The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2000, 11:53 PM
wheeler

Post Taylor Dreadnought

Hello!!! I want to buy a new Taylor but can't decide which one to buy. I like the dreadnought 510. Is the sound of the 700 or 800 any better for the money or not. Also should I get the electric or plain acoustic. Thanks Michael
Old 12-12-2000, 01:29 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Talking

Hi, Wheeler. Welcome to the Forum! You've asked some good questions. Unfortunately, some of them can only be answered by your own ear. Some people swear by the mahogany 500 series, while others prefer the sound of rosewood on the 700 and 800 series. I personally fall into the latter category, as I think the 714CE is one of the best Taylor guitars I've ever heard.

As far as the electronics go.... if you think you'll be plugging in, I'd suggest going ahead and investing in the electronics, now. When playing live, the preamp controls right at your fingertips are very convenient, and Taylor installs some nice pickups in all their guitars. If you don't like the "door" in the side of the guitar, you can opt for the Fishman Natural I or II pickup.

Good Luck!!
J.R. Rogers
Old 12-12-2000, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wheeler:
Hello!!! I want to buy a new Taylor but can't decide which one to buy. I like the dreadnought 510. Is the sound of the 700 or 800 any better for the money or not. Also should I get the electric or plain acoustic. Thanks Michael
How many have you played? Which ones sound best to you? Once you get the hang of it there is a definite difference between mahogany (510) and rosewood (710,810) guitars. Take your time. Try as many combinations as you can. Remember, we can't hear what sounds best to you.

------------------
George Wilson
Old 12-12-2000, 02:59 AM

Don't forget to play the 600 series guitars. That maple is incredible, especially if you're planning to play out somewhere and need to be plugged in.

Just a thought.

Chuck
Old 12-12-2000, 09:12 AM

I think the 510 is a lovely compliment to the 810.....I think you need both!!

Sorry, TAS is kickin in early today!

You got some great advice here, play them all and trust your ears. You will know which is right for you.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

Erm
Old 12-12-2000, 10:25 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Talking

Editor's note: TAS = Taylor Acquisition Syndrome
Old 12-12-2000, 05:11 PM

Howdy

Too bad the 600 Series is all on cutaway nowadays! I would want to get a 610 natural-colour... we have one at our church (a '93 vintage!) and it's sweeeeeeet! The geetar has aged pretty well and the tone is bright.

As for the topic's question: everyone is correct——you gotta base your purchase on feel and sound! I think that the 510 or the 810 is good, but that's my subjective opinion. Try it out and see what model speaks to you.

And as for the electric or plain, remember that unless you customise it through Taylor (or install it afterwards), any x10 is going to have a cutaway, plus with the Onboard Blender installed at the left side. I got mine without all that and i later installed a Fishman Natural I on my 310. It all depends whether you will need to be plugged in or not. IF i didn't use my 310 for church worship, then i would have NEVER installed a pickup. But, necessity outweighs opinion~ hehe

Blessings,
nick
Old 12-13-2000, 03:36 AM

Lightbulb

Just bought an 810 after playing numerous models including 310,410,410ce, 510, 510 anniversary edition, 614ce, 814ce and K10 along with Martins like the hd28 and Larrivee's.
The 510 and especially the anniversary edition were a close contender. However, the reason I opted for the 810 -- a 2000 model with the new neck--- was that this particular guitar had them all beat IMHO. Now I tried several 810's and only this one spoke to me.I think the new neck is a major improvement and would not consider a model without it if you have a choice. The 810 with the old neck I tried was very unimpressive.Is there a big difference between the 510 and 810, I believe there is but only on select guitars. You have to do your playing homework... good luck!
Oh in regards to the electronics, you seem to lose a small amount of natural projection with electronics, but if you need them you need them. Personally I do not and what is paramount to me is pure tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion