The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-15-2024, 12:28 AM

Every time I think acoustics are too expensive I go shopping for a custom built classical guitar. Suddenly, all my other guitar wants seem reasonable.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBee View Post
On the helpful advice of other members, I dropped into McCabes Guitar Shop in Santa Monica while on a visit to LA from Canada. What a great spot!
Glad you had fun there. I went there once during a visit to LA too, and really liked the vibe of the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I think it all comes down to the individual instrument and how it fits the player.
Spot on. As a fingerstyle player at home and with a very light playing style, my guitars would be way off the needs of a gigging bluegrasser or singer/strummer. And vice versa. We are all so fortunate that we have a wide variety of fine guitars to choose from and at a wide range of price points.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Beyond the 3-4k range I feel like I'm paying for things I don't appreciate. Just give me good tone and feel, something that inspires me when I hear it. Definitely don't need a $7k guitar to find that. As usual, YMMV.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 05-15-2024, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Interesting that you prefer the Sitka top. My DS1 is Sitka topped and I’ve always wondered if it would sound any better with Adi. I’m extremely happy with it as is, just one of those grass is always greener situations!
Hi, it's not "just" the top - it is just that there is a little more love for the later, plainer one.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:57 AM

The cost of things?

Past a certain price point, you start to approach commissioned guitar territory. I realized that the "catch and release" system was no longer working to my advantage, and it was time to commission a guitar specific to my ergonomic needs and wants. It wasn't cheap but much cheaper than the combined cost of the guitars stored on the walls, closets, garage, etc. I sold it all and commissioned my first guitar. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

The cost of things?

My homeowner's insurance just went up 750% from last year.

Tommy
Old 05-15-2024, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBee View Post
On the helpful advice of other members, I dropped into McCabes Guitar Shop in Santa Monica while on a visit to LA from Canada. What a great spot! Extremely friendly and helpful staff, great selection of instruments, both new and used. They had no problem with me picking up any guitar and trying it out. I tried a bunch from their extensive selection of used guitiars. The two that I found most impressive were a MIJ Yamaha LL15 from the 90s and a 2004 Collings DS1 12-fret slope shoulder dread. The Yamaha was loud, resonant and rich sounding, and in immaculate condition. At $900 I though it was a steal (compared to a new LL16, for example). But I'm not really strongly oriented toward the rosewood sound.

The Collings really seduced me though: loud, responsive, straightforward, and extremely balanced. The shop guy said it was his favourite guitar in the store. I thought about it and thought about it. But at $7200 Canadian (plus customs), I would literally have had to sell two Webbers and an Avalon to afford the Collings. The Collings is certainly a great guitar, but is it qualitatively better than all of the other guitars that I own? I really don't think so. Nonetheless, it was a pleasure and a privelege to play it for a few minutes, and I'll remember that for a long time to come.
Ha, you loved the 900 dollar and the 7200 dollar guitar. I think I would learn to enjoy the 'rosewood' sound.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 05-15-2024, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

A well-made, properly-set-up, great-handling, fine-sounding guitar is a gigging tool. Very satisfying to me and entertaining for others.

On the flip side, while I appreciate beauty, craftsmanship, prestige and uniqueness, I see prices spiraling vertically like a Strike Eagle in full afterburner. Climbing through a certain "altitude," it quickly becomes a matter of diminishing returns - for me anyway. YMMV.

Last edited by tinnitus; 05-15-2024 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
I think once you hit a certain price point, maybe around $3,500-5,000, guitars don’t get that much better sounding or easier to play; just different.
While I understand that the experience of many if not most here has been limited to factory-built and small shop brand-name instruments, a sweeping generalization like this is complete nonsense. Single luthier custom-built instruments are in another category altogether, and while not cheap, those of us who play them believe they are worth every penny.

Quote:
But is the impact on sound and playability that significant?
Yes, but 'significant' is relative. Some of us will pay a good bit extra for that Tone that can't be found anywhere else. But of course even among luthier-built instruments, some do this better than others and their higher prices reflect that.

Quote:
Collings guitars are very expensive and very nice.
'Very expensive and very nice' are both relative terms. Remember, the market decides the cost; the buyer decides the value.

Last edited by jmagill; 05-17-2024 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
'Very expensive and very nice' are both relative terms. Remember, the market decides the cost; the buyer decides the value.
Truer words were never spoken.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

I truly appreciate everything about Collings guitars. I ended up with three Collings and two of Bill’s vintage cases as well as a Martin in 2020. I realized that I had a lot of money tied up in boutique guitars when I am more of a jeans and t-shirt guy. I am now much happier, on several levels, with my $2700 D18GE than I was with my $6K baked D1T.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:03 AM

I recently obtained a Huss and Dalton - that previously I would have considered out of my budget.

I traded two Martins to get it, a Custom Shop and a UK special (Westside Custom). Don't get me wrong, both great guitars, but I never reached for them, I'd always pick up my OM21 or my 000-17.

The H&D is another step up in build quality. I can't say that it's a better sound - it's definitely different to the 'Martin' sound, which is one reason I wanted it. Plays beautifully, feels close enough with neck profiles etc that I don't have to work to swap between guitars. Is it worth that much more? Probably not... Am I glad/proud to own it - definitely!

I also take it to the acoustic nights/open mics I attend - they're quiet, I keep it to hand... I treat guitars as instruments to be used (and I make sure they're fully insured) rather than museum pieces to be looked at.

I figure if you can afford something, whether by cash or trade, and you want it - then go for it. I think you have to work out whether what you gain is more than what you lose, and that's a very personal thing. Some might think me mad for the trade I did, but I'm happy with a slightly smaller stable, and I pick all three up equally now, so that's good. I'm not advocating for going over budget or anything like that!

Huss and Dalton 00-SP
Martin OM21
Martin 000-17SM
Sigma SDM-18S
Naylor 'Spered Evel' custom made
Old 05-17-2024, 04:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBman View Post
Beyond the 3-4k range I feel like I'm paying for things I don't appreciate. Just give me good tone and feel, something that inspires me when I hear it. Definitely don't need a $7k guitar to find that. As usual, YMMV.
Quite agree. I have one in that range that inspires me. Looking for number two. GAS has a way of distorting inspiration.
Old 05-17-2024, 06:29 AM

I have a 000-42 that I love and I play it a lot. I also have a Guild MA240 that I play a lot as well. 1 $5000 guitar and 1 $500 guitar. And they are both fun to play and I play both of them a lot. The Martin is a much nicer guitar no doubt that Guild is just a fun little blues box.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion