The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-15-2016, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
If you are willing to go to 1.72" ... I would look at Gibson LG-2s. The American Eagle being the least expensive. I played a Keb Mo ... sounded fantastic ... but had like 1.8" nut
This is right on. The AE is a jewel. They are sweet with elixirs, and funky with monels. They are comfortable, have a great C neck, and the new model 2016 has some really nice upgrades.

I also love the CEO7s. Very chunky neck.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:20 PM

It doesn't have the typical "Martin" sound that you (and I, for that matter!) love most, but something to put on your radar is the Breedlove Oregon Series Dreadnought. It has a 1 3/4'' nut, a solid sitka top and solid myrtlewood back and sides. I've played a few and found them to be very rich sounding, and myrtlewood is absolutely stunning! The neck is very comfortable, every single one I've picked up has played like an electric guitar, and it certainly has that "C" profile!

Just to note, the Oregon Series is Breedlove's entry-level made in the USA line of guitars, and if you want to try a few other flavors, they also make a Premier Series, where you can get mahogany/rosewood back and sides, and a Legacy Series, which has unique wood combinations for each body shape (the dreadnought is cocobolo, for example). Moving up to a higher series can mean the addition of a cutaway or their bridge truss system, so that's also something to look out for! Enjoy the hunt!
Martin OM-28 (2015)

Epiphone 1984 Explorer EX (2015)
Old 04-15-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
This is right on. The AE is a jewel. They are sweet with elixirs, and funky with monels. They are comfortable, have a great C neck, and the new model 2016 has some really nice upgrades.

I also love the CEO7s. Very chunky neck.
Sal, thanks for the recommend! You and I like a lot of the same things, though I end up on the Martin end when you end up on the Gibby end! I'll def try to check out an LG2! And I love the CEO-7, so that's always an option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXMike View Post
It doesn't have the typical "Martin" sound that you (and I, for that matter!) love most, but something to put on your radar is the Breedlove Oregon Series Dreadnought. It has a 1 3/4'' nut, a solid sitka top and solid myrtlewood back and sides. I've played a few and found them to be very rich sounding, and myrtlewood is absolutely stunning! The neck is very comfortable, every single one I've picked up has played like an electric guitar, and it certainly has that "C" profile!

Just to note, the Oregon Series is Breedlove's entry-level made in the USA line of guitars, and if you want to try a few other flavors, they also make a Premier Series, where you can get mahogany/rosewood back and sides, and a Legacy Series, which has unique wood combinations for each body shape (the dreadnought is cocobolo, for example). Moving up to a higher series can mean the addition of a cutaway or their bridge truss system, so that's also something to look out for! Enjoy the hunt!
I've owned a great Breedlove before, and American Series OM, that sounded great, but the neck was a bit small for me. It was the thinnest neck I've ever played! Now, I've never noticed another Breedlove that had the same neck, so maybe it was an anomaly? I haven't played the Oregon dread, but I have tried the concert, and it's a sweet little guitar. I'll try to find a dread! Thanks!
Old 04-15-2016, 04:14 PM

if you think the Authentic neck is too chunky you won't like the OM-18V. Don't get me wrong, it is a wonderful guitar in every way but the neck and the bridge string spacing is wider than a OM-28V.

My advise would be to save up and order a Custom OM-18 with GE bracing and a neck shape of your choice. Maybe a 0000-18 too. Good luck
Old 04-15-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongie View Post
if you think the Authentic neck is too chunky you won't like the OM-18V. Don't get me wrong, it is a wonderful guitar in every way but the neck and the bridge string spacing is wider than a OM-28V.

My advise would be to save up and order a Custom OM-18 with GE bracing and a neck shape of your choice. Maybe a 0000-18 too. Good luck
It's not size, but shape, that seems to be the determining factor for me. My Northwood neck is the thickest I've owned and it's super comfortable. I guess it's more the meat in the cheeks than the overall size.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:51 AM

Okay, I re-read one of your post and realised you prefer beefier neck. My bad.

Yep, I agree, the OM-18V is a very nice git. Mine will never be for sale, it's that good. That is one small body that can hold it self with the bigger boys. And very affordable.

I also agree with Authentic's but too expensive.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:14 AM

I probably wouldn't so much look for the guitar as let it find me. I don't know why, but it seems that every time I've ever decided I was going to buy a guitar and went shopping for one. I'd eventually regret having purchased the one I did. There are just so many good choices that it seems to get dizzyingly confusing. And eventually one gets tired of weighing the options and hurries the process.
As a matter of habit, I always stop into any store that I have opportunity to visit that sells guitars. To check over and sample the inventory. And often after I've hurried a purchase, I find that later I stumble across one that I like better. I guess in short that what I'm saying is take your time.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:43 AM

I'd walk into a fine guitar store with a large inventory, carrying a bandana.

I'd speak briefly with the most knowledgeable person there, giving them my price point and sit down on a stool after tying the bandana around my head, covering my eyes.

I'd buy the best guitar I played that day.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-16-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
I probably wouldn't so much look for the guitar as let it find me. I don't know why, but it seems that every time I've ever decided I was going to buy a guitar and went shopping for one. I'd eventually regret having purchased the one I did. There are just so many good choices that it seems to get dizzyingly confusing. And eventually one gets tired of weighing the options and hurries the process.
As a matter of habit, I always stop into any store that I have opportunity to visit that sells guitars. To check over and sample the inventory. And often after I've hurried a purchase, I find that later I stumble across one that I like better. I guess in short that what I'm saying is take your time.
Amen to this. I'm in a position to wait and bide my time, as my two guitars really cover the bases well. no rushing! Well...not planning to anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I'd walk into a fine guitar store with a large inventory, carrying a bandana.

I'd speak briefly with the most knowledgeable person there, giving them my price point and sit down on a stool after tying the bandana around my head, covering my eyes.

I'd buy the best guitar I played that day.
Now that's a good plan!
Old 04-18-2016, 02:09 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Anyone else have any suggestions? What would you be looking for if you were in my shoes?
Old 04-18-2016, 02:26 PM

Try the Breedlove Revival OMs. 1 3/4 nut width, C shape neck and standard scale. Meets all your requirements and a great value.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Try the Breedlove Revival OMs. 1 3/4 nut width, C shape neck and standard scale. Meets all your requirements and a great value.
Thanks Paul! I really liked the Breedlove American OM I had, but I swear it was the thinnest neck I've ever played. We're the Revival series necks any bigger?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion