The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-13-2000, 09:39 PM

Thumbs up I think I'm coming down with 'TAS'

Hello Forum,
Being a complete novice with a lingering itch to learn the guitar that had remained with me for at least the last couple years, I armed myself with a moderate budget and headed down to my local music store.
I stated my price range (well below that of a Taylor) and had the salesman play anything and everything within it. I ended up leaving disappointed.
I returned the next week hoping something I might have missed would catch both my eye and ear. The last brand to be heard was Taylor. He pulled down both a 310ce and a 410ce and by the time he'd finished strumming the first chords I was in love; no salespitch was needed; Taylor's beautiful tone and build quality spoke to me in the way I'd hoped a guitar would and my budget doubled on the spot.
Alas, being a lefty there were none in stock and I had to place an order which is due to arrive in Feb/2001. For my suffering (lol) I upgraded my order to the 410ce over the 310ce. Both had sounded wonderful but there was just something about it....can't wait til February!

Derek
Old 12-13-2000, 10:39 PM

Derek,

Don't fret

I'm a lefty as well.

My wait is the same as yours: 2/2001

My 512c will have the N/T neck. I had my delivery pushed back a month in order to get it. Ours will be some ofthe first left-handed ones to come off the line with the N/T neck.

My first Taylor was a 510CE.

You are going to love your dreadnought cutaway.

Here's to waiting!
Old 12-13-2000, 11:01 PM

Talking

It'll be interesting to see if your Taylor's have any changes in the series also. As I heard in other posts, Taylor was making some changes, but I'll just take those as a grain of salt until I see for myself *tsk tsk, I'm spreading rumors...heh*. Anyways, best of wishes as you wait for your Taylor! I'm sure you're going to enjoy it! (good choice with the dreadnaught! hehe)
Randall
Old 12-14-2000, 01:16 PM

Warblade,

I try not to post anything not supported by fact. I have "heard" and read of sweeping changes in many of Taylor's lines for 2001.

I can report the following:

When I placed an order for a 512C, I was told by my dealer that the binding would be changed to Rosewood from Tortoise colored plastic and the rosette would be Koa. Whether that means no plasic in the Rosette and binding, I am not sure. The present 500 series Rosette is concentric rings of plastic surrounding a ring of abalone and the binding has inner black and white layers.
As large as the company has grown, if you read the article in Wood & Steel concerning the GC and Jumbo body redesign, you still get the impression that either Bob Taylor makes the style changes personally or has strong control over the process. I asked sales for pictures of the 500 series changes. None will be available to me before the redesigned catalog which they report will be available 1/2001.

That's all I know.
Old 12-16-2000, 03:05 PM

Hey again,
Earlier this morning I went into my local music shop fully intending to do nothing more than take a look at a 410ce because I have one on order (lefty) and I felt the itch to see one again.
To make a long story short, a friend began strumming a 510ce within earshot of me and that was all it took to get me inquiring about ugrading. I wouldn't have regretted getting the 410 but that 510 was just something else ....ETA 03/2000

Derek

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion