The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-02-2007, 11:28 PM

Default 12 fret vs 14 fret

Hello,
I was wondering if someone could explain the sonic differences between 12 fret and 14 fret guitars (assuming that the two guitars are the same otherwise)?
Thanks.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Default My 2 cents

Here's the info I've picked up.

Guitars were pretty much all 12frets until banjo players learning the guitar influenced a change to 14 frets.

I have read that some builders or luthiers believe the added body volume of the 12fret body give it different tonal qualities maybe even better.

Personnally, I own a 12fret and although it is a small 000 and rather shallow 4 3/8", it has a full almost dreadnaught like tone except on the bass end but overall it is very balanced. Even though it's sonic volume isn't there with a larger guitar, it projects well enough to cut though. IMO its hard to find a better guitar that will handle medium strumming and delicate fingerstyle.

Can you tell I really like mine?
Old 03-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Found this as partial explanation. Not written by me.

"On a 12-fret instrument, the bridge is lower on the bouts and tends to be more in the center of the lower bout, and therefore is a little more flexible, which translates into a more open, warm sound. On the flipside a 14-fretter will normally project a little better. Of course there are so many variables in instrument building that great results can be achieved either way."

I own a 12 fret Collings 000-3C. It had fatter trebles and a more refined (less wang/growl) to the base (which is a trade off). I love the fat trebles and the warmth, but would love a stronger distinctive voice from the base. It is definitely a warmer sound. Tebles will bite more on an OM 14 fret. Originally the 12 fretter was shorter as well by about 1/2 inch I think (24.9). I do love 12 frets. But there's lots of room for both, and for recording purposes, you might want a little more sharpness or bite to the trebles.

Stuart
Old 03-04-2007, 01:55 AM

Its better to think of a 12 fretter as having a bigger body by 2 frets worth. It is longer at the upper end. In a dreadnought that can add an additional 36 cubic inches to its internal volume.

I love them, and have 12 fret guitars in 00, 000 and dreadnought sizes.

Rod
Old 03-04-2007, 06:59 PM

There's a huge difference. I don't think that I prefer the 12-fret sound over a really good 14-fret dread, but I can certainly see why people would. I just got a 12 fret Collings D in on my site and am very, very taken with it. Loud and open...much more responsive than I typically find Collings guitars to be.

Rockbridge Slope D
Martin America 1
Woolson Soundcraft Sig
Old 03-08-2007, 01:32 PM

Default Martin 000-28s 12 fret

God's guitar. Really. If you use finger picks or like that clean "hit the bass string and strum" style this is stunning. I called a friend and Martin is reissuing a new signature line of 000-28 slot necks.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:40 PM

One way it was explained to me is that with the bridge in the center of the lower bout it is like hitting a drum in the middle of the head. With a 14 fretter it is more like hitting the rim. As you probably know, 12 fretters can be long or short scale - my triple ought is long, where the 14 fret Om 12 is short scale. But if I could have found tuners the 12 would have also been built as a 12 fret slot

Old 03-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

It's pretty rare that a 14 fretter can produce the warmth and open tone that this bad boy has...
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-08-2007, 03:44 PM

I am a twelve fret nut. Provided its a wide one (at least 1 13/16"). On a more serious basis many, many people believe that the 12 fretter just nails it for a fingerstyle player. Why ? Because the bridge gets seated in the sweet spot of the sounding board. All things being equal, which they never are...

etc etc etc...

Ultimately its all down to what and how you play,what you play and whether you're happy with it. But...keep on doing it, don't ever, ever let the search falter or run out of steam...and, above all, keep us all informed !!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion