The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2007, 05:25 AM

Thumbs up Gold Tuners

I ordered a lefty 210 7 weeks ago , and I thought that why not have Taylor put gold tuners on it while they still have it.I was told they can't do it. When I called customer service they told me it would be up to me to do it. So now I have to wait for the guitar to get here,then buy the tuners ,and put them on. I was trying to save a step ,but Taylor wouldn't help me out on this one.They said only on a guitar 2500.00, and up would they change out a tuner.Thanks for letting me vent on this one.I'm going to add the tuners I just thought it made more sence to have them do it while they were building it . It's not like I was asking for a cutaway to a guitar that didn't have one, or wanted abalone trim all around the sound board. It was just a tuner that they have to install any way.Should I do it myself, or have the store tech do it for me . Is it that hard, doesn't look that hard to do.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:34 AM

It's really a piece of cake. So don't be afraid to do it yourself.
Taylor 516ce Ltd. Koa
Bose PAS
Old 03-07-2007, 05:56 AM
Winning!

easier than lego.

reagsbydesign (ree-g'ss-b'i-d'sine) n.1. expect the unexpected.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:48 AM

One way to minimize the second step is to order the gold tuners from the Taylor website now. Hopefully, they will arrive with or before you get your guitar and you'll be able to switch them out ASAP.

The current tuners Taylor is using are pretty simple to replace. I would suggest CAREFULLY giving it a try yourself - you'll likely have no problems. Change only one at a time (initially) so you can keep track of the order all the parts go together using the factory installed tuner(s) as a guide.

Enjoy.

2009 Taylor XXXV Baritone
2007 Taylor GS5e-12 String (Spruce and Mahogany)
2006 R. Taylor "MARS" (Redwood and Cocobolo)
2006 Breedlove ABJ250 SM4 (Acoustic Bass)
1997 Taylor 514c (w/ Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend)

2 Turntables and a Microphone
Old 03-07-2007, 12:36 PM

Actually, If your gonna change out your tuners, why not change them out for something better like gotoh deltas (21:1). Or waverly open back tuners. They give you and upgrade in function as well a appearance. And if you go with ebony buttons, a nice savings in weight on the headstock.

Oh, BTW the Gotoh Deltas is presently being used on the 900 series Taylors.
Aloha

A string here, a string there...
Old 03-07-2007, 04:09 PM

Smile Gold Tuners

Hey, I changed out the chrome tuners on my 314ce for a set of gold ones. It`s a piece of cake BUT do place some kind of protection between your wrench and the nut on the tuner so you don`t scratch it up {I used an old t-shirt}. I bought the gold tuners new from Taylor then I put the chrome ones up for sale on E-Bay and almost got my money back!!!,what a deal!!. Good Luck!!!. P.S.=Gold does look so much better!!!!!.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
Hey, I changed out the chrome tuners on my 314ce for a set of gold ones. It`s a piece of cake BUT do place some kind of protection between your wrench and the nut on the tuner so you don`t scratch it up {I used an old t-shirt}. I bought the gold tuners new from Taylor then I put the chrome ones up for sale on E-Bay and almost got my money back!!!,what a deal!!. Good Luck!!!. P.S.=Gold does look so much better!!!!!.
Good advice. Even though changing tuners (especially a direct swap of the same brand) I would add a couple of caveats:
1) I've found it easier to use a hollow-shaft nut driver or a deep socket to tighten the nut on the tuner. Less chance of slippage (and the scratchage and dingage that results) than with a wrench. I'm pretty sure the size is 10mm.
2) Be careful not to overtighten the nut. It only needs to be snug, not super tight. Over-tightening can cause indentation of the wood on the face of the headstock. Check the tuners after you've had them on for a couple of weeks and make sure everything is still snug.

This really is a very simple job. Like reags said, easy as Legos.

Tom
Old 03-08-2007, 10:02 AM

Funny, I couldn't wait to replace the gold tuners on my GS with chrome. To each his/her own, eh?
Old 03-08-2007, 10:18 AM

I've got the set of gold tuners from my GS that I'm willing to sell. They're in perfect condition. Changing gold to chrome was the first thing I did with the guitar. If you're interested, just send me a Private Message with your e-mail address in it.

(Do GS tuners fit a 210?)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion