The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-22-2006, 07:55 PM

You'll find lots of parts, supplies and tools, and kits at StewartMcDonald. The website is stewmac.com, but have them send you their catalog. I have had very good service from them.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:54 PM

OK - so we have stewmac, LMI, and Martin as the big names selling kits. All things being equal, and assuming a fair amount of woodworking prowess - which of these would you say is as close as humanly possible to the identical specs and measurements of a D28?

I would think Martin, but then again, they might twist the numbers around just a hair so that no one ends up with something that is dead-on one of their existing models.

So, which of these will fit the bill, if a D-28 is what I want, and I have the shop/tools/skill (?) to do it with?

http://www.youtube.com/ayavner

2006 Martin OMC Aura (Laurelin)
1998 Martin HD-28 (Telperion)
Epiphone WildKat w p90s and Bigsby!
1997 Rickenbacker 360/12V64

Dearly Departed:
1981 Yamaha FG 335
Alvarez AJ60SC12
Regal RD35 Roundneck dobro
Old 10-23-2006, 12:34 AM

aaron; I know the internet is stuffed full of information; but if you are choosing to study the Cumpiano and natelson book, like I am myself (because of the traditional techniques and few, instead of many jigs!!! ) please take time to check out His site, for it contains "updates" to his book that are well worth reading, like the blessed new neck joint he has designed.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayavner View Post
OK - so we have stewmac, LMI, and Martin as the big names selling kits. All things being equal, and assuming a fair amount of woodworking prowess - which of these would you say is as close as humanly possible to the identical specs and measurements of a D28?

I would think Martin, but then again, they might twist the numbers around just a hair so that no one ends up with something that is dead-on one of their existing models.

So, which of these will fit the bill, if a D-28 is what I want, and I have the shop/tools/skill (?) to do it with?
Here are my expriences with products from all of them.

1) StewMac - very good basic kits, everything included, great instructions. Choices are limited but good (ie dreads or 000 in rose or hog, choice of dovetail or bolt on neck). I believe they will be close in size, bracing, etc. but will have slightly different neck block, truss rod, etc than a true D-28.

2) Martin - I have not ordered a complete martin kit but have used some of their parts (neck, 12 string neck, neck block, fretboard). Both John Hall and Steve Kovacik include Martin parts in their kits. Martin's instructions are the worst of all of them - at least download the StewMac pdf. If Martin says it is a D-28 kit then I believe everything will have been picked off the production line. However, Martin also has kits with laminated wood and other things that they don't put into production.

3) LMI - my classical was from LMI and was very high quality parts - the rosette was beautiful as was binding and other little details. It did require the most work - planing the fretboard, actually cutting the braces (there was just a hunk of spruce, the others had the braces precut). With LMI I would say a bandsaw is essential - you could get along without it for Martin and StewMac. My kit was supposed to be a copy of a 1937 Hauser - I would say if LMI calls yours a copy of a D-28 it would be pretty choice.

4) Other choices - My 000 was actually from Steve Kovacik and the 000-12string that I'm currently building is from John Hall (Blues Creek). They both use parts from Martin, StewMac, etc, but have a lot more flexibility in what they offer. If you just want a basic D-28 any of the above can furnish a kit - if you wanted something different (say a D-42 or special wood or something) both Steve and John could easily supply it. On both guitars I spent a lot of time on the phone and email selecting just what I wanted in my guitar. Both of them hand picked wood (look at the top on the 000) and helped me with purfling and trim.

I'll add a comment about Cumpiano - his book is beautiful and inspiring, but most home builders DO use some kind of mold. His book is joined by Kincaids, Sloans, Siminoffs, (the Martin book), the StewMac pdf and Earlywine's book on finishing - each has something to contribute.

Here are a couple of beginner's home made guitars - please feel free to contact me if I can help

Old 10-23-2006, 08:52 AM

Try Bluescreek guitar.com--John Hall is a greta guy and you can put together a custom kit for about the same price as an LMI or SM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion