The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-01-2022, 08:47 PM

Default Oasis Humidifiers

For years I have used a variety of Oasis Humidifiers in my guitars, mandolins etc. For the most part, they have been good, but I have always wondered if anyone has the same issue as me. My issue is that when I first purchase them, for the first year or two, they work perfectly. Add water, gel expands and it's good to go. However, whenever I put in new humigel crystals and follow the instructions, they never seem to absorb the water in the same way. I can add water and some of the humigels will expand, but there's always quite a bit of water splashing around inside.

I seem to remember reading that it's recommended to take the crystals out in the summer months and add in new humigels once the winter months come. I have been doing that, but the humidifiers just don't act the same way as they did when I first purchased them. Just thought I would ask!
Old 03-01-2022, 10:20 PM

The only thing I can think of is you are not adding enough new crystals. If memory serves my right it is 4 scoops of the little spoon type thing they supply. I have followed the instructions for refilling and haven’t had a problem.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

I have used the Oasis for most of the last decade, and also have never had a problem after the spring clean out, and then using new crystals the next winter. I have not experienced what you're describing.
Old 03-02-2022, 01:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
I have followed the instructions for refilling and haven’t had a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
I have used the Oasis for most of the last decade, and also have never had a problem after the spring clean out, and then using new crystals the next winter. I have not experienced what you're describing.
My experience too - I wash the old stuff out in the spring, leave the tubes out with the lids off for a day or two to dry, then store them (with the lids off) in an air-tight tin for the summer/autumn. When I need to use them again, I replenish the crystals according to the instructions they come with, fill with distilled water, check for leaks, and everything is hunky-dory. Never had a problem.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-02-2022, 05:12 AM
Charter Member

Same issues here. I also noted little drops of water seeping through, especially at creases that form, despite keeping them hydrated. My Huss&Dalton even got a water spot on the label (no biggie) but it prompted me to switch to another popular system here.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 03-02-2022, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
My experience too - I wash the old stuff out in the spring, leave the tubes out with the lids off for a day or two to dry, then store them (with the lids off) in an air-tight tin for the summer/autumn. When I need to use them again, I replenish the crystals according to the instructions they come with, fill with distilled water, check for leaks, and everything is hunky-dory. Never had a problem.
yep same here. same tubes for about 5 or 6 years now.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-02-2022, 07:34 AM

Thanks everyone. Yes, it is strange. I clean it out, add the proper amount of crystals and I still have a lot of excess water. I have tried adding more crystals, which goes against the instructions, but then I have the opposite problem where I hardly have to add any water before the crystals are expanded. I guess it's a bit of a balancing act.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion