The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-17-2023, 10:13 AM

Default Split Angle 'X' Brace?

I build a unique single waisted guitar with an offset sound hole and if I X brace it (I've V braced them as well) the X brace angle, instead of the traditional +-90 degrees it requires I reduce that angle to +- 70 degrees to leave room for the offset sound hole in the upper bout area.

My question is has anyone ever done, or is it possible/advisable, to split the X brace angle in to two sections with the lower angle at +- 90 degrees and the upper angle at +- 70 degrees. There would be no lap joint as in a trad. X brace so it would require some thought/design to stabilize the joint where the angles change and was wondering if anyone has attempted such a thing?

Thank You
Old 10-17-2023, 11:30 AM

I'm no expert but I believe the X brace location in relation to the bridge is more important than it's relation to the soundhole. When Martin wanted to strengthen their guitars after the advent of steel string popularity, they moved the X closer to the bridge. The bridge is the point of major stress on the sounboard to my mind, the X is likely the stiffest point on the top.

Archtop guitars often reduce the X angle with non-centred sound holes so I suppose that part is strong enough.

It would certainly be possible to "break" the X angle in two but I can't see it being as strong without adding material to it.
Old 10-17-2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
It would certainly be possible to "break" the X angle in two but I can't see it being as strong without adding material to it.
Yes I was thinking there would need to be some material added to it but not quite sure how one would go about it. I forgot to mention that the reason to split the X brace angle is to open up the lower bout with a more obtuse angle while making room for the offset sound hole location with a more acute angle.
Old 10-17-2023, 12:41 PM

Are you considering something like Trevor Gore's SS Falcate bracing type ?
Old 10-17-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaynard View Post
Are you considering something like Trevor Gore's SS Falcate bracing type ?
Nothing that complex. Hope this pic comes through. Perhaps it can be seen that if the angle of the X brace increases it begins to cramp the area above the X and the sound hole location. It also shows how far from the bridge the X brace is and I'd like to change that as well.

Dam I forget what a PIA it is posting pics here. Maybe it can enlarged for viewing.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...ff262147_m.jpg

Last edited by LHawes; 10-17-2023 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2023, 06:05 PM

Looks pretty sturdy. Maybe another finger brace on the bass side?
Old 10-18-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
Looks pretty sturdy. Maybe another finger brace on the bass side?
Yes I think it's pretty sturdy and I have real problem not trying new things but I'd like to widen the angle below the X brace joint to closer to 90 to widen that area and bring the X closer to the bridge while keeping the narrower angle above the X to make room for the sound hole. Looks like some experimentation is in order.
Old 10-18-2023, 08:58 AM

What are you trying to accomplish with this design? It sounds like you wanted a sound hole on the side for some reason and are trying to accommodate that. I probably would have suggested that the left X-Brace extend from under the sound hole down to the left edge of the bass side bridge wing to the lower bout. That would allow you to open it up a bit. As I see this design I think it will be quite stiff and lack bass but maybe that is what you are going for.

It will be interesting to see how it comes out.
Old 10-18-2023, 10:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Split Angle 'X' Brace?

I have a design that incorporates an offset and rotated X brace which I’ve used when building a guitar with soundhole(s) in the upper bout. See right hand guitar in attached photo. Perhaps it’d work for you.

IMG_3293.jpg
Old 10-18-2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bounsall View Post
I have a design that incorporates an offset and rotated X brace which I’ve used when building a guitar with soundhole(s) in the upper bout. See right hand guitar in attached photo. Perhaps it’d work for you.

Attachment 99087
LOVE IT! Thanks so much Andy!
Old 10-18-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
What are you trying to accomplish with this design? It sounds like you wanted a sound hole on the side for some reason and are trying to accommodate that. I probably would have suggested that the left X-Brace extend from under the sound hole down to the left edge of the bass side bridge wing to the lower bout. That would allow you to open it up a bit. As I see this design I think it will be quite stiff and lack bass but maybe that is what you are going for.

It will be interesting to see how it comes out.
Thanks for the suggestion. The guitars are quite small and have a surprisingly good bass response just looking for options and ideas.

Last edited by LHawes; 10-18-2023 at 12:10 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair