The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-06-2021, 03:12 PM

Default Crack near the nut - something to worry about?

https://ibb.co/QbzSsVh
https://ibb.co/Nm6N8DX
https://ibb.co/Hnd9xzf

It's classical Applause by Ovation guitar without a truss rod, and as you can see there's a crack on the neck near the nut. It's not deep, and you can barely feel it under the fingers, but it runs all the way to where the nut starts.

I really like how this guitar sounds amplified, and it's my main "gig" guitar, and the intonation is perfect. It does lose bit of tuning after a while, but nothing more nothing less than other guitars I've played in this price range. Should I do something about it, or just leave it be?
Old 09-06-2021, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Looks to me like it's just in the finish.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 09-06-2021, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Just duck when the headstock breaks off and comes flying at your face.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:39 PM

I think it’s it’s just in the finish, as well, but take the guitar to a professional repair tech to have him or her look at it just to be certain.

whm
Old 09-06-2021, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

I had a guitar with a damaged/cracked neck and it looked just like that, on both sides though. Get a pro to look at it.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

if the finish cracked, the crack propagated from the sharp corner, which is a sharp stress concentration spot. It is possible the wood moved to cause that finish crack - meaning: the crack is visible in the finish but is possibly also in the underlying wood

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 09-06-2021, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default Crack near the nut - something to worry about?

I had a similar issue with a guitar of mine except the crack was shorter and on both sides of the neck. Probable cause on mine was a case of whiplash from gate checking the cased guitar at the airport but the baggage handlers mistakenly put it through the tumbler. I took it to a luthier who repaired it by working glue into the cracks and clamping it. That was probably 5 or 6 years ago and I have had no problems. You might want to loosen the strings so the tension isn’t pulling on that weakened area until you can get it repaired. That is what the luthier instructed me to do. I highly recommend consulting a luthier or reputable guitar repair person as soon as possible.
Best,
Jayne
Old 09-06-2021, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

De-tune and have a luthier check it out. That looks like a little problem that could turn into a big one.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 09-06-2021, 08:03 PM

When pieces of the neck are missing, I think we're looking at a severely damaged neck. If this was mine, I'd take the tension off the strings and get the guitar to a repair station/luthier. Yesterday.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
https://ibb.co/QbzSsVh
https://ibb.co/Nm6N8DX
https://ibb.co/Hnd9xzf

It's classical Applause by Ovation guitar without a truss rod, and as you can see there's a crack on the neck near the nut. It's not deep, and you can barely feel it under the fingers, but it runs all the way to where the nut starts.

I really like how this guitar sounds amplified, and it's my main "gig" guitar, and the intonation is perfect. It does lose bit of tuning after a while, but nothing more nothing less than other guitars I've played in this price range. Should I do something about it, or just leave it be?
That guitar took a shot on the front of the headstock. That crack is absolutely in the wood as well.

That said, consider this: The strings are basically trying to pull the crack closed via their tension/pressure on the nut, etc.

If you take the strings off and VERY CAREFULLY flex the headstock BACKWARDS, you'll see the crack open. A good tech can inject glue into the crack to make it more secure/stable.

Regards,
Howard Emerson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion