The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2024, 07:00 PM

Default Yamaha yet again...

And the same guitar as well. Sorry, but I've got to give another shout out to my Yamaha LL6m. I started a thread last summer about playing a 100 degreeF gig with friends with this guitar and how it held tune like a bulldog though it was sweat drenched.

This morning I played the 8 oclock service at church, practice at 7 a.m. sharp, and about a 20 minute ride for me. When I left the house at 6:30 it was 6 degreesF. Maybe not a big deal up north, but that is COLD down south here. The guitar left the house at room temperature in it's rigid soft case, but when I drove to church and got inside it was cold to the touch. Didn't need tuning though. Went through practice, paused before service, then went up to play, the guitar was room temperature and still in tune. The heat of the folks was enough to keep the air system off for a good while without actually heating the room, so when I went up for the last song it was quite cool to the touch . Outside temperature now 24 degreesF, I took it home, decased it, went to tune it before I hung it back on the wall...it still needed no tuning whatsoever.

I played bluegrass for 15 years and have seen a whole lot of acoustic guitars in a whole lot of environments, but I have never seen anything like this. I guess it's the laminated back & sides and 5 piece neck, but whatever it is, I have to say that if you are looking for a decent sounding, pluggable acoustic you can carry anywhere you please with no thought of the environment, this needs to be on your radar.
Old 01-21-2024, 10:38 PM

I just got a Yamaha LL-16D.
Like the LL-6M, this guitar has a poly finish, which is a lot more weather safe than Nitro Lacquer.

I play at assisted living homes and my guitar goes from standard tuning all the way up to capoed at the fifth fret and in between for different songs.

I had my Tech do all that he could to make the intonation as good as possible for all of these positions.
He nailed it. New nut and saddle and a few frets lowered a bit.

I have to slightly lower the B string when capoed between 3 and 5.
Other than that, the guitar stays in tune all the time.

Love my Yamaha.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion