The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-27-2013, 09:05 PM

Default Any info on luthier Dale Crouser?

I'm looking for information on luthier/repairman Dale Crouser of W.Va. It's not easy to find information on him. He is known for rich inlay work and great tone. I have been told that Dale died (cancer) about 2000.

Anybody have info or know any Dale Crouser stories?

Here is a DC that I own, a lavishly inlaid Brazilian dreadnought:

Old 03-14-2014, 05:41 AM

Default Dale Crouser

Dale was a good friend and mentor of mine. We worked together at the WV Division of Highways and I spent many lunch breaks asking him guitar making questions. My first guitar project was to finish a guitar Dale had started. He asked me if I would be interested in buying the unfinished project off of him. He wanted to focus on some other creative projects I think. He had glued the body together but it still needed binding and the neck had to be made. I still have in my files some geometric themes he sketched for me when we were discussing inlay one day. The guitar turned out nice although it doesn't play as well as his do. Dale gave me one of his business cards and wrote on the front "This guitar was finished with the help of my friend Matt." I used it as a label inside the guitar. Dale was a really great guy who was very generous with his knowledge and love of guitars. He made a few banjo's too, but I never got to see or play one. They were standard length but the 5th string started at the 7th fret instead of the 5th.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:04 PM

Default Great info!

Thanks for the response. I've had this guitar for about 12 years, bought from a private dealer in Denver. I talked to someone years ago who knew DC and was familiar with the guitar, who said Dale originally intended to make this one a 12, but changed his mind part way through. It plays like butter and has that old-Martin dreadnaught woof.

Any idea how many guitars Dale built or have any other information about him. It seems a shame that he is not remembered very much in luthier circles.

JB
Old 03-21-2014, 11:35 AM

I really don't know how many he built. I don't think it was a lot though. I only knew him for the last few years of his life when he was sick and not actively building. You may try contacting Joe Dobbs, owner of "Fret n Fiddle" in St. Albans, WV 304-722-5212. I'm sure he would have a better history for you. I really enjoyed looking at that picture. I forgot how much of Dale's style I mimicked, especially the bridge and headstock.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digpicks View Post
I really don't know how many he built. I don't think it was a lot though. I only knew him for the last few years of his life when he was sick and not actively building. You may try contacting Joe Dobbs, owner of "Fret n Fiddle" in St. Albans, WV 304-722-5212. I'm sure he would have a better history for you. I really enjoyed looking at that picture. I forgot how much of Dale's style I mimicked, especially the bridge and headstock.
Oh, great info - thanks, dig. I'll call Joe and see what he can tell me. Did Dale die of lung cancer? That's what I heard, anyway. This one is Brazilian rosewood (3-piece back) and heavy, but I love the tone.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:31 PM

Yea it was lung cancer that had gone outside the lung and was inoperable. He put up a very strong fight!
Old 03-21-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digpicks View Post
Yea it was lung cancer that had gone outside the lung and was inoperable. He put up a very strong fight!
Lord, what a way to go. Didn't he do a fair amount of coal mining in his younger days? If so, I wonder if that was the cause...
Old 07-06-2014, 09:25 AM

Default Dale Massey Crouser

Hey guys ....

I have the honor of being the younger brother of Dale Massey Crouser and I followed his luthier career very closely (traded Jack Stuck a bunch of comic books for a ukulele which he eventually decided to take apart to see what made it work).

I'm pretty sure he perfected the DC icon before he finished his first guitar and it appeared on all of his work.

Matt, I remember him talking about you and how he was pleased to find someone who enjoyed the field as much as he did. That gave him great peace in his later years.

And yes, Dale died of lung cancer that eventually turned into a bunch of other things some five years later (June 23, 1939 - March 10, 2000). And no, like me, I doubt if he was ever in a coal mine so he had no industry connection. He primarily worked for the State of West Virginia Department of Transportation where he was an assistant in the Research Department.

He graduated from Charleston High School (1958) and West Virginia Wesleyan College (Buckhannon, WV) with a bachelor's degree in Psychology (1962). His widow and high school sweetheart, Gwendolyn Arthur Crouser, still lives in Charleston, WV. They had no children.

One of Dale's crowning achievements was that he won first placed in the West Virginia Juried ART Exhibit with a combination matched-set entry of a five-string and a twelve-string guitar along with a banjo. Yup. He luthier work won an ART contest.

For the most part, Dale and his work lived in a world of musicians among which he was famous. Gwen and I got to come along for the ride.

Anyway, that's off the top of my head.

I give great thanks to my grandson, Joshua Thomas Crouser, an aspiring guitarist in Half Moon Bay, California, who quizzed me about "Uncle Dale" this weekend and then Googled his name and came up with this threat.

Also, for reference, Rex Edward Crouser, II is our family historian and compiler of all historic facts and would love to share and hear of any of Dale's exploits. You may reach him at [email protected] or reach me at [email protected]. I am glad to chat at anytime.

Following is a collage Gwen had made after Dale's passing in 2000.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrouser View Post
Hey guys ....

I have the honor of being the younger brother of Dale Massey Crouser and I followed his luthier career very closely (traded Jack Stuck a bunch of comic books for a ukulele which he eventually decided to take apart to see what made it work).

I'm pretty sure he perfected the DC icon before he finished his first guitar and it appeared on all of his work.

Matt, I remember him talking about you and how he was pleased to find someone who enjoyed the field as much as he did. That gave him great peace in his later years.

And yes, Dale died of lung cancer that eventually turned into a bunch of other things some five years later (June 23, 1939 - March 10, 2000). And no, like me, I doubt if he was ever in a coal mine so he had no industry connection. He primarily worked for the State of West Virginia Department of Transportation where he was an assistant in the Research Department.

He graduated from Charleston High School (1958) and West Virginia Wesleyan College (Buckhannon, WV) with a bachelor's degree in Psychology (1962). His widow and high school sweetheart, Gwendolyn Arthur Crouser, still lives in Charleston, WV. They had no children.

One of Dale's crowning achievements was that he won first placed in the West Virginia Juried ART Exhibit with a combination matched-set entry of a five-string and a twelve-string guitar along with a banjo. Yup. He luthier work won an ART contest.

For the most part, Dale and his work lived in a world of musicians among which he was famous. Gwen and I got to come along for the ride.

Anyway, that's off the top of my head.

I give great thanks to my grandson, Joshua Thomas Crouser, an aspiring guitarist in Half Moon Bay, California, who quizzed me about "Uncle Dale" this weekend and then Googled his name and came up with this threat.

Also, for reference, Rex Edward Crouser, II is our family historian and compiler of all historic facts and would love to share and hear of any of Dale's exploits. You may reach him at [email protected] or reach me at [email protected]. I am glad to chat at anytime.

Following is a collage Gwen had made after Dale's passing in 2000.

Wow, Tom, I can't thank you enough for the information. Dale was a talented luthier who definitely had his own style. I mean, so many high-end acoustic guitars at shows these days seem a lot alike. But not Dale's guitars. If feels and plays wonderful, too.

Here's the head kick: I OWN the dreadnaught in the lower left of the collage - - unless Dale made more than one. It is magnificent. I heard it was originally supposed to be a 12-string but at some point he changed his mind and made it a 6. Heavy (internal mic, though), but the Brazilian rosewood gives it a terrific woof sound, like old Martin dreads.

Here is a slideshow of the guitar. Everyone please forgive the ancient pics, will upload better ones.

http://s832.photobucket.com/user/the...aught%20Guitar

Thanks again for the background and tips. Your brother was awesome, truly. He left a substantial legacy in the hearts of friends and family and in the hands of lucky players.

Thanks again,
J. Brasher
Old 07-06-2014, 09:37 PM

Default AGF is breathtaking

I knew that if my post about Dale would get traction anywhere, it would be here. I love the underdog, but the top dog is great, too. Happy, happy, happy am I.

brash
Old 07-07-2014, 08:32 AM

<<I OWN the dreadnaught in the lower left of the collage - - unless Dale made more than one. It is magnificent. I heard it was originally supposed to be a 12-string but at some point he changed his mind and made it a 6. Heavy (internal mic, though), but the Brazilian rosewood gives it a terrific woof sound, like old Martin dreads.>>

As far as I know, Dale never made two of anything but do remember the guitar you are speaking of very well. Unfortunately, I can't shed any light on the 12-string, 6 string thing but he used a lot of Brazilian rosewood in his work. By the way, he also became an authorized Martin repairman after a number of years which he really enjoyed doing. Hope this helps and please let us know if you run into any others. I know some members of the family are interested in getting at least one back into family hands. Tom
Old 07-15-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrouser View Post
As far as I know, Dale never made two of anything but do remember the guitar you are speaking of very well. Unfortunately, I can't shed any light on the 12-string, 6 string thing but he used a lot of Brazilian rosewood in his work. By the way, he also became an authorized Martin repairman after a number of years which he really enjoyed doing. Hope this helps and please let us know if you run into any others. I know some members of the family are interested in getting at least one back into family hands. Tom
I am planning to sell it, actually. Things being equal, I would much rather sell it to Dale's family. I suspect this guitar was his masterpiece, at least among his guitars. PM me if there is interest.

brash
Old 07-15-2014, 01:32 PM

brash,

Check your private messages.

Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion