The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-05-2022, 05:48 AM

Default Middle School Guitar Class

I teach a beginning guitar class in a middle school. The students are 7th and 8th graders. I just received a grant to purchase a classroom set of 10 guitars and was looking for ideas of what to get. My budget will be about 250.00 per guitar including case/bag. I will need to balance quality with durability. Has anyone out there had experience in this type of purchase?
Old 03-05-2022, 06:16 AM

Maybe there are other companies that have a program for this but you're going to hear a lot of people say 'Yamaha'.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-05-2022, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Yup. I’d say the Yamaha FS800 I believe it’s called. They’re usually around $200 and they sound and play really good after being set up.
Old 03-05-2022, 06:32 AM

Whatever you do, do not get the 1960's vintage Harmony (I think) plywood VSOs that I suffered with in my middle school guitar class! They were built like tanks, had super-high action, and an average of 4.5 rusty strings. I'm sure there are way better options today.
Old 03-05-2022, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

I have read that Yamaha and Taylor support music education in various areas of the USA…perhaps you could call those companies and get the details.
Old 03-05-2022, 06:53 AM

I'd be interested in the AGF's opinion on steel-string vs. nylon-string guitars for this application.
Gibson J200
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-05-2022, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
I'd be interested in the AGF's opinion on steel-string vs. nylon-string guitars for this application.
Good point. I didn’t specify that this is not a classical guitar class. It is more of an introduction to guitar where we learn basic chords and techniques. Pretty much a “campfire guitar” class.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:00 AM

At some point, early to mid 90's perhaps, Taylor ran a guitars in the classroom project. They used all Mahogany Baby Taylors and a molded case with the Taylor Logo. It didn't fly for long but demonstrated Taylors interest in that type of program.

I'd reach out to [email protected] and see if they might be able to cut some type of deal.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrissom View Post
Good point. I didn’t specify that this is not a classical guitar class. It is more of an introduction to guitar where we learn basic chords and techniques. Pretty much a “campfire guitar” class.
Ed, I didn't think of it myself until I did a quick google on the subject. Nylon strings were mentioned because of the ease on the fingers and also the durability of the strings. Just throwing it out there.
Gibson J200
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-05-2022, 07:38 AM

Ed, Welcome to the AGF!

As mentioned, I would consider Yamaha. If possible, I'd get some dread size (FG) and perhaps some smaller folk size (FS) which may be more comfortable for some people.

I'd also look into one of the Godin branded guitars, such as Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Art and Lutherie, and Norman. Made in Canada and very well respected and durable.

For both I'd reach out to the company and inquire as to whether they have a plan for school purchases.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
I've taught 7th & 8th grade beginner guitar classes and I think the nylon string is a good suggestion because of the ease of nylon strings on fingers. The only problem then is most nylon string necks are wider.

Another option is for a steel string and tuning down a half step for decreased tension.

Either way I feel Yamaha is a good option.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 03-05-2022, 09:08 AM

Size and string tension (tuning down, yes) are a factor in making it easier to play the instruments and hence getting on with the music.

I have a young friend (15 yrs) who I loaned my Mini GS to and her first reaction was that she could play many more positions and the barre chords were much easier. Hence, easier advancement.

Nylon string crossover guitars might be an option but the price point might not work.

why2
Schoenberg / Sexauer ES-14-40
Ed Claxton EM-C
Ed Claxton Malabar
1978 Takamine EF-375-S (Martin letter)
Old 03-05-2022, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I teach a beginning guitar class in a middle school. The students are 7th and 8th graders. I just received a grant to purchase a classroom set of 10 guitars and was looking for ideas of what to get. My budget will be about 250.00 per guitar including case/bag. I will need to balance quality with durability. Has anyone out there had experience in this type of purchase?

Congratulations on receiving the grant. That can be a daunting challenge. The kids are lucky to have you in their school system.
I’m not experienced enough to make any purchase suggestions but wish you luck on your search and moving forward.
Best,
Tom
Old 03-05-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Nylon string guitars don't necessarily mean "classical" and are much more comfortable to learn on for absolute beginners, thereby encouraging them to practice more. It's just that we in the US have been more conditioned to steel strings.
'02 American Series Strat – Sky Blue/RW
'05 Epiphone Les Paul – Amber Birdseye Maple w/ SD 59 neck & JB bridge
'04 Yamaha FG403S Dread
'14 Recording King ROS-06 12-fret Slothead
'17 Recording King 000 RO-T16 Torrefied top
Old 03-05-2022, 10:26 AM

So stay with Yamaha, stay in budget, and get the advantage of shorter scale by going with the Yamaha JR2.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion