The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-26-2013, 04:37 PM

Default Guild D-25

You could offer me a custom shop Collings or Santa Cruz as a trade and I wouldn't give up my 79 D25. Not on your life. Best live and recording guitar I've ever owned.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:00 PM

I got at 1975 D25 about 15 years ago from the 12th Fret in Toronto. I knew nothing about acoustic guitars back then. It came with and odd True Tone Microphone system in it. I pulled that out and sold it on Ebay for 250$ and replaced it with a Baggs Element. It sounded deep and fabulous. The strip tuners had been replaced with Grovers at some point before I owned it. It went everywhere with me, camping, on holidays, the desert, Costa Rica. There were many nights that guitar stayed out under the elements. For a couple of years it was the communal rehearsal space guitar. It's done hundreds of gigs. At one point a double bass fell over and dug a gouge in. it. I've moved on to fancier guitars since but I'd never let this one go.

It's so solid, and the action is so perfect I use it for all sorts of experimental tunings. I would never let it go.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:03 PM

I picked up a used one in Portland, Or. back in 75 or so. I liked the way it sounded but being all Mahogany, it wasn't a particularly a loud guitar. I paid $200 for it, which may have been a lot back then. I was just on my way to trading up to a Martin D-28, my dream guitar, which I wound up with, a couple of trades later. It wasn't too long after that, that I learned the folly of trading with music stores.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:13 PM

Default Guild D25

Anyone know what year Guild switched from a braced back to an un-braced bowl back? It was in the early '70's somewhere. There is a D25 on eBay right now with a braced back and a serial number of 62602, which I believe makes it a '72.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Charlie View Post
Anyone know what year Guild switched from a braced back to an un-braced bowl back? It was in the early '70's somewhere. There is a D25 on eBay right now with a braced back and a serial number of 62602, which I believe makes it a '72.
From what I have seen for sale on eBay over the last 7 years, the transition year for flat backed/braced to arched back/unbraced was 1973. Prior to 1973, D-25s were all mahogany and had flat backs. During the transition ('73-'74), there were some all mahogany arched back D-25s made. By '75 most all D-25s made had spruce tops and arched mahogany backs (until the flat backed version was re-introduced when Guild moved to Corona, CA).
Old 11-17-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostwriter View Post
Should I have kept my 1978 Guild D-25?
what was your reason for selling? you probably can't do much better for $500. however, there are many, many, many better guitars out there than the old Guild D25's (IMHO at least! i used to work at Guild when they made these puppies). not a knock on the D25. they are what they are. all depends on your budget though.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 12-06-2013, 07:57 PM

Default Curious

As a Guild insider, billgennaro, what would you say was the most impressive guitar you came across in the Westerly facility?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion