The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2007, 12:32 PM

Now I agree with Steve too

Greg
Old 03-08-2007, 01:03 PM

"I think Ryan and Olson build flat."

Kevin builds the soundboard flat and arches the backs. The pictures that I received with the nightingale show quite a remarkable fixture for machining the side radii before attaching the back. I believe the increased volume leads to the incredible sustain he achieves.

Regards, Jack
Old 03-08-2007, 01:36 PM
saffron_boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
Probably because it is just one of many factors.
I will build with a dome, and never flat.
There are successful builders that build flat - I think Ryan and Olson build flat.
Never say never. Don't you want to experiment?

Ryan and Olson do huh? Maybe that's why I'm not fond of the sound of their guitars...
Old 03-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge199 View Post
I believe the increased volume leads to the incredible sustain he achieves.
Jack,
Sustain is a simple principle in engineering terms. Do you remember your physics labs? The factors that determine sustain are stiffness and rigidity. The more stiff/rigid the guitar is, the more it will sustain. Volume is not relevant.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:38 PM

Default The dome

Part of the purpose of the dome is to increase the strength of the top so you can thin the soundboard out more -- thus giving a more responsive top.

True, more arch means a "higher resonate frequency" but that doesn't necessarily mean less bass response. Changing the bracing or voicing approach can compensate for variances in the dome.

I understand (and agree with) Tim's point where "all things being equal", but they rarely are.

In the end, I think you need to figure out how to build a great sounding guitar your way. Part of that comes via experimentation, experience and learning from the masters. Certainly I think Ervin's class is a "must do" for any modern guitar builder, but even with this class under your belt you will still develop your own style.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion