The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-01-2015, 10:03 AM

A few weeks ago I posted a long review in which I came to essentially the same conclusions as the original poster. I thought the Dread Jr. had really wonderful playability, but meh tone.

After that review I returned to GC a couple of weeks later, and they had another Dread Jr., so I played it. I was again struck how great the action is and how nice it feels to play, but the tone on this particular guitar was even less impressive than the first one I played.

The only thing this proves is that there are at least three mediocre sounding Dread Jrs out there: the two I played and the one the original poster played. At the other end, I'm sure there are some really nice-sounding Jrs out there, and it sounds like a few forum members managed to snag one of them. Kudos!

So the point is, this is one guitar you REALLY want to play before you buy. You'll probably wind up paying more because you can't order from MF with a coupon, free shipping and no tax, but you probably don't want to roll the dice on this model. Like the GS Mini, there seems to be a lot of variability between guitars, and you'll want to shop around to find a keeper.

Which incidentally, is what I did. I wound up buying a hog GS Mini at that GC. It didn't play as nicely as the Dread Jr., but it was set up better than most stock Minis and sounded wonderful. They also had a pristine used hog Mini for $400, but the one I chose sounded vastly superior so it was worth the extra bucks to me. I did happen to have a coupon, so my out the door price for the Mini was the same as I would have paid for the Dread Jr I cancelled.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
I was aware of that. I don't see the Fender having "inferior" materials. Maybe I'm missing something. ......Mike
Mike,
My fender is a low cost orient built laminate bodied small bodied guitar with plastic saddle and nut. I'm not saying that to be mean or disrespectful. I knew going in what I was buying. It has good fit and finish and is a well made instrument and sound very nice. It plays extremely well. But it is made of inferior materials when compared to the Martin.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 06-01-2015, 06:48 PM

Maybe the dread body style simply isn't suited to shrinking with a reduced scale? I have never, ever played a guitar with a shorter than standard (24.75-25.5) scale which sounded any good-I even struggle with 24.75. I guess I just like the vibrancy and urgency of attack that longer scales give. The GS Mini just feels like a toy to me and I have been less than enamoured with this Martin Junior thing. I don't know why they bothered, frankly.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
My band used to play 10-CC's Dreadlock Holiday back in the 80s.

"I don't like reggae.... No,no.... I love it!"

Maybe you don't like the Dread Jr. maybe you love it!
That would be Dreadnaught Holiday.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrison314 View Post
I had the same experience with the Taylor Mini.....played one at GC and thought it stunk, then went to another store in town that had two and thought they both played and sounded great.
Played one at the GC and at the Taylor Factory showroom (would think they would put out a better than average example). No offense to those that admire them, but they had a toy-like sound to me.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion