The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-03-2021, 07:16 AM

I like them on a Cargo; on an Emerald X7 not so much.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:10 AM

Obviously, tone is totally subjective, but I bought a three-pack and found D’Addario nickel bronze strings too bright for me.

I've got one pack left that will likely end up as part of my estate.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:20 AM

I use them but prefer them on heavier built guitars such as my 1950s Epiphone archtops and flattop.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:31 AM

I initially liked the high-mid bump they seemed to give my guitars, added some bite to single notes, but I ended up finding them too harsh when strummed (even lightly). I can see how they would liven up an all-mahogany guitar. In my opinion they are not for rosewood - it's bright on bright.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

I really like these strings on my adi/mahogany Bourgeois. The only thing that beats them on that guitar are Newtone Masterclass Nickel. I think they really bring out the woody elements of the guitar.
On the other hand, they didn't do much for my only rosewood guitar--just seemed flat and uninteresting.

"It could have been worse"
--Roy Book Binder
Old 04-06-2021, 06:57 AM

I think they are more for Hog guitars than Rosewood to my ears.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:23 AM

I tried a set of the NB1252BT (balanced tension set 12-16-22-30-39-52) replacing the Elixir Nano PB lights that I'd used previously. Contrary to what most of the previous AGF threads led me to believe they aren't "bright" or "zingy" at all. At least not compared to the Elixirs which are themselves on the jangly side.

I tried a set of XS phosphor bronze lights for comparison and they sounded not miles different from the Nickel Bronze. But the NB set have a pleasingly dry and smooth sound with maybe less overtones.

Of course it's possible the difference is more about the tension being at least 10lbs lower (than Elixirs) which makes them VERY easy to play. But I don't think I'd hear them as being "bright" even if the G/D/A strings were normal light gauges.

FWIW, I measured the core wire gauges on the Nickel Bronze and XS sets. The G and D strings on the NB set have unusually small core wires (0.011" and 0.0135", respectively). That probably contributes a lot to being easy on the fingers.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 09-18-2021, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
I think they are more for Hog guitars than Rosewood to my ears.
This was always my observation. Until I put a set on my Merrill Adi/EIR 21. Wow, just incredible sounding. But I agree with Matt, they don't last overly long IMO and my hands are dry and I don't sweat corrosively. I'm on about day 10 and they still sound pretty good (not as good as days 1-7) but I can tell that they'll probably be completely dead less than a week from now. Dead relative to where they were, probably exactly where you like them if you like regular Monels. They sound so good for the first week or so it may be worth it if I need to play it out somewhere and want it to sound its best.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I liked the 12-string set on my maple Guild F-412 and recommended them - an AGFer with another maple 12-string tried them and hated them.

Oh well.
I liked them on a Cargo - maybe they shine on carbon guitars? They held up well and, to me, sounded great. Shifting now, though, to silk/steel on Cargo and X7.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:42 AM

After about 48 hours with a set of D'Addario XS phosphor bronze strings on in place of the Nickel Bronze, I made a couple quickie recordings of myself playing short snippets. On the recordings there I could certainly tell the two sets of strings apart but it was basically down to a little more sustain on the overtones with the PB set.

If I had to choose I like the Nickel Bronze sound better but it's such a minor difference (for my ham-handed playing) that I wouldn't really have a strong preference. That said, the lower tension on the NB set just feels wonderful so I took the Light gauge XS off yesterday and put the Light-Balanced Tension NB set back on there.

It's a win-win, I like the tone I get and I play better and easier with them.

One other thing about the Nickel Bronze. This is twice I've put a set on there and both time the first couple hours they sound pretty harsh. A lot of strings need a day or two to settle in and sound their best. But with the NB strings it's a pretty quick process. I put them on at 2pm and played a while. Checked back in on them briefly around dinner time and still pretty harsh. Tried them again at 8pm and they had settled in nicely. Didn't have time to play much this morning but they are full-on smooth and warm sounding. Can't complain about break-in if it only lasts half a day and a couple hours of playing time.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 09-20-2021, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

I had used them a few years ago on various guitars. I had used a set of 11-52 on my Seagull Folk and commented on how good they sounded. On my other guitars I played at the time they were uneventful at various gauges, which could be a good thing.

If I find a string good I won't comment on them in my string log, only if they are bad or if I really liked them for whatever reason.

Bugles of the King's Musketeers:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 09-20-2021, 08:41 AM

I've got a set of light D'Addario NB's on my Waterloo WL-X. These replaced a set of Phosphor Bronze lights. To me, the tone is more pleasing on the NB's than the PB's - which I also liked. Just a little less bright and more balanced to my ear.
Fender EJ Strat
Old 05-14-2024, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts67 View Post
To my ears, they definitely lack overtones, which can be a good or bad thing. They start out bright and jangly, like any new string. By about day 3, they sound fantastic...then after day 7 or so, they seem to flip a switch and become way too mellow and thuddy, with an accompanied lack of volume.
I really like them to record arpeggiated open chords or to get a strum that has that old, vintage vibe.

They will help tame a huge sounding Taylor into that Gibson tone that can sound anemic alone, but GREAT in a mix. When playing alone, I prefer my Martin strings that have a much fuller tone with more sustain.
Old 05-14-2024, 02:51 PM

I'm experiencing the same thing where they sound cool for a while and then go much too dead quite suddenly, in my case 3 weeks on my Gibson G45 Standard. Detuning a few times while I fitted a new saddle and tweaked a new pickup may have contributed, but they're just a little too dark and thumpy now, and I get at least 6 weeks out of any other strings. I really liked them at first too. I had the same thing when I tried them on my Eastman - that time I attributed it to a weekend camping, but now I'm wondering if it's just what they do.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 05-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

I use them on my archtops, and on my mandolin.

They don't corrode, and so can last for ages, but, I think, just get a little quieter after a few months.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion