The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2020, 09:13 AM

Default Some Guitar Center Stores Closed

This morning, I checked Guitar Center's used guitar inventory within 50 miles of me via their website. It now shows that the stores in Allen Park, Southfield, & Roseville, Michigan are closed with no used used inventory online and no hours of operation when one goes to the individual stores' pages.

The nearest me is still open however.

The stores were on the website on Friday. Has GC closed other stores around the country? Temporarily or permanently?

Last edited by geelinus; 03-22-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:18 AM

Just read your post so I checked online and as expected GC Pittsburgh, PA and Monroeville, PA are closed. I imagine all music shops are currently closed in this area.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geelinus View Post
This morning, I checked Guitar Center's used guitar inventory within 50 miles of me via their website. It now shows that the stores in Allen Park, Southfield, & Roseville, Michigan are closed with no used used inventory online and no hours of operation when one goes to the individual stores' pages

The stores were on the website on Friday. Has GC closed other stores around the country? Temporarily or permanently?
My local GC is still open, although with reduced hours and lessons are suspended. The CEO said two days ago:

Quote:
Taking the guidance of local, state and federal government officials, our stores remain open. In the cases where the government has mandated or made significant action, we’ve followed suit quickly, including closing stores where required.
Regardless, I wouldn't go there.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2014 Gibson J-15 -- 2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 03-22-2020, 09:22 AM

Default Some Guitar Center Stores Closed

Not yet, gc in NEB still open as of yesterday but I know the manager and he said a lot of their central dist centers are closed. He’s in about 4 bands, so hardly the soulless corporate clone. So get strings now, pref locally and support your local guys whoever they are. They are ALL music stores.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

My local GC here in New York State has been closed since about noon Friday 20, 2020.
Adamas MD80 NWT
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 03-22-2020, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alathea View Post
Not yet, gc in NEB still open as of yesterday but I know the manager and he said a lot of their central dist centers are closed. He’s in about 4 bands, so hardly the soulless corporate clone. So get strings now, pref locally and support your local guys whoever they are. They are ALL music stores.
Well, I did my part last Thursday by stopping by one of our local Guitar Centers and buying a brand new McPherson Sable (honeycomb top and gold package). I got a great price on it too. I went in the early afternoon and there might have been another customer there at the time. They said they had reduced hours and quite reduced staff. The woman who waited on me normally works in the keyboard section. That day, she would just go to whatever section had a customer. I would not be at all surprised if they decide to start closing stores around here for the duration of the virus.

As for being musicians, every sales person I have encountered at our Guitar Centers is a working musician and/or attending some music-related school. So, yes, good point on supporting musicians who work at Guitar Center. I have not encountered the "clueless..." sales people I often read about here as being GC sales people. All I have encountered around these parts have been informed, intelligent, and at least among those I have heard play, accomplished on their instruments.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-22-2020, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

I guess they'll all end up like that unless they let some do curbside pickup for online orders - I got an email from Best Buy saying they were going to start operating that way, though if you drove up and wanted to buy something they had in stock, they'd try to accommodate that, too.

Yes, mail order is there for everything, but if you break an E string, I mean you don't want to wait for 2nd day delivery! (N.B. Stock up, if you haven't already, but NO HOARDING!)

Last edited by keith.rogers; 03-22-2020 at 09:57 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-22-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
My local GC here in New York State has been closed since about noon Friday 20, 2020.
As has mine here in Upper New York state. I've been going to the store for about eight years or so, generally on Sundays and the staff knows me well. In fact I come in it's like I'm the "Norm!" guy on "Cheers." I'm on a first-name basis with many of the staff.

In fact I had a small amp and an electric, my DeArmond Jet-Star Special, ready to be sold to the staff and had already got some estimates (great on the guitar, terrible on the amp). I still have the amp in my car. Well, that won't happen now but that's OK as it was just some available money.

I really miss more the camaraderie at the store. I've bought a few used and new items at the store ... but only one acoustic, a used Applause.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 03-22-2020, 10:00 AM

I say this - their not a essential businesses - they should be closed -
need something order it on line -stay away from stores unless you absolutely need something -maybe when your last can of beans are gone - think about curbside pickup .
Old 03-22-2020, 10:02 AM

I got a great shape 2005 Gibson Sg used the other day and the manager knows the guy that brought it in so I know the history of the instrument a bit too. It had been bought in by one of the newbs though so so they did mess up there- it was priced as a standard instead of a special, so I got a huge discount on it plus my trade in plus the 10% of they usually apply to trade ins. I walked out about 250 lighter than I went in.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
I guess they'll all end up like that unless they let some do curbside pickup for online orders - I got an email from Best Buy saying they were going to start operating that way, though if you drove up and wanted to buy something they had in stock, they'd try to accommodate that, too.

Yes, mail order is there for everything, but if you break an E string, I mean you don't want to wait for 2nd day delivery! (N.B. Stock up, if you haven't already, but NO HOARDING!)
My thoughts as well. Even then, guessing there won't be enough people buying gear to keep those stores open, even with curbside pickup. Might have to be online buying with shipping.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
need something order it on line -stay away from stores unless you absolutely need something -maybe when your last can of beans are gone - think about curbside pickup .
We should all be doing our part to practice social distancing and not go to stores. Buy online.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:33 AM
Dan - Charter Member

Our local Music-Go-Round used instrument store has switched to drive-up and mail order only. They'll give you a estimate for used gear online, and you can drive up and drop it off for inspection and confirmation.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
Well said Tony! Can't imagine anyone on AGF not having enough guitars to play (LOL)! Let's pray this pandemic passes quickly! Take care everyone!
Old 03-22-2020, 10:41 AM

Don't be so sure online ordering is definitely available. Orders can be processed remotely, but not filled and shipped out. If the area where the goods actually are is on lockdown, with only essential businesses allowed to operate, they won't be shipping music items out anytime soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion