The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2017, 10:37 AM

Default Opinions Please

Have a Seventies Fender F-65 acoustic that's bridge saddle needed raising a smidge due to fret buzz on the G string mid neck. Had made a bone saddle and rather than shims usually use Bob Colosi's shim kits, an ebony strip glued to the bottom of the saddle then sanded to the desired height. Was feeling lazy and instead of using the Colosi method tried something different which I've used when raising nut height on an electric. Have a roll of old paper masking tape, getting older and the paper is becoming somewhat brittle but the adhesive still works. I stuck together three layers of the masking tape then placed the saddle onto the adhesive side. Exacto-knife cut around the tape leaving the tape adhered to the saddle. Then saturated the tape on the saddle bottom with super glue (cyanoacrylate)and let it dry. Smoothed the sides and bottom of the saddle with a fine emory board.Since super glue and baking soda can be used to fix nuts I thought the tape would dry hard. Replaced the saddle and tuned up. The method raised the saddle enough to get rid of the G buzz and seems to not have impaired the sound. Didn't take as long as the Colosi method. I'll probably do it Bob's way in the future but just wanted to see if this would work and be faster. Any comments?
Old 09-28-2017, 10:43 AM

That seems to me to be as good as any way I've heard of for shimming a saddle. I prefer to just make a new one, but not because I believe there's a difference in tone.
et al
Old 09-28-2017, 11:20 AM

Pretty ingenious. I think the hardening with the super glue was exceptionally smart.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-28-2017, 11:34 AM

I hate shims but I did use one once until I could get a new saddle made.
I used an old credit card and it did the job.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion