The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-26-2014, 12:53 PM

Default Your thoughts on the Blueridge BR-143A?

I want to add a 000/mahogany to the arsenal. I don't want to spent Martin $ on one, so I'm considering the BR-143A.

I know there are some 143 & 143A owners here. Most reviews are favorable and it looks like what I'm wanting.
(headstock is easier on the eye than the 143 too)

I'd appreciate anything you'd care to share before I pull the trigger.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:04 PM

Don't own a 143A, but have owned a BR-160A for several years … and could not be happier. Build and tone far exceed expectations for an instrument in this price range.

If you have the luxury of playing the BRidge and comparable other brands such as Eastman, Recording King, etc., side-by-side, that would be a good exercise. But if you are buying without playing the actual guitar, I don't know how you could spend your money better if you are wantng the classic Martinish tone.

rb
Old 12-26-2014, 01:06 PM

I've had a BR 043 for 7-8 years and it has been problem free since I walked out of the store with it. I bought it at Guitar Showcase in San Jose. The salesman adjusted the tress rod in the store and the action has stayed exactly the same since. It's usually not in it's case but likes to hang out where I watch TV. This is not the solid wood model but with a laminated back and sides. I don't know that any guitar has better playability. Of course I wish I had bought the 163 instead.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:13 PM

I had a br143 for a while.

It was a nice guitar. Really woody and zingy if you like hog.

The craftsmanship and aesthetics could be better.

Great guitar for the money. You might also check out an Eastman E6om. The quality is heads and shoulders above.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:28 PM

Allow me to add to discussion,

My local store carries Blueridge, I have sampled a lot of them. Have owned BR-162 model, 000 size twelve fret spruce/rosewood and currently own a BR-341 00 spruce/mahogany twelve fret.
A good friend has BR143 and it is a great guitar, very woody and towards a Martin sound spectrum.
Recently I have played BR-143A and it seemed that red spruce top will require a heavy hand and thick pick to break it in properly, while not a dud, it just was not as responsive as BR-143 that was hanging right next to it. Seemed stiff but from all I have read about red spruce seems to point towards a long term ownership, that is to get the most out of it. I am sure with regular use that guitar will blossom into phenomenal instrument. It needed a set up and action lowered for how I like to play, just my own preference. Well put together, no sharp fret ends, good intonation all over the neck.
About three years ago or so I played a killer BR-140A dread, red spruce/mahogany and that thing was a cannon, thought the walls will come down when flatpicked

Our vendor Maurys Music has great pricing on Blueridge instruments, with his generous return policy it makes for a sound purchase. Food for thought. No affiliation.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
I want to add a 000/mahogany to the arsenal. I don't want to spent Martin $ on one, so I'm considering the BR-143A.

I know there are some 143 & 143A owners here. Most reviews are favorable and it looks like what I'm wanting.
(headstock is easier on the eye than the 143 too)

I'd appreciate anything you'd care to share before I pull the trigger.
As an alternative consideration, you could look around for a deal on a Larrivee OM-03. You should be able to find one in a comparable price range or maybe just a little bit more.

Not knocking the Blueridge here...great axe for the money, but I think you might find that the Larrivee is next-level in that regard. It's very plain cosmetically but comparable in tone and play to anything within a grand of the price you'll pay.

I almost bought a Blueridge dread...I think it was a BR 160. I was literally standing in line with it and they took so long that I got bored & decided to A-B it with an L-03...wow, just wow. I walked out with the Larrivee even though it was a couple hundred more, and it is my main gigging acoustic to this day.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 12-26-2014, 02:29 PM

Same here, I'm a die-hard dread player, wanted to add a smaller guitar but didn't want to spend too much money. So about 3 years ago I bought a BR 143A.

I think it's a very good guitar, great for fingerpicking, good for strumming and flatpicking. Unlike what was reported here, I never felt the guitar to be stiff.
The red spruce top adds some kind of sparkle you just don't get with Sitka.
It's not exactly sounding like a Martin, BR got their own signature sound, I'd say a bit more sparkling, clear, but dry and woody.
Neck is 1 3/4'', but feels a bit wider, not really beefy, kind of low profile, comfortable to play.
Fit and finish on my guitar are flawless, ok, it's not a Collings, but no problems so far.
I think you can't go wrong with the 143A.

You may also wanna consider the Eastman E10OM (red spruce/mahogany B/S).
I have an Eastman E20OM (red spruce/rosewood B/S), which is a fantastic guitar (nitro finish), just two days ago I played the E10OM, great guitar.

Michael
Old 12-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

I still like mine a lot. Light, resonant, responsive and sounds great.

More details on mine here:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=336160

-Mike
Old 12-26-2014, 04:57 PM

Hey thanks for the info thus far! And I'm also considering Eastman as well.

Now some of you are calling the top wood "red spruce" is this a synonym for Adirondack spruce?
Because the spec on all Blueridge guitars with the "A" designation state Adirondack.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
Hey thanks for the info thus far! And I'm also considering Eastman as well.

Now some of you are calling the top wood "red spruce" is this a synonym for Adirondack spruce?
Because the spec on all Blueridge guitars with the "A" designation state Adirondack.
Adirondack Spruce = Red Spruce (which is the species), comes specifically from Adirondack Mountains

Quote:
'
Picea rubens (red spruce) is a species of spruce native to eastern North America, ranging from eastern Quebec to Nova Scotia, and from New England south in the Adirondack Mountains and Appalachians to western North Carolina.
'

Michael

Last edited by michid28; 12-26-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michid28 View Post
Adirondack Spruce = Red Spruce (which is the species), comes specifically from Adirondack Mountains

Michael

Adirondack sounds fancier = More $

Got it thanx!
Old 12-26-2014, 06:06 PM

I have not played the 143a but I have not played a bad sounding Blueridge, honestly. ! played a BR40A that was paint peeler too with great tone to boot. I mean room shaking - seriously. I don't like thinner profile necks so i went Eastman.

I would find it hard to believe that you could find a better 000 hog/spruce for the money than an Eastman E6OM. Loud, punchy and balanced. In the Eastman line I strongly preferred the sweetness of the Sitka to the sound of the Adi models - they just sounded "tight" for lack of a better word (IMHO).

i tried an RK RO-10 too. A good guitar for the $ but not in the league of the Eastman.

BR & Eastman are great bang for the buck.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 12-26-2014, 10:13 PM

If you like the Martin tone then the Blueridge should do nicely.

I bought my 143A used and it was a little harsh when strumming. I had to put it on the Tonerite for a couple of weeks and that tamed it right down. If you are using it at jams I think it would hold it's own with some dreads even. It's that loud. Almost too loud to sing with unless you have a powerful voice.

I think where it really shines is finger style. Perfect volume and absolutely beautiful tone when using your bare fingers. The best of all my guitars.

Eastman's are nice, but I have never played an Adi topped one. The Eastman's have a somewhat unique voicing, also.

As far as the Larrivee's are concerned... I had a L-03 and it was very balanced but much quieter. Would not hold it's own in a room with other guitars. Good for recording, though. Also, the "L" shape is not as comfortable as the "000" IMHO.

Good luck with your quest!!
2012 Eastman HE322CE w/K&K
2013 Breedlove Atlas Stage C25/SRe
2015 Epiphone DR-500MCE/NA w/JJB
2016 Gibson J-15 w/K&K
2016 Recording King ROS G9M
2017 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-45ME/VSS
2018 Yamaha FS-TA
2018 Taylor 110e w/ES2
2018 AMI JM-SG45 w/JJB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion