The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-11-2024, 10:56 PM

Default Hey folks with a yam silent guitar....have us seen

this....pretty nice mag pickup for your guitar.

https://www.borsipickups.com/?gad_so...SAAEgKcKfD_BwE
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M, Enya X4pm
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 05-12-2024, 03:39 PM

They were on sale for a pretty significant discount recently. They look great but are rather expensive. My Silent Guitar is the nylon one, so it is irrelevant to that.
Old 05-12-2024, 10:02 PM

How much of a discount? And where did you learn of the discount?

An interesting idea. Though I suspect most of us who have the Yamaha Silent Guitar bought it for it's fantastic acoustic sound.

$488 seems a bit too expensive to add the versatility of an electric pickup sound, too. But still an interesting idea if one wants to be able to switch between an acoustic pickup and electric pickup type sound on the same guitar.
Old 05-13-2024, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
How much of a discount? And where did you learn of the discount?

An interesting idea. Though I suspect most of us who have the Yamaha Silent Guitar bought it for it's fantastic acoustic sound.

$488 seems a bit too expensive to add the versatility of an electric pickup sound, too. But still an interesting idea if one wants to be able to switch between an acoustic pickup and electric pickup type sound on the same guitar.
I agree ...beautiful but too expensive. How bout something like a dearmond rhythm chief ?
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M, Enya X4pm
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 05-14-2024, 07:33 AM

They sound very thin and stringy to me.

But I do have to say, what an elegant design. A+ there.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-14-2024, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurth View Post
I agree ...beautiful but too expensive. How bout something like a dearmond rhythm chief ?
You know, that's a single coil pickup, and there's TWO humbucker pickups on this thing, so maybe the price isn't all that crazy, especially when you consider the design.

I emailed and asked to see if they had any discount codes. They sent me one (a measly 5% off), but decided to go ahead and order one.

I gig with the Yamaha Silent Guitar, and having another option for sound seems pretty interesting to me. I kinda liked the blended sound demos, too.

Another way I thought about it: it's almost like having a backup guitar (at least the electronics section). What if the standard pickup decided not to work at a gig? I'd at least have this alternate pickup to use (and it doesn't require batteries).
Old 05-15-2024, 07:56 AM

Quote:
You know, that's a single coil pickup, and there's TWO humbucker pickups on this thing, so maybe the price isn't all that crazy, especially when you consider the design.

I emailed and asked to see if they had any discount codes. They sent me one (a measly 5% off), but decided to go ahead and order one.

I gig with the Yamaha Silent Guitar, and having another option for sound seems pretty interesting to me. I kinda liked the blended sound demos, too.

Another way I thought about it: it's almost like having a backup guitar (at least the electronics section). What if the standard pickup decided not to work at a gig? I'd at least have this alternate pickup to use (and it doesn't require batteries).
It's a pretty innovative idea for the Yamaha Silent players. It might be possible to add something like a Bartolini Thinline bucker or the 1/4" thick Lace bucker to a Yamaha Silent, but this works as an entire package, simply attach it and you're done.

Do pull up this topic and include what you think about the product after you install it and get used to playing with it.

Last edited by Rudy4; 05-15-2024 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-15-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Do pull up this topic and include what you think about the product after you install it and get used to playing with it.
I'm trying to think what the simplest way of combining the two outputs would be for use at an open mic. Ideally it wouldn't require power, and would combine the two 1/4" inputs into a single 1/4" output . . . since most open mics just hand you a 1/4" cable to plug into.

For use at a gig, there are more options to consider.
Old 05-15-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
It should be here this Friday (incredibly quick shipping from Hungary, given that I ordered it on Tuesday morning).

I have a battery-powered Bose S1. I suppose I could plug each output into that and use the 1/4" line out to plug the 1/4" cable the open mic hands me to plug into.
Old 05-15-2024, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to think what the simplest way of combining the two outputs would be for use at an open mic. Ideally it wouldn't require power, and would combine the two 1/4" inputs into a single 1/4" output . . . since most open mics just hand you a 1/4" cable to plug into.

For use at a gig, there are more options to consider.
Although the new pickups will be passive magnetic they may be hot enough to provide sufficient signal to the 1/8" auxiliary input on the Yamaha. You might get enough combined signal to the 1/4" output jack. That would be particularly useful if you like the built in effects of the Yamaha.

All of that depends on the gain structure of the input jack of the Yamaha and how the signal flow is routed. The auxiliary may not even go to the 1/4" output, but it's worth checking the manual.
Old 05-15-2024, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Although the new pickups will be passive magnetic they may be hot enough to provide sufficient signal to the 1/8" auxiliary input on the Yamaha. You might get enough combined signal to the 1/4" output jack. That would be particularly useful if you like the built in effects of the Yamaha.

All of that depends on the gain structure of the input jack of the Yamaha and how the signal flow is routed. The auxiliary may not even go to the 1/4" output, but it's worth checking the manual.
Dang, that's brilliant! (if it works).

I ordered this . . . could be useful for other things, as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HR5ZW12/
Old 05-15-2024, 04:11 PM

Quote:

I think that would actually work!

From the manual:

https://jp.yamaha.com/files/download...6770_r1_en.pdf

"• Never return the signal sent from Silent Guitar’s outputs directly, or via an external device to the AUX IN jack. Doing so can result in a feedback loop that may result in damaging the instrument’s electronics."

That implies, to me, that the AUX IN signal must also be going out the main 1/4" output of the guitar.

Any reason you can see *not* to try this?
Old 05-15-2024, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Thanks . . . just canceled the order for the Morley device (it could prove useful for other things, but I only ordered it for this purpose), and replaced it with an order for this (the 6" should be long enough).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Q8W6B3Z/
Old 05-15-2024, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks . . . just canceled the order for the Morley device (it could prove useful for other things, but I only ordered it for this purpose), and replaced it with an order for this (the 6" should be long enough).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Q8W6B3Z/
You are working a mish-mash of mono and stereo connections as well as levels, so it might take a bit of experimentation to get where you want to be. The stereo 1/4" to 1/8" cable should work fine from what I see in the manual.

If the AUX level lacks sensitivity, ideally you would want to re-wire the internals so the "MIC"wiring actually connects to the AUX input jack. That would probably take care of the blend level, but without having knowledge of their electronics that's a bit of a guess. That would eliminate the MIC part of the circuit, but allow the smooth blending of the piezo bridge element and your new dual bucker pickup.

You are going where no man has gone before!
Old 05-15-2024, 08:00 PM

Quote:
You are going where no man has gone before!
If the world blows up this weekend, you know what happened. LOL

Don't think I'll be messing with anything internal. But we'll see what this does.

It's possible that if I turn down the volume knob on the SG200, its output from the piezo might go away and if I turn up both the input on the Borsi and the input on the Aux-In, I might end up getting a good signal of just the humbuckers. We shall see.

I don't think I'd typically run it in "full humbucker" mode, though. But I liked (in the video) where they blended the humbucker with the SG200 piezo. So I'm thinking of just mixing in a bit of the Borsi with the SG200 . . it might make for a more interesting sound.

I already know one guy (a professional) who tours with the SG200, so this would set me apart from him. LOL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification