The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2024, 03:20 PM

Cool

This is interesting to read as the D'Addario NB's were on my list of the next strings to try. I currently have been playing the Martin Retro's on my Martin D-35 and really like them. However, after reading this thread it sounds like most folks prefer the Retro's over the NB's (?).
Old 05-14-2024, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

I really like them on my guitars (two Ceo7s and a Collings CJ35). I find that they last a long time for me. I will have to say that I like the Woodtone Low Tension strings better. Not just because of the in-between gauge, even though that is a GREAT attribute) but because of the tone. The problem for me is that they are more expensive than their Phosph bronze counterparts and I don't think they last all that much longer. If D Nickel bronze were the same price as the EJ 16s, I would buy them in bulk. Same with the Woodtone strings. But they are not.

I will throw this out there, not to hijack but as an addition....the Martin Flexcore strings (Tommy E set or mediums) sound great on all of my guitars...and for whatever reason, they last longer than the EJ16s for me. I have no idea why. The Nickel Bronze last longer than the EJ16s too, but not enough to pay double the price for three guitars.
Old 05-15-2024, 12:08 AM

Just so happens that I put a set of NBs on a snappy (non-boomy) adi/hog dread a little more than a month ago. Overall, I like them. To my ear, NBs sound bright, clear, & bold, but initially with slightly squishy trebles. Definitely a dramatic progression in tone from the initial shimmer (that I didn’t like so much) to later more direct and eventually thumpy. The characteristic that doesn’t please my ear is what I would describe as a slight…nickel…sound, like the coin, slightly soft and tinny. I prefer Vintage Bronze on this guitar and EJ17s too, but I haven’t tried XS yet. Despite my criticisms, I do like the NBs. Martin Retros sound good too, but I eventually get the urge to replace them with something different.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion