it didn’t fall on us!

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 05-21-2024 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-21-2024, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
In geological terms, we are lucky it didn’t fall on us!
In geological terms, I think it did!

Sounds like a great trip. I have been to many of those places, albeit long ago. This would be a great time of year to be there.
Old 05-21-2024, 01:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
In geological terms, I think it did!

Sounds like a great trip. I have been to many of those places, albeit long ago. This would be a great time of year to be there.
We imagined we were traveling BEFORE tourist season, but except for Valencia, I cannot easily imagine more tourists. I wish we had spent more time in Valencia as it seemed more genuine than any of the other over run towns we were in, not to say they weren't great too.
Old 05-21-2024, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
We imagined we were traveling BEFORE tourist season, but except for Valencia, I cannot easily imagine more tourists. I wish we had spent more time in Valencia as it seemed more genuine than any of the other over run towns we were in, not to say they weren't great too.
Yes, I went in fall thinking the same thing. There were still many tourists and the Spaniards, particularly those who have to deal with the tourist onslaught, seemed weary from doing so. We found Portugal to be less over-run, equally though differently interesting, and with particularly great food!! Again, long ago and could be entirely different today.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:33 PM

Sounds like a (mostly) wonderful trip, Bruce. Really glad you all got to go and enjoy it! And glad you're back...this is my favorite thread on the forum!
Old 05-21-2024, 05:02 PM

Quote:
A few noteworthy moments I’d like to mention: We caught a Flamenco show at Casa de la Guitarras in Sevilla that was the real deal. Duende was present throughout, and I had tears streaming down my face for much of the hour and a half. We decided to try again in the flamenco caves above Granada, but sadly that turned out to me a tourist “Flamenco Factory” with as many tiny chairs as possible, complementary drinks that were undrinkable, and mediocre though competent performers.

I have made a number of what I imagine to be Flamenco Guitars, but am pretty sure I am missing the mark in some unknown ways, so I tried to find one in Spain to bring home. My goal was to get a super light Flamenco Blanco with wooden pegs, ideally made by the talented apprentice of a true master. The sort of guitar they make cheap enough that a gypsy can afford it, but entirely competent. Like my WRX series, perhaps. Tad and I found such a shop in Granada! Unfortunately, we only had a day left there, and the luthier was out. He was attending the funeral of his master, whose shop was a few doors away but closed for obvious reasons. He had died the day before. Some things aren’t supposed to happen, apparently.

Sounds like a great trip Bruce! The caves of El Sacromonte in Granada are famous for their fairly traditional flamenco shows and culture. Unfortunately many are the Disneyland-esque caricature you seemed to have experienced; the real thing is definitely something special though!

I assume the deceased builder you're referring to is Pepe Lopez Bellido, quite sad to see the old guard of Granada luthiers slowly start to disappear. If you're still looking for a great flamenco from Granada made by a talented young maker I'm happy to offer suggestions!
Old 05-21-2024, 06:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzkinguitars View Post
Sounds like a great trip Bruce! The caves of El Sacromonte in Granada are famous for their fairly traditional flamenco shows and culture. Unfortunately many are the Disneyland-esque caricature you seemed to have experienced; the real thing is definitely something special though!

I assume the deceased builder you're referring to is Pepe Lopez Bellido, quite sad to see the old guard of Granada luthiers slowly start to disappear. If you're still looking for a great flamenco from Granada made by a talented young maker I'm happy to offer suggestions!
I thought I had taken a picture of the funeral notice on the luthier's shop door, but alas, I cannot find it. I do think you have named the right person. His student down the street makes flamenco guitars and has this page, but none of his guitars seem to have wooden pegs, and I am stuck on that feature. Looking at his work, it is a bit slicker than what I picture in my mind. At this point I am not as excited about buying one sight unseen, and have found new interest in the Catalpa/EuroSpruce instrument I have on hand. Not sure how it could be better, and that is a good feeling even if naive.
Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Bruce, following the link in your post above and doing a google search, I found this facebook page by the same luthier you mentioned.

http://www.facebook.com/guitarraaymanbitar/

He posted a lovely message about the recently deceased guitar master José Lopez Bellido, and a few posts below there is a well played demo of one of Ayman's new flamenco guitars.

Thanks Bruce for sharing some highlights from your trip. Now you have me itching to go to Spain again! I was only there once for a few days in Madrid years ago. I remember great food, friendly people, and very very very late night clubs full of beautiful women. I didn't get a chance to hear Flamenco there, but I have heard some that also brought me to tears at a small place in Brooklyn, where players from Spain like to hang out when visiting the USA. I never truly understood the power of that music until hearing it live in an intimate setting, with players who are the "real deal" as you said. It was one of those beautiful moments where the music was so powerful and intoxicating, it brought me into a sort of trance where time and the outside world faded away.....the music became everything.

Last edited by Palladio; Yesterday at 12:03 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladio View Post
Bruce, following the link in your post above and doing a google search, I found this facebook page by the same luthier you mentioned.

http://www.facebook.com/guitarraaymanbitar/

He posted a lovely message about the recently deceased guitar master José Lopez Bellido, and a few posts below there is a well played demo of one of Ayman's new flamenco guitars.

Thanks Bruce for sharing some highlights from your trip. Now you have me itching to go to Spain again! I was only there once for a few days in Madrid years ago. I remember great food, friendly people, and very very very late night clubs full of beautiful women. I didn't get a chance to hear Flamenco there, but I have heard some that also brought me to tears at a small place in Brooklyn, where players from Spain like to hang out when visiting the USA. I never truly understood the power of that music until hearing it live in an intimate setting, with players who are the "real deal" as you said. It was one of those beautiful moments where the music was so powerful and intoxicating, it brought me into a sort of trance where time and the outside world faded away.....the music became everything.
I was traveling with my wife, so I HAVE to say I failed to notice the many beautiful women.
Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM

Well said.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop