The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2013, 05:58 PM

Default How often can I polish my guitars?

Is there a right or wrong amount?

Can too much polishing be bad for the finish.... I dont mean multiple times in a day but what if you polish your guitar once a day? Once a week? Once a month?

I just picked up some of Martin's Professional Guitar Polish. Is the polish actually good for the wood or is it just to increase the looks of the guitar but doesnt actually benifit the wood in any way?

Sorry this maybe a noob question but I really have no idea about this. Im really referring to my 2 all wood acoustics... not sure if it would do any good for my fender or the HPL acoustic.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:05 PM

You shouldn't have to actually polish your guitar but once or twice a year. In between a soft cloth with water is all you need.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:07 PM

Cool How often can I polish my guitars?

I have a special 2-part polish, but I only use it to treat scratches. I will however use a microfiber cloth (dampened if necessary) to wipe it down after playing, as most of my guitars have glossy nitro tops and finger marks or anything else that dulls the finish should be removed.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 05-29-2013, 06:11 PM

For me, polishing comes under the 'comfort zone' category, same as humidification. If smudges make you nervous, go ahead and use the less invasive approach.

Some rules of thumb would be using a silicon free compound, and do least amount of rubbing the surface with minimal abrasion. Virtuoso has been mentioned many times in the past, probably other alternatives are just as good.

Personally, I like to keep that mojo (or smudge some may call) on the guitar.

If it gets real bad, I might get out the Virtuoso, but lemme tell ya, I think its been over 1 1/2 years since I've polished my Gibson Hummingbird Pro and BOY is it sounding good.

Polishing won't make the guitar sound better

Orville
Old 05-29-2013, 06:40 PM

I give my gits a good polish once a month. I doubt a daily polish would do any damage unless you're really digging into the finish with a lot of pressure and an abrasive polish.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Guest316

I just did a poll here at AGF this week, and consensus amongst members that responded is to do exactly what paulzoom suggests: damp cloth followed immediately with a dry cloth, and polishing only once a year if that much.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
You shouldn't have to actually polish your guitar but once or twice a year. In between a soft cloth with water is all you need.
.........that!!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:26 PM

There really is no right or wrong to how often you should polish your guitar, do it as often as you feel comfortable. I like Dunlop polish & cleaner...I use it about once a week.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I keep a spray bottle of distilled water and a high quality MF towel in my music room. Mist the towel and wipe off neck and where ever there are smudges. I do this every day or every other day. I have some Martin polish but rarely use it. No need.

2015 Epi B.B. King Lucille
Life is Good!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:13 PM

Default Keep it Clean & Minimize the Polishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockguy475 View Post
Is there a right or wrong amount?

Can too much polishing be bad for the finish.... I dont mean multiple times in a day but what if you polish your guitar once a day? Once a week? Once a month?

I just picked up some of Martin's Professional Guitar Polish. Is the polish actually good for the wood or is it just to increase the looks of the guitar but doesnt actually benifit the wood in any way?

Sorry this maybe a noob question but I really have no idea about this. Im really referring to my 2 all wood acoustics... not sure if it would do any good for my fender or the HPL acoustic.
Most polishes polish because they contain abrasives that remove a slight bit of finish each time. So can it be bad for the finish? Yes, depending on the type of finish and your frequency of polishing.

Does it benefit the wood in any way? No, in fact you don't want polish to come in contact with bare wood for a number reasons.

Here's the scoop: if you keep your finish relatively CLEAN (wiping it down with a clean cotton cloth, perhaps using a damp cloth first, or using naphtha - as found in lighter fluid - for a really squeaky clean cleaning), you shouldn't have to polish. If clean, the finish really won't get any shinier with polish, you'll not wear it away, or expose it to silicone found in many polishes, a real no-no, especially on cracked finishes.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:31 PM

Over the past 32 years, I never used anything other than a soft damp cloth, followed by a soft dry cloth to clean my guitars. I never thought anything more was needed.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

You'll go blind if you do that too often...

Actually, I polish mine about once every 6 months or so.

Toff
Old 05-29-2013, 08:53 PM

Ok, question. I have been using Dunlop 65 to clean the top pretty regularly because I've noticed that I have an area on the top just below the pickguard where the finish is getting thin and if uncleaned it gets kinda gritty feeling which in turn contributes to the wear. Since this area is closer to bare wood should I stop this practice? What is in Dunlop 65? Is it abraisive? Thanks.
Bought new in 1978
2010 Breedlove Passport "A" tuned
Old 05-29-2013, 10:57 PM

I use Fender guitar polish, at about $6.00 a bottle that lasts about 6 months. I lightly mist a Micro clothe, and rub the back of the neck, strings, and the soundboard where my arm rests, to remove body oils, or acid. It's made from White Mineral oil, and Pine oil. Really not very harsh at all, and smells nice. About every third time, i run the rag under the strings to clean the backs of them, and the fretboard. Strings stay nice and shiny until I change them, it also seems to cut down slightly, on string noise, as I move up and down the neck.
Dan
Old 05-29-2013, 11:03 PM

I polish my guitars once a year..only if needed. Polish can build up, make your finish hazy, put tiny pin scratches on the finish because of micro dirt on the cloth..particularly on black guitars. How do I do a touch up the smudges?...I call it huff and buff. Breath on the smudge, use a CLEAN...VERY CLEAN cotton cloth, and buff the huff and the smudge away! The less polish the better. One thin coat of polish should last a long long time if you huff and buff when needed!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion