The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2024, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Default Official Release of Martin’s SC18e and SC28E

Y’all probably also got the email:

https://www.martinguitar.com/body-sc...c_id=100872096

Should see what the purists think of the iconic makeup of the 18 and 28 and *******izing them with bolt on necks and pickup systems. They’ll actually probably be really nice.
Old 01-22-2024, 07:43 AM

Seems like that body shape would be awkward on the leg.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

I'm sure someone will like it...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-22-2024, 09:14 AM

When/if they so choose, Martin has arguably done one - and only one - thing better than anyone else in the world: making well-crafted, traditionally-designed/appointed flattop guitars...

Virtually every attempt to step outside those parameters - archtops (on two different occasions), hollowbody electrics, solidbody electrics, amplifiers, unusual materials, offbeat cosmetics, et al. - has been a failure...

FWIW I've owned two Rainsong jumbos for the last 20 years, and I've been eyeballing a Fibertone NC-17 carbon-fiber archtop for a while now, so I'm not exactly a strict wood-body/dovetail-neck purist when it comes to acoustic guitars...

By the same token, if you're fortunate enough to be able to do one thing in life better than anyone else it's common sense to go with what you know: simply put, I wouldn't trust Avanti's Pizzeria (my local go-to for Sicilian pie) with an order of ma po tofu when I've got Ho Wok Restaurant a ten-minute drive away, and vice versa...

Martin's website currently lists 271 models discontinued over the last five years, give or take - I wouldn't venture to guess how many since the mid-80's - and I strongly suspect the SC lineup will be joining them in the not-too-distant future...

Then again, one of these might be a nice wall-hanger in my music-room-cum-home-office next to the E-18, ALternative X bass, and DX-420...
Old 01-22-2024, 10:23 AM

their better at marketing their product.
Old 01-22-2024, 10:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Spoon & I discussed these on today's episode of our podcast & we're hoping to play the new models at the end of the week. These standard series SCs were just a matter of time.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-22-2024, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Spoon & I discussed these on today's episode of our podcast & we're hoping to play the new models at the end of the week. These standard series SCs were just a matter of time.
Yeah, they seemed inevitable. I will be curious what you all think. The question I ultimately have is this:

Are these SC's in Standard series clothing? In other words, will the wood complement retain any of the signature character of the 18 and 28 or is this purely 18 and 28 lipstick on a pig?
Old 01-22-2024, 11:53 AM

I typically play more traditional Martins, but I did try a few SC-13e guitars and I bought a Special Burst that seemed exceptional to me. The body is very comfortable, the neck is very playable and the tone has everything that I was looking for, (balanced and rich).

I am a little disappointed that the SC-28e has D-28 appointments rather than HD.

I don’t intend to buy one, but like the SC-13e, I look forward to test driving a few while keeping an open mind. I like having variety and despite having three Custom Shop Martins, a Modern Deluxe 000-18 and a Reimagined 000-28, I felt like playing my SC-13e Special Burst this morning and I enjoyed it just as I do the others.
Old 01-22-2024, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
I look forward to hearing both players. Spoon and Maury are both very consistent players which makes it easier to evaluate the guitar against others that they have reviewed.

Maury, do you have any on order? Any estimation regarding availability? Thanks
Old 01-22-2024, 12:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btlcat View Post
I look forward to hearing both players. Spoon and Maury are both very consistent players which makes it easier to evaluate the guitar against others that they have reviewed.

Maury, do you have any on order? Any estimation regarding availability? Thanks
Thanks. Sorry no, we're trying to sell Maury's Music, so I'll be evaluating these new models for our Martins & More podcast but not as a dealer.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-22-2024, 01:19 PM

Yep, saw the email first thing this morning, and came here to look for a thread when I had time .. kinda surprised there's so few comments, I was going to bring popcorn :-).

Although I don't have a place for the original SC guitar, it was pretty obvious how it was a smart line extension for CFM, and if I were playing lots of venues where plugged in was a practical requirement, it would be a useful choice. The release of the -18,28 versions makes perfect sense, however I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around a price point equal to their new inception model??

For all of these guitars, adding LR Baggs anthem, or what I guess is an equivalent price point Fishman represents about $400 in value to buy and install, still, we're at a guitar that is listing for $200 higher than an OM-28/HD-28. while I can imagine the inception could be worth that to some people.. these new SC models? Well that's one more guitar I now want to get out and play / hear (-18 Martins don't do it for me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post

Martin's website currently lists 271 models discontinued over the last five years, give or take - I wouldn't venture to guess how many since the mid-80's - and I strongly suspect the SC lineup will be joining them in the not-too-distant future...
If you drill into those discontinued models, there are 50 in the 15 series, where CFM does development, 40 in the X series. In standard series, 28 are offered today, 14 discontinued.

I don't think this is strong evidence for your conjecture.

A common point in these 3 new guitars is the kovar strings, I have a set, first tried on my Santa Cruz OM (too bright, even for me), and now they're happily mounted on my om-28, breathing new life into a guitar I had been thinking of moving along pretty soon.

I think these strings are part of a smart marketing move on Martin's part, and saying after 190 years of success that they don't understand their markets? ..
Old 01-22-2024, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie-f View Post
Yep, saw the email first thing this morning, and came here to look for a thread when I had time .. kinda surprised there's so few comments, I was going to bring popcorn :-).

Although I don't have a place for the original SC guitar, it was pretty obvious how it was a smart line extension for CFM, and if I were playing lots of venues where plugged in was a practical requirement, it would be a useful choice. The release of the -18,28 versions makes perfect sense, however I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around a price point equal to their new inception model??

For all of these guitars, adding LR Baggs anthem, or what I guess is an equivalent price point Fishman represents about $400 in value to buy and install, still, we're at a guitar that is listing for $200 higher than an OM-28/HD-28. while I can imagine the inception could be worth that to some people.. these new SC models? Well that's one more guitar I now want to get out and play / hear (-18 Martins don't do it for me).
I recently bought an HD-28 and had a K&K mini installed. Would I have bought this instead? Probably not, but it would have depended on how it felt and sounded when I played it.
Old 01-22-2024, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood View Post
Seems like that body shape would be awkward on the leg.
It does look uncomfortable, but it's actually a very comfortable guitar when sitting, though I mostly use it standing. I have the Road Series SC10e sapele and it's an easy playing guitar all around.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion