The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2024, 02:52 PM

Default Wechter Silver Creek information

Just wondering if anyone has any information on this Silver Creek guitar. I bought it in the early 2000s off eBay and always assumed it was made by Abe Wechter.

It is a wonderful guitar and I have always heard it was a lawsuit Taylor 510 knock off guitar. Shortly after I purchased it, Musicians Friend began selling a Silver Creek with a Martin guitar headstock.

Old 05-06-2024, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Smile MF Silver Creek

Way back when, I bought a bunch of gear from MF. They used to send a warehouse catalog in every order with stuff they were blowing out

I got a SC OM and liked it OK, especially at the price.

So when they went down to $250 shipped I bought five and gave them to friends and relatives for Christmas. It was a big splurge for me, but big fun, too.

A couple of my dearest friends refuse to spend money on music gear. (Don’t get me started!) their discretionary funds go to motor sports…

Two still play the SCs today and last I heard my nephew still has his too.

Mine all looked like Martins except for the unfortunate inlay on the headstocks.

They didn’t sound like Martin’s, but they didn’t look bad, or sound bad either.

I’ve never seen a silver creek that looked like yours though.

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-07-2024, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
So when they went down to $250 shipped I bought five and gave them to friends and relatives for Christmas. It was a big splurge for me, but big fun, too.
That is SO cool! The Musicians Friends SC sounded good and appeared to be well built. I have a few friends who purchased them as well.

Quote:
They didn’t sound like Martin’s, but they didn’t look bad, or sound bad either.
I agree. My guitar was almost white when I bought it and it has aged to a nice orange color. It plays well, but it is not my Taylors or 1971 D-18 Martin.

Quote:
I’ve never seen a silver creek that looked like yours though.
No one else has either AND I have never been able to find another one with the same headstock. There is no label or markings that I can find inside and this appears to be a mystery.

The electronics work well, action is great, it stays in tune and I leave it on a stand all the time. I wish I had more info.

Thank you for your reply!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion