The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-16-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transylvania View Post
Thank you for your description which I think is spot on. Your strong and consistant recommendations are a major reason I tried them. And as you said, they bring out tones in my guitar that other strings have been unable to.
Right on, T - so happy to have helped.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:59 PM

Landru, you should be gettin a finder's fee Including myself this person is like the 5th person on here who has tried the Thomastik's because of your recomendation.

2011 57 Reissue Vintage American Stratocaster Lefty
2011 Martin OM28V L
2010 Takamine EG340CH (JUNK)
2013 Seagull S12 Lefty
Old 03-16-2012, 02:52 PM

First comment
Didn't like the plectrums but love the spectrums.
I also use the T.I classic s series in one of my classical guitars which have an alternative sound and vibrate the guitar fully! I onceused them on an cheap Ovation and immediately inceased the volume of the guitar.
(Also great strings for electric are the T.I power brights which i have on my Vigier indus guitar.)
i sound like a commercial lol
Old 03-16-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
I'm a huge fan of Thomastik-Infeld Spectrum strings. For mc1, I'll attempt to describe the tone:

Chocolate bottoms, coffee middles and merengue trebles. There is no hint of what I refer to as the trashy ring and shimmer of new strings, as Spectrums, being a round and full-sounding string, sound "broken-in perfect" when first put on and seem to stay that way for an extended time period. If bright strings are required to liven up a "dead" guitar, these may not work. However, Spectrums will bring out tones that your guitar has but have been ignored by most all of the string sets generally discussed here on the AGF. The obvious disclaimer is that your ears and your guitar will give you a subjective receptor and this will trump anyone's opinion, save for yours. My Martin D-28 Marquis wants these strings, and so do my ears. Other sets I love are Newtone Masterclass, Martin SP 80/20, and Pyramid Western Folk.

TI Spectrum strings are only offered in phosphor bronze round core.
thank you landru, they sound delicious. i like the newtone heritage strings, which are low tension and also not so bright. i tend to avoid really bright strings, so i'll have to try them.

i tried some t-i rope strings on my classical recently and immediately liked them, perhaps because i mainly play my steel strings and they give a little bit of that sound.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:14 PM

A bit of an update.

Ive decided to take them off my rosewood Songwriter as while these strings really bring out the richness and complexity of rosewood, they are a little too warm for this guitar.

Just put them on my Hummingbird and hit a home run. They really warmed up the Bird' like never before, but in a sophisticated way, and as Landru said, Im hearing tones and depth Ive not heard from this guitar before.

My conclusion: Thomastik + Mahogany = Winner !

Rosewood .. not so much.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 03-16-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
Just put them on my Hummingbird and hit a home run. They really warmed up the Bird' like never before, but in a sophisticated way, and as Landru said, Im hearing tones and depth Ive not heard from this guitar before.

My conclusion: Thomastik + Mahogany = Winner !

Rosewood .. not so much.
Hi Gibby; Happy for the home run! Has springtime hit Prague? Best - former ruler of Beta III.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:26 PM

Late to this thread, but I would like to add my voice to the chorus praising Thomastik strings. I first discovered them in my search for an early 30s Gibson L-00. When I found one I liked, I went through several sets of strings. The guitar sounded strident and harsh and I didn't understand the fuss about the model - until I put on AC112s. Truly a transformation!

I use the Plectrums on the L-00 and the SB112 Spectrums on my old J-50, though I tweak the high E and B strings up a notch. I haven't found a preference for them on anything else yet - but they work great on dry, old Gibson boxes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion