The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2024, 02:14 PM

Default Bridge Doctor on Martin Grand J16E 12 String

I am working with my luthier to see if he can install a bridge doctor on a Martin grand J 16E 12 string. Does anyone know if I have a chance of having it installed? Has anyone had it done?
He says it might be close, as it's not doable as "the possible issue is the radius on the edge of the back of the bridge." He said he needed some real estate behind the bridge pins.
I worry because once I tried to have him install a bridge doctor on a Gretsch 12 string falcon rancher and he said it couldn't be done due to the weird configuration of the bridge shape.
Thanks in advance for the info!!!
Old 01-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despurvoa3 View Post
I am working with my luthier to see if he can install a bridge doctor on a Martin grand J 16E 12 string. Does anyone know if I have a chance of having it installed? Has anyone had it done?
He says it might be close, as it's not doable as "the possible issue is the radius on the edge of the back of the bridge." He said he needed some real estate behind the bridge pins.
I worry because once I tried to have him install a bridge doctor on a Gretsch 12 string falcon rancher and he said it couldn't be done due to the weird configuration of the bridge shape.
Thanks in advance for the info!!!
I bought a guitar that had one fitted. It murdered the sound as the top cannot vibrate properly. Removed it on day 1 or 2, what a difference. I hate them.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 01-22-2024, 08:11 PM

Thank you for the insight. I wanted to prevent my 12-string from bellying any further and I thought this was a good option. Good to know!
Old 01-22-2024, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the insight. I wanted to prevent my 12-string from bellying any further and I thought this was a good option. Good to know!
Light gauge strings 10-47.

Tune it down and use a capo. (Lessens string tension)

I can't imagine a *luthier* wanting to install a Bridge Doctor?
Old 01-22-2024, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I bought a Breedlove 12 string BECAUSE they used that bridge stabilizer and a lot of the older 12's I played have that issue with the belly.
It was one of two guitars I ever bought without playing first and I was less than impressed....sounds really ''''compressed"? Inhibited?
I have it on our local craigslist for cheap because I never fell in love with it....and have gotten few inquiries...I have heard breedlove 6 strings that have that 'truss' that sound pretty good, but I guess it doesn't work with 12 strings?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion