The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed422 View Post
Neither of these are generally true.

It amazes me how little most people know about guitars and how opinions are based on something other than experience.

Ed
I understand the generalization because I have and have had different scale lengths but will also support you because I have a short scale 000 that can sit with dreadnoughts and be heard.

The builder makes a big difference.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Neither of these are generally true.

It amazes me how little most people know about guitars and how opinions are based on something other than experience.

Ed
It amazes me how some people make assumptions about what a bunch of strangers know about guitars and can't conceive of the possibility that another Internet poster's opinion could be based on experience.

While a lot of other factors can contribute to a guitar being bend-friendly -- action, fret height and finish, fretboard radius -- it's been my experience, having owned guitars with a range of scale lengths, that on two guitars with the same gauge strings, the one with the shorter scale will have less string tension and thus be easier to bend on. Of course, there's no easy way to make all other factors equal, but that's my experience.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M View Post
...While a lot of other factors can contribute to a guitar being bend-friendly -- action, fret height and finish, fretboard radius -- it's been my experience, having owned guitars with a range of scale lengths, that on two guitars with the same gauge strings, the one with the shorter scale will have less string tension and thus be easier to bend on. Of course, there's no easy way to make all other factors equal, but that's my experience.
This has been my experience, too. I use the same strings on my short scale guitars as I do on my standard scale guitars. I also realize that not all players consider 24.75" scale-length guitars to be short-scale. It depends on a player's perspective.

- Glenn
Old 01-21-2012, 07:25 PM

Ok,

So I wanna try one.. All I have around here in the cold north is GC. What do the stock at GC that I could test drive. Going tomorrow.. Not buyin - jus tryin..

You have all made interesting points and entertaining defenses.. Hehe

Ol school
Old 01-21-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M View Post
It amazes me how some people make assumptions about what a bunch of strangers know about guitars and can't conceive of the possibility that another Internet poster's opinion could be based on experience.

While a lot of other factors can contribute to a guitar being bend-friendly -- action, fret height and finish, fretboard radius -- it's been my experience, having owned guitars with a range of scale lengths, that on two guitars with the same gauge strings, the one with the shorter scale will have less string tension and thus be easier to bend on. Of course, there's no easy way to make all other factors equal, but that's my experience.
As I said farther back, the same gauge strings on a shorter scale will result in lower tension... and I agree, bending will be easier. In my experience, it is far and few between that the same gauge strings will sound best on guitars of different scale lengths. I usually find out which strings sound best on a given guitar. I assumed most people do the same. Obviously, that was a bad assumption.

Ed
Old 01-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol School View Post
Ok,

So I wanna try one.. All I have around here in the cold north is GC. What do the stock at GC that I could test drive. Going tomorrow.. Not buyin - jus tryin...
When you get to GC, ask them what they have in a short scale guitar. They are bound to have some. Then you can make your own judgements, which is always best.

Have fun!
Glenn
Old 01-21-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol School View Post
Ok,

So I wanna try one.. All I have around here in the cold north is GC. What do the stock at GC that I could test drive. Going tomorrow.. Not buyin - jus tryin..

You have all made interesting points and entertaining defenses.. Hehe

Ol school
Judging from the GCs I've been to, chances are pretty good you'll find Gibson J-45s and the Hummingbird Special, various Seagulls, probably a Martin Eric Clapton model, maybe a Taylor _12ce or GC_ (Grand Concert size).

Last edited by Eric_M; 01-21-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-21-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
As I said farther back, the same gauge strings on a shorter scale will result in lower tension... and I agree, bending will be easier. In my experience, it is far and few between that the same gauge strings will sound best on guitars of different scale lengths. I usually find out which strings sound best on a given guitar. I assumed most people do the same. Obviously, that was a bad assumption.

Ed

You know Ed, I thought your previous post in response to mine was presumptious and insulting. Perhaps I should have said something like "all other things being equal, or some such, but didn't think it necessary. Enough said.

D.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:56 PM

Does a short scale lend itself to more rhythmic type playing as well as standard scale? You know, right hand slapping, tapping, strum/muting?

I'm looking at a 24.9" scale OM... which really isn't that short compared to some. Not sure how much I'd notice that compared to my Martin 25.4".

For that matter, my martin dread is one of the cheaper models with laminated back/sides. The guitar I'm looking at is a custom build from Shaggy Chic Guitars with solid Mahogany back.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:44 AM

I have both 25.5 and a 25 ("short" scale) guitars. It's funny that sometimes I find the short scale easier to play and other times I find the 25.5 easier to play. Depends on what I'm playing, how limber I am in a given day, etc. But the short scale is not always easier for me. And I'm talking only about myself. But it's kind of strange to me that sometimes I find the long scale easier and other times the short. I'm not sure what this says about the scale length question in general except, perhaps, that there may not be one definitive answer as to what is easier to play. And I know that ease of play is only one consideration when considering length. Obviously, tonality has to be at the heart of playing.

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 02-12-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

Most of us are pretty traditional and don't hear the subtle nuances of difference in tone between 12 or 13 or 14 fret necked guitars, nor do we find the lowered tension of a short scale to our liking.
Actually since until somewhere around 1930, ALL guitars were 12-fret, and ALL guitars were under 25" in scale, who are the traditionalists?

Bloody bomb-throwing radicals... <G>

TW
Old 02-12-2012, 10:29 AM

With all things being equal, it doesn't take a genius to figure out the impact of a longer scale. Come on! What is there to argue about?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion