The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-09-2024, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Used D-18(though under $2K is getting hard to find) or new Blueridge BR140 or 140a
Old 05-09-2024, 02:40 PM

Let me add one from left field, because it’s not traditional: The Gibson G-200. I went looking for a large, solid wood flattop at the start of the year. I have a well loved Yamaha Eterna laminate dread (my first guitar, now 40 years old) and a couple of vintage Gibson archtops.

I was thinking D-15, D-18, D-16, or J-45/35/G-45, and I tried all of these except the G-45, and that because the stores (a couple of the NYC Guitar Centers) didn’t have any in stock. What they did have was the G-200. I tried it just for the heck of it and was blown away. I had read enough negative comments here that I didn’t expect much, but it is an amazingly good instrument. Balanced string to string, up and down the neck; but with a huge depth that none of my other guitars can match. And it doesn’t break up no matter how hard I pick it.

It really is like a big 000 or OM; in fact, it’s about the same depth. With the balance and power and bass response, I think of it as a flattop for archtop players (but then my favorite guitar IS my L-50, so I would say that). Anyway, it was also a great buy, because it was on sale at about $500 off the $1900 list price. Looking now, I see it back around $1900. I imagine that with the Memorial Day holiday approaching, there should be some sales and discounts going.

Try one. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarhog View Post
Depending on your preference for top wood, I would look at a Taylor AD27 or AD17.

Taylor AD27e
This guitar responds really well to a light touch, as the OP is wanting. I think it's excellent for finger picking. (OP: I just bought and reviewed this guitar if you want more info. It's on page 2 of the general section.)

But there's been some other great suggestions in this thread: a good D-18 (used) or an Eastman E10D can be a nice choice if you find the right one. But for a "light touch" (very subjective), I think the Taylor above is a solid option.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
The Martin d-16 Special Rosewood that you get from GC or MF is going away the best guitar under $2000. And you can get 15% off just for asking.

I has the same materials and bracing as an HD-28. It just lacks the fancy trimmings. At around $1500, it's probably the best bargain of all guitars right now.
I played one recently and loved it. Getting ready to sell my beloved Gibson J15 so I can pick one up.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
The Martin d-16 Special Rosewood that you get from GC or MF is going away the best guitar under $2000. And you can get 15% off just for asking.

I has the same materials and bracing as an HD-28. It just lacks the fancy trimmings. At around $1500, it's probably the best bargain of all guitars right now.
I agree 100%. You can't beat the Special 16 for under $2000 (and maybe even under $2500). I own a pair of Special 16's and recently owned two HD-28's, a D18, and a Gibson J45. The Special 16's play & sound the same or better, so I sold all those other guitars. The only reason why these aren't insanely popular is because they're GC/MF custom orders.
Old 05-10-2024, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Brooklyn View Post
Are we saying a D18 is a slam dunk over a J45?
The aside from personal preferences makes it clear the poster likes the D 18 better.

It's like I'm inclined to state something like you can have a rich and resonate icon or a shrill and too bright soulless Taylor. Usually I bite my tongue, for one man's bright soulless is another's sonic nirvana. So forgive the inevitable bias we have formed for this or that. No puppies were harmed.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-10-2024, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

I could recommend a few, but honestly, I think you need to look for a Yamaha FG5. It fits your requirements exactly.
Old 05-11-2024, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Brooklyn View Post
Are we saying a D18 is a slam dunk over a J45?
Yes. Of course it is. But both is best.
Old 05-12-2024, 10:12 PM

For half that you could get a Yamaha LJ-16. I bought one a few months ago and really like it, Sounds great both fingerstyle and picked
Old 05-13-2024, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

MAPP pricing for Larrivee D-03s are currently listed at $1883 new, and I see retailers frequently discounting these a bit beyond that - this is for a brand new guitar. This series of guitars, unlike the 40 series, feature Jean Larrivee's unique bracing that is designed for tonal balance - it is great for both fingerpicking and strumming. You can find used examples of this for several hundred dollars cheaper - these are such a steal for a made in the USA guitar that is at least the equal of Martin, Taylor and Gibson.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:33 AM

Default Large body guitar

Play a $400 Yamaha FG-840-12 before you make your decision.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

I would consider the Yamaha FG5, as already mentioned a time or two. I do not own one, but I am strongly considering one, and I have no need at all for another mahogany dread…Yet I’m still considering the FG5.

I can 100% recommend the Alvarez masterworks MD60. All solid wood (Sitka/mahogany), bone nut and saddle, herringbone trim, one piece mahogany neck. A great value for just under $1k. Incredible, really.

J45 > D18, any day.
Old 05-15-2024, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
I would consider the Yamaha FG5...

I can 100% recommend the Alvarez masterworks MD60. All solid wood (Sitka/mahogany), bone nut and saddle, herringbone trim, one piece mahogany neck. A great value for just under $1k. Incredible, really.
The MD60BG is so good I bought two! Both used for $400 from GC. I couldn't tell they were used, not a scratch on them.

I also want a FG5. (And that D16 MF/GC special that people mention)

For $2k you can buy a FG5 and a MD60
Old 05-16-2024, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

If I was looking for a new guitar and had to stay under 2K and did not want RW, I would strongly consider the Yamaha ll series. If I wanted RW I would look at the GC D16 Martin that was mentioned. Not the D16E, different guitars. Not a fan of Chinese built guitars but I would also consider the Guild Chinese built guitar. I do think some of the LL Yamahas are built in China.

There are many more I have no experience with that are good. But If I'm spending 2K I want the very best I can get. I still think I would look hard at the Yamaha LL series.

I don't know the price but Larrivee makes great guitars and may have the best build quality out there.
Old 05-16-2024, 08:27 AM

If it has to be new, and you don't want rosewood, I'd go with a Martin D15m. If you can buy used, find a D18.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion