The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-01-2024, 07:20 AM

Default Martin D'28, string Guage and neck resets

True or not, it seems to me Martin's
Need neck resets more than many other guitars.
I'm assuming, with time, a reset on mine
Might be inevitable.
QUESTION:
will changing from light (54-12 )
To medium (56-13) accelerate the
The the need for a reset or
Does it make little difference?
Old 05-01-2024, 08:10 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

I am not aware of Martin's needing neck resets more frequently than other acoustics, so that's news to me. That said, heavier gauge will add more tension to the neck, so it's logical to assume that more tension will equate to more neck movement if a guitar is going to be prone to that issue. So, yes, if a guitar is going to need a neck reset it will likely happen sooner with heavier gauge strings.

I moved away from using .12s (e) or heavier some years ago and now only go up to custom light gauge .11s (e). That said, I have yet to need a neck reset. I have one guitar that could probably use a neck reset, but the action is fine after having the bridge shaved down some on the treble side. It doesn't appear that the neck is moving now, so it should last me quite a while.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Dreadnoughts are designed as primarily rhythm instruments with mediums (13-56) as standard.

Neck resets and Martins are a common association, but there is NO way to predict the reset cycle for any guitar.

I played my 1973 D35 from 1975 until 1996 (21 years) with mediums - and muchly in bluegrass bands, before I sold i to a friend who still plays it most nights. It is really due for a reset now (1973 - 2024).

However, I remember seeing a brand new high end Martin OM being taken out of its case for the first gig by an acquaintance - it needed a neck reset.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

I'd say just play using the strings you enjoy and stop worrying about the future.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 05-01-2024, 09:17 AM

Full time luthier here. I build and repair. Do a lot of neck resets. Essentially all guitars will need a neck reset at some point. There are exceptions, but I've found them to be uncommon in the long run. I haven't noticed that Martins need them any more frequently than any other brand. What I have noticed is that Martin has made an absolute ton of guitars and almost all of them are worth having a neck set done if it's required. You might not pay to get the work done on your old Yamaha, but you, or at least someone, will definitely pay to do it on an old Martin.

As for lighter strings lessening the need for a neck set, they will definitely put the guitar under less tension so yes, they will probably prolong the time. That said, I wouldn't find that a reason to not use the string gauge of my choice.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Full time luthier here. I build and repair. Do a lot of neck resets. Essentially all guitars will need a neck reset at some point. There are exceptions, but I've found them to be uncommon in the long run. I haven't noticed that Martins need them any more frequently than any other brand. What I have noticed is that Martin has made an absolute ton of guitars and almost all of them are worth having a neck set done if it's required. You might not pay to get the work done on your old Yamaha, but you, or at least someone, will definitely pay to do it on an old Martin.

As for lighter strings lessening the need for a neck set, they will definitely put the guitar under less tension so yes, they will probably prolong the time. That said, I wouldn't find that a reason to not use the string gauge of my choice.
Great post, I would have said the same thing. But guitar that sounds awesome and use the strings that sound the best. Then let time and nature take care of itself. If it needs to get a neckset in 10 or 20 years, you'll feel sufficiently motivated.

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-01-2024 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:08 PM

Default Tuning gears?

Not sure if anyone has postulated this until recently, but it seems to me that a guitar with heavy tuning gears will need a neck reset sooner than one with lighter gears.
Every time a guitar is moved, played, swayed back and forth, bumped. lifted, etc., the neck will stress more due to a heavier mass up on the headstock...a pendulum effect that is likely taking place?
Another reason, however perchance, that those light open back tuners are on so many guitars now.
You may be sensing by this that I am personally an advocate of the lightest possible gears for all of my instruments...I am hard core on this...all the while I feel they make things much easier on the shoulder, and prevent headstock breakage as well.
Anyone with thoughts or input on this?
Old 05-02-2024, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

The need for a neck reset has nothing to do with the mass or weight of the tuners. The need arises because the guitar body deforms from the tension of the strings.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
The need for a neck reset has nothing to do with the mass or weight of the tuners. The need arises because the guitar body deforms from the tension of the strings.
^^^^
THIS!

There’s a common misconception that a reset is required because ‘the neck has moved’ - that expression has even been used on this thread - but the true cause is the body ‘folding up’ due to string tension.

McNally OM-32 (Sitka/EIR) (2024)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-03-2024, 01:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspe View Post
Not sure if anyone has postulated this until recently, but it seems to me that a guitar with heavy tuning gears will need a neck reset sooner than one with lighter gears.
Every time a guitar is moved, played, swayed back and forth, bumped. lifted, etc., the neck will stress more due to a heavier mass up on the headstock...a pendulum effect that is likely taking place?
Another reason, however perchance, that those light open back tuners are on so many guitars now.
You may be sensing by this that I am personally an advocate of the lightest possible gears for all of my instruments...I am hard core on this...all the while I feel they make things much easier on the shoulder, and prevent headstock breakage as well.
Anyone with thoughts or input on this?
My recollections of various subjects for my engineering degree tell me that you are correct in theory; any mass at the end of a moving object will have an effect on the stresses felt in the object. However, the impact of headstock mass and general neck movement as you describe will be negligible when compared with the stresses from a set of strings. A typical set of strings exerts around 150 lbs of tension on the neck, constantly. The change in mass of a lighter set of tuners may be an ounce or two and the impact on the neck via movement may only total a minute or so each day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion