The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-08-2024, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Reconfigured acoustic panel set up

I have five of the ATS 4'x2'x4" panels and two of their 2'x3'x4" panels. I had them set up in a less than perfect "U" shape with the two 3' panels behind me standing on the floor. Now I changed the shape of the 4' panels to an imperfect "V" shape with the two 3' panels behind me, but raised up about 10" off of the floor.

Here are a couple of pics. I'm going to test it out in the near future.

I don't expect a big change (probably more like none), but I have wall coverage now on my right instead of my left and I'm angled so that whatever sound goes over the top of the panels doesn't reflect straight back to me. I have no clue what I'm doing, but I figure the more panels between me and the rest of the room the better off I am.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front.jpg (18.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Back.jpg (22.4 KB, 46 views)

Bugles of the King's Musketeers:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 05-08-2024, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

I'm guessing that where you position that space in the room is probably the thing having the largest effect now.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-09-2024, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Again, physics. The farther the audio waves (energy) have to travel, or the more they're damped, the less you'll hear them in the recording. I'd try to be as far from any wall, and the one behind you I'd want more damping, so maybe the taller panels there (in a V). Sound that gets past the panels in front of you is going to travel to other surfaces and bounce back, i.e., go a *long* way before it finds its way back to the mic(s) polar pattern. I really don't think that's an issue, though that's where I'd look at anything that improves diffusion on the far(ther) walls.

And you might consider taking one of those 4' panels and putting overhead. Just do the "bank-shot" geometry from your guitar to the mic for placement of that (or any) panels.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD