The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-02-2021, 08:02 PM

Default First guitar with a 1 3/4 nut

My new Eastman AC422 CE is my first guitar with a 1 3/4 nut. My Guild D-25, my Taylor GS Mini, and my Epiphone ES-335 all have 1 11/16ths nuts.

I’m having a REALLY hard time adjusting. I’m doing my 1st position spider walks and my open chord I-IV-V chord progressions in the CAGED keys, and it only takes a few minutes for my forearm to start burning.

I keep telling myself this is what I get for using a GS Mini as my every day player for four months, and I’ll adapt. Eventually.

Has anyone else had to make this adjustment? Other than “Power through it” does anyone have any advice?
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 12-02-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
My new Eastman AC422 CE is my first guitar with a 1 3/4 nut...I’m having a REALLY hard time adjusting. I’m doing my 1st position spider walks and my open chord I-IV-V chord progressions in the CAGED keys, and it only takes a few minutes for my forearm to start burning...
You're not alone, and if it were me I'd sell it ASAP - shouldn't be too much trouble finding a buyer - and get something better-suited to your physical needs...
Old 12-02-2021, 08:21 PM

How is the setup? It may be the issue.

Do you need the wider neck? Plenty of folks play 1 11/16” and it works for them.

I wouldn’t “power through” if you are having any tendon issues.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:28 PM

I have arrived at the conclusion that larger necks will no longer work for me….I give! I recently sold a Guild D140 and a Gibson Gospel (chunky neck shape) because they caused pain. Not worth it. A hobby shouldn’t hurt.

I tried to push through the pain and all it did was exacerbate the problem.
Rb
Old 12-02-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
How is the setup? It may be the issue.
Eastman's USA warehouse in Pamona set up all their guitars with an action height at the 12th fret of 3/32" on the bass side and 2/32" on the treble side before shipping them to vendors.

I actually didn't give the 1 3/4 nut a lot of thought. So many posters here LOVE 1 3/4 nuts, and I thought the 1 3/4 nut might give me an edge as I explored finger style.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

I wonder if it's not the difference between scale lengths that's causing your woes?
Old 12-02-2021, 09:05 PM
Musical minimalist

If you don't already - try playing in the "classical" position - more neck up and see if it is part of the problem.

If your forearm hurts, it may have nothing to do with the nut width or neck profile, but the angle of attack.

Old 12-02-2021, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
Plenty of folks play 1 11/16” and it works for them.
Yes, I have three guitars now with 1 11/16ths nuts that I love playing. I honestly didn't think an extra 1/16th would be that big of a deal.

I actually wonder if it's the scale length?

Practicing my open chore progressions took some getting used to. That's why I decided to practice the spider walks. But the chord progressions aren't what's really getting to me, it's the spider walks that are hurting. Those first position frets feel like they're acers apart.

The AC422CE has a 25.4 inch scale. The Mini, or course, only has a 23.5 inch scale. My Epiphone ES-335 has a 24.72 inch scale. I have no idea of the scale on my Guild D-25. A little googling tells me 25.5 inches and a 1 11/16th nut but I have no idea if that's right.

I'll do some spider walks on my Guild tomorrow and see how they feel.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I wonder if it's not the difference between scale lengths that's causing your woes?
That's a thought of mine, particularly after playing my GS Mini as my every day player for the last four months.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's a thought of mine, particularly after playing my GS Mini as my every day player for the last four months.
I have a mix of short scale to full scale acoustics, the shorter scale guitars are always easier to play in the first position (open chords close to the nut, cowboy chords).

Here's the difference, 23.9 vs 25.4 between the mini and the Eastman scale lengths,.. that's considerable.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

You could figure out if its the neck width or the scale by putting a capo on the 1st or, more likely, 2nd fret of the Eastman to effectively give it the same scale length as your Mini. Are the spider walks still difficult?
Old 12-02-2021, 10:08 PM

So I played a few I-IV-V chord progressions through the CAGED keys a couple of times with my eyes closed. I was able to make the changes in time. Things were definitely in slightly different places, but my left hand was able to figure out what to do, and I didn't experience any pain.

I tried some first position spider walks and I could start to feel the burn. I put a capo on the second fret, and the spider was walking at a leisurely stroll with no discomfort. I took off the capo and tried a few open scales and those didn't bother me at all.

Thanks for the tips, guys. Looks like I won't be selling my brand new guitar after all.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
My new Eastman AC422 CE is my first guitar with a 1 3/4 nut. My Guild D-25, my Taylor GS Mini, and my Epiphone ES-335 all have 1 11/16ths nuts.

I’m having a REALLY hard time adjusting. I’m doing my 1st position spider walks and my open chord I-IV-V chord progressions in the CAGED keys, and it only takes a few minutes for my forearm to start burning.

I keep telling myself this is what I get for using a GS Mini as my every day player for four months, and I’ll adapt. Eventually.

Has anyone else had to make this adjustment? Other than “Power through it” does anyone have any advice?

My Taylor six string guitars all have 1+3/4" nut width; the rest of my six string guitars are 1+11/16". And my 12 string guitars are 1+7/8". My first rule of the day is don't start with a 12 string. I don't always follow that rule, but maybe you playing a bit with a 1+11/16" guitar and then switching over to the Eastman may help.

Someone mentioned earlier about the scale length. My Taylor 412e-R Grand Concert is a short scale, and it is the easiest of my Taylors to play, so there might be something to that. The Taylor short scale is about a half inch shorter than their 'standard' scale of 25.5", but the that small difference does make the frets just a wee bit closer, and is the only real difference in the necks. But it is very noticeable when playing. And the Mini's frets are even closer.

Again referencing a previous poster, a few years ago I switched to a more classical position (for right-handed) with the guitar on my left knee (occasionally raised). I was having left hand issues at the time (now in my mid-70s), and combined with exclusively playing the short-scale guitar for about six months, I am now over that. And I love playing large body guitars.

So here's a new thought. Play what ever you want on your smaller nut guitars, but limit your playing for a while on the Eastman to 'cowboy' chords. Like C Am F and G, all with minimal fingering. You should still be able to play a lot of your usual material with just those chords just by changing all the keys to 'C'. Basically I am recommending learning all over again and keeping it simple. Also watch your posture, especially left hand angle placement when addressing the neck. You already have the guitar, so give it a try. The idea is to acclimate your fingers to simple patterns and stretch them out a little bit at a time. I am presuming that if you are right handed, its your left forearm that has the problem.

And please "Do Not Power Through It". It will only make the problem worse.

There are people who like to do finger and hand exercises before playing. I do not do that, but I start easily and add on. My way of loosening up.

Good luck and enjoy your journey, even on the tough hills that lie along the way.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 12-02-2021 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
Again referencing a previous poster, a few years ago I switched to a more classical position (for right-handed) with the guitar on my left knee (occasionally raised). I was having left hand issues at the time (now in my mid-70s), and combined with exclusively playing the short-scale guitar for about six months, I am now over that. And I love playing large body guitars.
It's hard to describe how I hold the guitar because I don't rest the body on my legs at all.

I always play with a strap, even while sitting. I play with the guitar body fairly high on my tummy, compared to other people I've seen play. And I keep the neck at an angle, with the headstock about even with the bottom of my chin.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
It's hard to describe how I hold the guitar because I don't rest the body on my legs at all.

I always play with a strap, even while sitting. I play with the guitar body fairly high on my tummy, compared to other people I've seen play. And I keep the neck at an angle, with the headstock about even with the bottom of my chin.
Sounds like you might be contorted and all cramped up. To use a baseball batter's expression, maybe you need to open up your stance and loosen up to extend your arms on the swing. And be open to play with or without a strap, at least for a while. See if you can't find something on youtube about good guitar posture.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion