The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-18-2022, 04:59 PM

Default NGD X3

No, not in the same day. But in the span of maybe 4 weeks.

1999 ESP LTD F-200. This thing plays as good as it looks. And even those passive EMG’S sound great.

2000 Ibanez AX 7221. This was a bit of a project. No pickups or strings and pots were not wired. Had a set of Ibanez Quantum 7’s laying around and installed them, and wired everything. This is basically a 7 string SG with neck dive and all. Nice chunky neck.

And this past Saturday I traded my LP studio for a guitar I always wanted. That LP was my number one, that’s how bad I wanted this. It’s a PRS SE Mark Holcomb signature with Nazgul/Sentient pickups instead of the Alpha/Omega it comes with. Why anyone would buy this guitar and remove the signature pickups is beyond me. But the good news is that these pickups really sing. They’re crazy versatile with nice cleans and handle gain with the best of them. I might get the alpha and omega just to restore the guitar to its full signature status, but these are really good pickups that can do a whole lot more than just metal. It also has gotoh delta tuning keys which are way better than the factory offering.

Ok here she is.

Oh and I still have my SC245 for Les Paul duties. [emoji4]
Old 04-20-2022, 09:47 AM

Juan, you've had a busy month... congrats on the guitars!

I'm saddened by the trade of your Les Paul Studio but it sounds like you got one you wanted more in return. The SC245 looks sweet... I want one!

How are the Nazgul/Sentient pickups? Are they primarily used for metal?
Old 04-20-2022, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Holy Cow!

What a great collection of great looking electric guitars! That PRS SE Mark Holcomb, in particular, looks wonderful!

Good for you and congratulations! Have fun!!!

- Glenn
Old 04-20-2022, 01:47 PM

Default NGD X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Holy Cow!

What a great collection of great looking electric guitars! That PRS SE Mark Holcomb, in particular, looks wonderful!

Good for you and congratulations! Have fun!!!

- Glenn

Thank you! Yeah it plays amazing, when I was trying it out, I couldn’t put it down. That’s when I knew I had to have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Juan, you've had a busy month... congrats on the guitars!

I'm saddened by the trade of your Les Paul Studio but it sounds like you got one you wanted more in return. The SC245 looks sweet... I want one!

How are the Nazgul/Sentient pickups? Are they primarily used for metal?

Yeah it was a hard decision for sure. The Les Paul as much as I like it, was far from perfect. It had some sprouting frets, and sharp edges, and it overall felt like an inferior instrument even though it was only a year older than the PRS. I understand that’s exactly what you buy when you settle for a studio, but part of getting a USA made instrument is because of the prestige and better attention to detail and fit and finish. My next Les Paul will be a Standard for sure.

The Nazgul is brighter than I expected, which makes it shine at lower tunings because it has very defined tone separation. The cleans are quite sparkly, especially in standard tuning, it might sound a bit harsh. I did have to dial down the gain on my Marshall classic gain channel because it was breaking up. But it is a versatile pickup that will do more than just metal. Don’t know how it would sound split because oddly enough, the previous owner changed the tone pot to a regular one (factory should be push-pull tone). Put it on the ultra gain channel, and this pickup is in its element, especially in D standard or lower.

The Sentient is the one that surprised me the most. Very PAF sounding, especially if you roll off the tone just a bit. Very silky smooth and warm for leads, or downright nasty if I chug with the muff.

The Studio was a straight trade, I think it was a fair trade.

Last edited by 1neeto; 04-20-2022 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-21-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Thank you! Yeah it plays amazing, when I was trying it out, I couldn’t put it down. That’s when I knew I had to have it.

Yeah it was a hard decision for sure. The Les Paul as much as I like it, was far from perfect. It had some sprouting frets, and sharp edges, and it overall felt like an inferior instrument even though it was only a year older than the PRS. I understand that’s exactly what you buy when you settle for a studio, but part of getting a USA made instrument is because of the prestige and better attention to detail and fit and finish. My next Les Paul will be a Standard for sure.

The Nazgul is brighter than I expected, which makes it shine at lower tunings because it has very defined tone separation. The cleans are quite sparkly, especially in standard tuning, it might sound a bit harsh. I did have to dial down the gain on my Marshall classic gain channel because it was breaking up. But it is a versatile pickup that will do more than just metal. Don’t know how it would sound split because oddly enough, the previous owner changed the tone pot to a regular one (factory should be push-pull tone). Put it on the ultra gain channel, and this pickup is in its element, especially in D standard or lower.

The Sentient is the one that surprised me the most. Very PAF sounding, especially if you roll off the tone just a bit. Very silky smooth and warm for leads, or downright nasty if I chug with the muff.

The Studio was a straight trade, I think it was a fair trade.
The Les Paul Studio should not have sharp fret ends nor should it feel inferior to a Standard in your hands. I have a couple of Standards and a few Studios and they all feel great in my hands. Some have different neck profiles and pickups but none of my studios feel inferior. They don't look as nice though (I like the binding on a Standard).

It's very possible your Studio was a dud... it happens for all Gibsons (and other manufacturers).
Old 04-21-2022, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
The Les Paul Studio should not have sharp fret ends nor should it feel inferior to a Standard in your hands. I have a couple of Standards and a few Studios and they all feel great in my hands. Some have different neck profiles and pickups but none of my studios feel inferior. They don't look as nice though (I like the binding on a Standard).

It's very possible your Studio was a dud... it happens for all Gibsons (and other manufacturers).

Yeah it’s possible. I just don’t expect that on a USA made instrument. Still she was joy to play and sounded amazing. This Holcomb is quite the player too. Can’t put it down.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars