The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-02-2013, 08:54 AM

Default My First Banjo

I've been playing guitar for 40+ years. I have a borrowed Washburn B-12 banjo and I've been learning some rolls.
I'm looking for suggestions on buying a banjo. I don't want to spend a ton of money but I know that spending too little will leave me dissatisfied. I fingerpick the guitar (mostly) and enjoy a nice sounding instrument. I could buy the borrowed B-12 but it is in need of a serious setup. I know NOTHING about banjos except a few bad banjo jokes (the jokes are bad not the banjos, on second thought...)
What would you recommend in the $500 range (setup included), if anything? What might be a fair price on the B-12 considering it needs a setup. Or do I need to push my budget? I prefer used instruments bought from good retailer that will do a good set-up, eg. Elderly, Mandolin Bros, etc.
Thanks
Old 09-02-2013, 09:02 AM

Default My First Banjo

Exciting that you're wandering into the world of the banjo! Are you looking for an open back/old time/clawhammer banjo, or a bluegrass banjo with a resonator?
Old 09-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

My first advice would be to head over to www.banjohangout.com. It's a great board with great folks and if you ask this question over there you will get way more answers. Plus, they have an awesome classifieds section to look at used models.

Banjos are like guitars. Although many people seek a specific tone (usually pre-war Gibson) the reality is that only by playing a variety of banjos can you determine what works best for you. Get something that has low action, is well setup, and you like the tone.

My fist question for you is this: do you plan to go to bluegrass jams? If the answer is yes, then you need a banjo with a resonator and a tone ring. If the answer is no, then you can go without either or both of these. Two very nice banjos in your price range are the Deering Goodtime and Recording King RK20. Neither has a true tone ring but they both are fairly light, easy to play, and have good tone. That's the route I would go if you don't plan to jam.

Now, if your intention is to eventually jam, and you want that loud, in your face, bluegrass sound, I would look for an Epiphone MB250 or try to find a good used model. The Recording King RK35 or RK36 are the absolute best bang for the buck on the market right now. But, it'll cost $800 new. You might find a used one in your price range.

Now, get on over to Banjo Hangout and read some related posts!

Todd
Old 09-02-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
My first advice would be to head over to www.banjohangout.com. It's a great board with great folks and if you ask this question over there you will get way more answers. Plus, they have an awesome classifieds section to look at used models.

Banjos are like guitars. Although many people seek a specific tone (usually pre-war Gibson) the reality is that only by playing a variety of banjos can you determine what works best for you. Get something that has low action, is well setup, and you like the tone.

My fist question for you is this: do you plan to go to bluegrass jams? If the answer is yes, then you need a banjo with a resonator and a tone ring. If the answer is no, then you can go without either or both of these. Two very nice banjos in your price range are the Deering Goodtime and Recording King RK20. Neither has a true tone ring but they both are fairly light, easy to play, and have good tone. That's the route I would go if you don't plan to jam.

Now, if your intention is to eventually jam, and you want that loud, in your face, bluegrass sound, I would look for an Epiphone MB250 or try to find a good used model. The Recording King RK35 or RK36 are the absolute best bang for the buck on the market right now. But, it'll cost $800 new. You might find a used one in your price range.

Now, get on over to Banjo Hangout and read some related posts!

Todd
That's where I went when I was looking at banjos last year. Great site. The Deering Goodtime is a well respected guitar in that price range.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:37 AM

Dru,

My suggestion was going to be Deering Goodtime also! If you want a resonator banjo, get the Goodtime 2.

Also look at the Gold Tone line.

My son bought me a Dean BW5 for Christmas and it impressed my banjo instructor (who sells Gold Tone) quite a bit.
They can be hit or miss, though, so you really need them carefully checked out before buying.
I also have a Gold Tone CC-50RP that I bought as a wreck and am in the process of rebuilding. It's also the tool that I use to learn about banjo construction & repair techniques.
I've learned a LOT from the web also. Here's a link to the banjo rebuild: http://s49.photobucket.com/user/dcarey69/story/5843
Banjo Hangout is my go to place for pointers & links when I'm looking for info.

Good Luck!

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Last edited by Dan Carey; 09-02-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:41 AM

In your opening post you mentioned that you're learning some rolls so you probably want to look for a banjo with a resonator. If you can try to find one with a cast tonering rather than a rolled one, it will sound much better. Here is a used Recording King RK35 at Elderly, http://elderly.com/vintage/items/70U-3838.htm . Depending on the cost of having the needed work done it could be a pretty good deal. Bernuzio's has a used Deering Goodtime 'Special' that looks pretty good as well, http://bernunzio.com/product/deering-goodtime-17495/, but may be more than you want to spend.
Regards,
Ed
Old 09-02-2013, 09:48 AM

Thanks to everyone !!
I interested in learning bluegrass to start.
I'm not sure I can find someone to setup a banjo where I live - middle of nowhere in WAY upstate NY.
I'll had over to Banjo Hangout Now. I need anther web site to kill time
Old 09-02-2013, 11:29 AM

You'll also find a wealth of information here: http://www.acousticbox.com/howto.html

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments