The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-13-2007, 07:59 AM

Take a good look at the used Guild electrics. I know Guild is known for their acoustic instruments but they built some exceptional electrics as well. I have two and both are excellent American-made guitars. My S100 is kind of like a Gibson SG. The pickups have an "edge" that an SG just doesn't have. Its a real powerhouse rock guitar. The Starfire IV has a more sophisticated sound that I use to play swing jazz and blues. This guitar has a neat master volume control that I really like. Guild also made some nice bass guitars that I am on the lookout for as well. Unfortunately, Guild no longer builds electric guitars.
1973 Guild S-100, 2 Humbuckers
1967 Guild D-40, Original factory acoustic electric. The volume and tone controls are on the soundboard. Has Guild mag pickup at base of neck.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:09 PM

About as cheap as I would go is the Squier '51 Strats. Selling everywhere for $xx. Sam Ash and Guitar Center stock them or you can order at that price from Musiciansfriend.com. I don't have any experience with them other than playing them in the store but have read rave reviews on other forums. If, by cheap, you mean something in the $xx range, definitely worth a look. Epiphone has the Les Paul "Jr" also at $xx. Decently built but I've heard the single humbucker configuration leaves something to be desired. (Limited tones from basic amps and money spent on effects might be better spent on something with multiple pups.)

If you are willing to go a little higher, the 'next step up' Strats and Tele's from Squier and Epiphone SG's and Les Pauls all have versions you can get new in the $xxx range that are probably the best you can get NEW in that price range. I've done a lot of shopping lately and was pretty much down to deciding between the four above - probably would have ended up with one of the Epi's - but was able to buy an old Gibson back from my cousin I had sold him many years ago.

Squier Affinity Series Telecaster - $xxx
Squier Affinity Series Strat - $xxx ("Fat Strat" version also available same price)
Epi Les Paul "Special II" - $xxx
Epi SG Special - $xxx

Most of what I was looking at was in that price range. From what I read and heard, the above are about as good as it gets at that price. The above prices are from musiciansfriend.com which sometimes means you can do a little better in person at GC or Samash if they're in the mood to haggle. Each of the above has steps up in quality about +$50 at a time for better hardware, better wood, etc. Good Luck!

edit to add: I want to be clear that personally, I prefer to buy better equipment used if it is well taken care of. I think the above represents good choices in NEW stuff IN THAT PRICE RANGE. (I know you didn't specify what a "good deal" is for you-that price range is what I was looking at. Also, I was sticking pretty much to these most traditional designs.) I don't think you'll get into a "real" Fender or Gibson, even used, for $xxx or less. But if you are willing to go up into $xxx or more, I'd look at a used Les Paul or Strat before spending that much on a new Epi or Squier, even one of their better versions.

Last edited by cotten; 02-13-2007 at 04:50 PM. Reason: AGF Rule 2: No Guitar Price Discussion. See FAQ for details.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:21 PM

That pickguard on Squier 51 sure is ugly (but I can't comment on tone, never held it, but than again, I doubt that I would). Fender invented some of the coolest looking, most recognizable electrics, but they sure do have a share of their ugly siblings (as do others). IMHO, this is one of them.

But then, one man's "ugly" is another beholder's beauty in his eyes
Old 02-13-2007, 08:59 PM

First off, sorry cotten about all that price stuff. Still a relative newbie so please forgive.

Gone acoustic, personally I agree about the pickguard but the real '51 Fender's have collector appeal and that's part of it, I guess. I read a post on another board from a guy who uses a current-style strat pick guard as a template and cuts the '51 to match. Did it to his own and two friends'. Just saying they liked them enough to each buy one! This model has a Telecaster style headstock rather than a traditional strat style. Also, the pups are different than a standard strat with a single coil neck pup and a bridge humbucker compared to the three single coils on a traditional strat. Also savings due to a hardtail bridge rather than a tremolo.

I played one in a store for a while and it was pretty decent, really. One strange thing I found common on a couple of the strats the Squiers was ALL the fretwires seemed to be cut just a hair too long. I ran my thumb and index back and forth just feeling them "hanging over" both sides of the fret board ever so much, then did not notice until leaving the store I actually scratched the pads of my thumb and finger on the fret wires! This was on three different "Affinitiy" Strats - must have been from the same bad batch at the factory!
Old 02-14-2007, 04:39 PM

Sorry about the price stuff. I thought that was only for peoples FS posts or new items from dealers. I didn't realize it also applied on ballpark figures for used guitars. My bad...
Old 02-14-2007, 04:54 PM

depends what price range you are at....i think a really nice midrange electric, is the Schecter brand...they are like a poor man's prs.......or epiphone les pauls are also really good value...if your not looking for that humbucker sound, then i'd go with mexican strat or tele.....
Old 02-14-2007, 11:37 PM

Gibson MM
Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany
PRS SE series are great
Schecter's
Ibanez

I love electrics. Got way too many 8.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchelB View Post
I think the "best deal" guitar out there is Fender's Stratocaster and Telecaster that's, more or less "assembled" (and painted) in Mexico...with American parts. Don't let others fool you about how its parts are inferior...
Yup. I'd particularly recommend the Fender Deluxe Player's Strat, which I just bought one of back in November. Vintage Noiseless p'ups, 12" radius fretboard, a pushbutton switch to cut in the lead p'up in the 4th and 5th switch positions, beautiful neck that almost reminds me of my Taylor -- I can't think of a bad thing to say about this guitar.

2008 Collings OM-2HA
2002 Taylor 712ce
1970 Martin D-18
2008 Silver Creek D-170
2005 Washburn WD-32SW
2006 Gibson '61 Reissue SG
2002 Fender '52 Reissue Telecaster
2006 Fender Deluxe Player's Stratocaster
1972 Gibson SG Pro
1985 Squier Telecaster
2006 Epiphone AlleyKat

"Life without music would be a mistake." --Nietzsche
Old 02-15-2007, 07:00 AM

If you like strats and money is an issue, I would recommend buying a squier strat and do some research on pickups. The pickups on squiers are not the best. You can decide what sound you want, like SRV or Clapton and the buy the pickup that is best suited for your playing style. Installing them is very simple, and instructions can be found anywhere on the internet. That is what I did, and after 3 different sets of pickups, I found my sound. Now, I have the best sound strat on the block.

That said, I would not turn my head at GFS pickups. After trying the texas specials from fender, and some duncans, i found the tone I was looking for with the guitar fetish pikcups. (http://store.guitarfetish.com/index.html )

Another thing about strats is that you can customize your own with ease. From pickguards to pickup covers, you will transform the look of your strat.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:56 AM

Kitty pickguard can be removed

Old 02-15-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOTF View Post
Yup. I'd particularly recommend the Fender Deluxe Player's Strat, which I just bought one of back in November.
+1. I played one of these the other day and i really liked them too! I'd definitely consider one if i were in the market for a new electric (though i would also take a serious look at used American G&L legacies too...).

Taylor 614ce (walnut/englemann) "Kayla"
Gretsch Pro Jet (with Bigsby!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars