The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2019, 10:04 PM

Smile Humidity control packs- Melbourne Australia

Hey guys,

I'm someone who live in Melbourne, Australia and here's hoping someone local would see this post and respond.

I bought a Martin Om-28 last week and wonder If I should place a humidity control pack inside the guitar case when the guitar is not played? Id normally play every other day or so for 2 hours tops.

I absolutely love this guitar and want to give it the best protection it can possibly take. I'm a little confused because couple of guys who know what they are doing told me that as long as the guitar is kept in the case, I shouldn't be using humidity packs. Is that correct?

In case If its advisable to use one is this any good?
https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-Humi.../dp/B000OMG0KI

That seems to be a very popular product that's being sold in guitar shops around melbourne. Really appreciate your input guys. AS you know this guitar cost me my left lung so the last thing I want is to see problems on the guitar.

Thanks

/Dee
Old 11-19-2019, 10:16 PM

This should answer your question,

What is the average humidity in Melbourne?
Relative Humidity in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. The average annual relative humidity is 55.8% and average monthly relative humidity ranges from 48% in January to 67% in June.

I think our American friends would love humidity figures like that!

But by all means buy and use a humidification system like this for peace of mind ... it can't hurt.

I know how much we pay for USA made guitars!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 11-19-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:29 PM

Welcome Dee-

We would love humidity numbers like Bruce is citing for Melbourne! Our humidity levels are usually pretty good here in Southern California, but it's been a hot, very dry fall. Tonight we're finally getting rain!!! And I've been using the humidipaks and they keep the humidity in the cases around 45%.

For a lightly built wood instrument, you want to keep your humidity levels relatively stable. Around 45%-55% is ideal, but some people go a bit lower than that and are fine. Bruce's numbers indicate that your humidity levels should keep your guitar comfortable without needing to invest in humidipaks to help take moisture out or put moisture into the case. But they will help keep the average humidity in the case about perfect.

My family visited Melbourne 12 years ago at this time of year- in fact we left CA on November 21st. We loved the area and the huge amount of daylight you had in November! Now I can put ideal humidity levels on the list of reasons why Melbourne is wonderful! Enjoy your new guitar!!

beth

Last edited by mountainguitar; 11-19-2019 at 10:30 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-20-2019, 01:56 AM
Charter Member

Dee,

Congrats on the OM-28! I have had acoustic guitars in Melbourne for many years, none with humidity packs or any other humidity control and I have never had any problems.

Only time I would consider humidity is if I left them out of their cases in winter when the heater is on. But I actually keep them in their cases (mainly to avoid accidental damage).

I agree with Bruce in saying there is nothing wrong in being careful. One thought is that you can probably buy a cheap hygrometer at Bunnings; maybe that will help you get a feel for the humidity in your guitar room.

Col
Old 11-20-2019, 02:26 AM

Hi Dee,
I'm no expert... so I asked the guys at a reputable acoustic guitar shop about humidity control and they said that generally we don't need it here in Melbourne. Being cautious I usually keep the guitars in their cases when not in use and I did buy a cheap hygrometer and have been keeping an eye on it.
The humidity has always been within range except when the evaporative cooling goes on and it can get up above 70%. I don't leave the guitars out in that part of the house for long periods anyway.
I guess it can't hurt to be cautious and monitor your particular circumstances.
Good luck.

Buzzit.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:14 PM

Smile

Thanks so much guys. Really appreciate all your advises. I’d just make sure that I’ll keep the guitar inside the case when it’s not played.

Thanks once again good people.

/Dee
Old 11-20-2019, 03:16 PM

I use the boveda packs here in Canada and they are a godsend.

With consistently high humidity north of 55% like being described I'm not sure these packs are what you are looking for...at least based on what I'm hearing about their performance for drawing humidity out of the air...which apparently is quite poor...adding humidity, they're fine...pulling? Not so much based on what I'm reading...Sounds like you need a dehumidifier year round...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-20-2019, 06:17 PM

Mine lives in it's case, and there has never been an issue.
Shameless plug for Aaron Fenech Guitars who helped me with building this guitar!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 11-21-2019, 03:35 AM

It doesn’t matter where you live but it is good to give your guitar/s a stable environment to live in. Guitar manufacturers build acoustics in controlled environments, Taylor use 47%, so to use a Humidipak system that keeps the guitar and case at 45-50% is doing a lot to prevent humidity related problems....swelling, shrinking constantly every day. You can play 2 hours daily in humid or dry air but the guitar lives in 47% for 22 hours a day!

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
humidipack, martin om-28