The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2024, 10:20 AM

Default Taylor Urban Ironbark

I already haev enough guitars but you know how it is. Always keeping an eye on what is coming out. And I noticed the Taylor 5 series is now made with a wood I never heard of.

Curious if many here have purchased these and opinions on them? Hopefully this doesn't start a "debate" as did my question on price for a guitar restring.
Old 05-14-2024, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

I donÂ’t own one, but I played one briefly and liked it, though I donÂ’t remember specifics about the sound and how the woods contributed. According to some threads on here, I read that itÂ’s a type of eucalyptus from urban trees. Hopefully others will chime in.
Old 05-14-2024, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Smile Interesting

Here is what Taylor has to say….

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar...urban-ironbark

I haven’t played one, but maybe I can visit the Taylor Campus petting zoo.

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-14-2024, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Haven't played one myself but it's been discussed. Here's a couple threads that may help.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=654887

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=654956

Scott
Old 05-14-2024, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
I donÂ’t own one, but I played one briefly and liked it, though I donÂ’t remember specifics about the sound and how the woods contributed. According to some threads on here, I read that itÂ’s a type of eucalyptus from urban trees. Hopefully others will chime in.

Eucalyptus trees, specifically the subspecies known as Ironbark, grows all over San Diego. The city and the county have to cut down a lot. Taylor gets some of those for their guitars.
Fender FA100
Yamaha LS16M
Old 05-14-2024, 11:28 PM

I played one recently and didn't come out impressed for the price. It's brash
000JR-10E Shawn Mendes
Old 05-15-2024, 05:37 AM

Thanks all. Wondered if this was a new species or what. Maybe I'm too old school but rosewood and mahogany are what I want the body of my guitars made of.

In my other thread I expressed dismay at the price of $40 to restring a guitar (please no rehash I know how to it's a long story). In this one the price of a Taylor guitar with rosewood (not Brazilian) and spruce is - I can't tell. Is the 200 series solid rosewood? If so then no sticker shock. $1300 for a solid RW/spruce Taylor is very reasonable. But I can't tell if the 200 series is laminate or not. If so the 400 series starts at $3000 which feels like a lot. Then again I bought my first guitar, a Guild D50 made in Westerfield (used) for $300.

But hey younger folk. My first house was in 1980 in Silicon Valley and already cost me $320,000 for essentially a townhouse.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

200 series Taylors are laminate back and sides with a solid top, they also have a 1 11/16" nut if that matters to you. In the traditional series Taylors, you have to move up to a 300 or higher for an all solid build with a 1 3/4 nut.

Taylor's American Dream series is now their least expensive all solid guitar. They come in several body sizes and seem to be well reviewed.

Scott
Old 05-15-2024, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybcool View Post
Thanks all. Wondered if this was a new species or what. Maybe I'm too old school but rosewood and mahogany are what I want the body of my guitars made of.
It’s the reality of the market. Quality Rosewood and Mahogany are getting harder and harder to get in quantity/size and instrument quality at a price point to keep companies profitable without giant upmarking. Those woods, including spruce, are in high demand for many non-instrument purposes. Spruce is even used in construction. Rosewood and Mahogany are white hot furniture woods (including veneer on particle board furniture!) Godin has been using domestic woods for years. American manufacturers can learn a lesson from them. Or we could become like Harley Davidson lovers who say that whenever they make anything other than an air-cooled 45 degree V-Twin that leaves oil puddles, Harley is no longer Harley.
Fender FA100
Yamaha LS16M
Old 05-18-2024, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koine2002 View Post
It’s the reality of the market. Quality Rosewood and Mahogany are getting harder and harder to get in quantity/size and instrument quality at a price point to keep companies profitable without giant upmarking. Those woods, including spruce, are in high demand for many non-instrument purposes. Spruce is even used in construction. Rosewood and Mahogany are white hot furniture woods (including veneer on particle board furniture!) Godin has been using domestic woods for years. American manufacturers can learn a lesson from them. Or we could become like Harley Davidson lovers who say that whenever they make anything other than an air-cooled 45 degree V-Twin that leaves oil puddles, Harley is no longer Harley.
Yeah i was looking at solid RW/spruce guitars from lots of makers and shazaam. No longer cheap. Makes me think the guitar I bought in Thailand (which awaits my return only used 2 months a year) was a good deal. Yamaha AC5R was a good decision.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion