The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2023, 07:17 AM

Default Dreadnought vs Slope Dreadnought Differences

I'm planning on getting a dreadnought guitar this year. Assuming the maker, string length, and woods are all the same, what are the differences in these two bodies shapes as far as tone or playability?

Last edited by William2; 01-22-2023 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:35 AM

Mahogany short scale:

https://youtu.be/JwAsFSj64kU

Rosewood standard scale:

https://youtu.be/462EORDF_08
Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string
Old 01-22-2023, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

FWIW, the slope-shoulder dreads I've owned/played tended towards more pronounced mids when compared to similar square-shoulder dreads.

Last edited by dwalton; 01-22-2023 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogsNRoses View Post
Mahogany short scale:

Rosewood standard scale:

Those are different scale lengths and wood used. The OP wanted to assume the only difference would be the body shape.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:49 AM

You might find this useful:

2022 Taylor AD17e Blacktop
2016 Yamaha FG820 Autumn Burst
2015 Eastman E6D
2011 Eastman AC422
2008 Taylor Big Baby
1977 Alvarez 5059
-- no longer with us
2018 Taylor 324CE V
2013 Takamine P1NC
2010 Eastman AC420
Old 01-22-2023, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

I've never even seen one, but a Martin DSS-17 compared to a Martin D-18
might be close to the kind of comparison I think the OP is after...

-Mike
Old 01-22-2023, 10:14 AM

Default a thought

Sometime I think we need to admit that these sorts of questions have no answer, there's just no way to take one variance in characteristics, out of hundreds, and claim that that very one is responsible for an acoustic difference.My advice to OP: Find a dreadnought you like and take it home.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Sometime I think we need to admit that these sorts of questions have no answer, there's just no way to take one variance in characteristics, out of hundreds, and claim that that very one is responsible for an acoustic difference.My advice to OP: Find a dreadnought you like and take it home.
Yeah, I tend to agree with this. The body shape itself might impart some slight tonal variation, but I doubt it's significant.

I've also seen really few apples to apples models to make comparisons with. The only thing that I can really think of is that might provide a pretty straight up comparison the Bourgeois Banjo Killer, which is originally a slope, but it also had different bracing than the rest of the Bourgeois line... they have subsequently used that "banjo killer" bracing on square shoulders once in a while. But you'd have to be pretty lucky to get one of each in the same room with the same woods to really try them out.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 01-22-2023, 10:37 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
I've never even seen one, but a Martin DSS-17 compared to a Martin D-18
might be close to the kind of comparison I think the OP is after...

-Mike
Different wood types, Mike. The DSS-17 isn’t Honduran.

”Stumblebum Blues” on the Walker Clark Fork (Advanced Jumbo)
”Hydro Genesis” on the Walker Clark Fork (Advanced Jumbo)
Old 01-22-2023, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William2 View Post
I'm planning on getting a dreadnought guitar this year. Assuming the maker, string length, and woods are all the same, what are the differences in these two bodies shapes as far as tone or playability?
Apple to apple? Not sure but, a 12-fret sloped shoulder dread will tend to produce a more pronounced difference in tone (fuller, deeper) when compared to either standard or SS 14 fret dreads.
Old 01-22-2023, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

I really don't understand why people here and even on the websites of various makers cannot grasp the fact that Gibson DID NOT DESIGN A DREADNOUGHT.

A bit of basic history:

In 1916 Martin made a large bodied style for one company called Ditson. It was called a Dreadnought. It wasn't a great success, and Ditson did not survive the great depression.

In 1931 Martin introduced their own branded dreadnought - a 12 fret and if you must "slope shouldered" design which should rightfully be called the "original" dreadnought design. They were called "D1" and "D2", and latterly D18 and D28. NOTE THE PREFIX!

Again it was not a great success although it was (IMHO) a superior design having a similar (25.4") scale and fretboard as the (12 fret) 000 auditorium. It was discontinued in 1933/4.

In 1929/30 Martin redesigned the 000 to make it more suitable for tenor banjo band players and called it an "Orchestra Model" . This was also unsuccessful and was discontinued in 1933.

In 1934, Martin introduced a second version of the dreadnought using the same neck as the discontinued "OM" and the reduced body length and called it and "OM" initially. As a rhythm guitar for jazz & dance bands. It failed in that market, but as radio and recording enabled folk, and string bands to gain a wider audience, the 14 fret rhythm style dreadnought found a new home in acoustic combos.

also in 1934. Gibson decided to compete by offering the "JUMBO".
It is possible that they took some influences from the shape of the original Dreadnought - but NOT the model name - they called it a JUMBO (hence the prefix "J" 35, etc.NOTE It had/has a shorter scale length (24.75)

Ok, later (1935) they introduced the Advanced Jumbo (AJ) with a 25.5" scale. Still a jumbo, NOT a dreadnought.

In 1936 they introduced the Super Jumbo -the SJ200.
Maybe the fact that Gibson forgot to add the prefix SJ at some point, adds to the confusion.

Yes there were some Gibson acoustics that mimicked the later 14 fret Martin design such as the Hummingbird (1960), Dove ('62), FJN ('63),
Heritage ('65), Blueridge ('68) J40 ('71). etc, but .................................................. ....
There NEVER WAS a Gibson called a Dreadnought.

Gibson never made dreadnoughts any more than GM made a Mustang.

Reference reading : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadnought_(guitar_type)

I hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogsNRoses View Post
Mahogany short scale:

Rosewood standard scale:

The Alamo video did show two exact dreadnoughts with the exception of body style. I thought there was a very noticeable sound difference between the two designs. It looks like the majority of the people commenting on this video preferred the round shoulder sound. My initial thoughts are that the square shoulder instrument had more clarity, and the slope shoulder had more warmth. It was interesting that the top surface area was exactly the same, but the shape of the upper shoulders was different. I should mention that my order will be a 12-fret dreadnought, body style to be determined. Thanks for posting this. I'll be listening to this more than once.

Last edited by William2; 01-23-2023 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egordon99 View Post
Those are different scale lengths and wood used. The OP wanted to assume the only difference would be the body shape.

Each video compares two similar guitars. They’re valuable because of the direct comparison (same player, same mic placement), but the differences might also not be greater than the differences between any two guitars.

The Hummingbird versus J45 in the first video are both short scale with Sitka tops and mahogany back and sides. In case the OP wanted to see standard scale with rosewood back and sides, the Furch comparison video is applicable, and that turned out to be the case.

Isn’t it the Dove that is a square shouldered jumbo (hats off to Silly Mustache) with standard scale and maple back and sides? So Dove vs. J45 doesn’t answer OP’s question.
Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string
Old 01-23-2023, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William2 View Post
Hi William2…

Why don't you ask the maker? And if you don't tell us who the maker is, how would we know?

I have owned Dreadnoughts from 4 makers over the past 60 years, and none of them sounded the same. Nor were they exactly the same size nor design.

I think this is an instance you should consider playing some guitars and determining what you like best. Otherwise it's a pretty expensive crap-shoot.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-23-2023, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
WHAT? Sacrilege I say. Downright unabashed BLASPHEMY! Why, if not for questions comparing the effect of wearing red underwear vs. green underwear on guitar tone, then what on godzgreenearth are internet forums FOR? How else would obsessive-compulsives, many with too much money, spend their time?

And here you come, all high and mighty, and suggest that people stop obsessing on minutiae and just play music.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion