The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Is there life after a crack?

I just noticed a crack or I should say split on the top of my guitar, it's splitting at the point where the two pieces are joined. This is a '93 Taylor so it's kind of older for Taylors. Question is what do I do?? I know I'll have to take it in somewhere to get repaired. Is there going to be a big noticable repair? Is the sound going to be hampered? Man this really bums me out
'99 Fender 60's reissue strat
Old 01-16-2005, 03:31 PM

I sold a guitar with a split like that once for a great deal. The buyer said he got it repaired for $50 and you couldn't tell it ever had a problem.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

The question is why did it crack now. Is the guitar seriously dehydrated? Check your humidity and if dry start humidifying your guitar right away before more damage happens. If you plan to have the crack repaired do it soon before dirt and oils get into the crack. It should not cost too much to repair a simple crack (often charged by the inch) but do not expect the repair to be invisible.
Good luck, Rick
Old 01-16-2005, 07:54 PM

it may be an old wives tale, but i remember reading somewhere that older guitars, particularly after 10 years or so, become more "stabilized" and are less prone to cracking. so i am quite suprised that this guitar sustained such an injury, although with humidity, i'm sure anything is possible. take rick's advice above and re-hydrate, as that will help close the seam of a top crack, but as he mentioned, the full repair may never be truly invisible...
Old 01-16-2005, 07:59 PM

I "think" an invisable repair is possible since the crack is at a glued joint in the top.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Woody,
The problem of obtaining a invisible repair is the finish being cracked, not so much the wood.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:09 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

MOst definatley repairable. LOTS of guitar have cracks. Take it to a good guitar repairman.
From "Frets.com" showing how a crack is repaired;
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luth...355cracks.html
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luth...idesplint.html

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 01-16-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Minnesotamoon

Minnesotamoon; From what you describe the crack is easily repairable. Check out the repair gentleman at the Podium in MPLS, MN. Marty rocks!

By the way I played an Archtop in New York that has a retail price similar to a loaded american sedan that had a repaired neck and 2 repaired top cracks. The guitar is beautiful for a 35+ year old and has a sound to die for. Age and cosmetics are judged by the holder, but sound can not be denied.

Rick-slo has a great question, why the crack. Get an answer for that and you will prevent any future issues.

Good luck in our cold weather. It has provided a good excuse to practise!!
Old 01-16-2005, 09:33 PM

cracks are no big deal,
they can be repaired,,cleated and glued,, almost invisible
and dont hurt the tone,, and some might say even help the
tone a little.

Rick
Old 01-17-2005, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Balding G
Minnesotamoon; From what you describe the crack is easily repairable. Check out the repair gentleman at the Podium in MPLS, MN. Marty rocks!

By the way I played an Archtop in New York that has a retail price similar to a loaded american sedan that had a repaired neck and 2 repaired top cracks. The guitar is beautiful for a 35+ year old and has a sound to die for. Age and cosmetics are judged by the holder, but sound can not be denied.

Rick-slo has a great question, why the crack. Get an answer for that and you will prevent any future issues.

Good luck in our cold weather. It has provided a good excuse to practise!!

Yep I had planned on going to the Podium to get it fixed. I live up in St. Cloud so I have to make a little trip but I don't think I'd trust it anywhere else.

As for the reasoning behind the crack. I'm to blame for that. I left it out of its case for a couple nights and the humidity it was in was at 20%. I know I know that was just stupid of me. The guitar is actually in a satin finish so it's not just a finish crack and its also not all the way through the top, when I reach inside I can't feel any sort of crack. It started at the soundhole and now has moved under the bridge and into the bottom of the guitar a little bit. I put it back to bed in the case with 2 dampits and another clay humidifier thingy so. I think I'm just going to string up my Alvarez and play that and keep the nice axes in the cases for a while. I got sick of filling my room humidifier 3 times a day so thats how it happened. Stupid stupid.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:54 AM

Marty is adamant about keeping guitars in cases when they're not being played this time of year. I've made myself several in case humidifiers of his design (available at the podium's website) and haven't had a problem. As others have said...a crack's no big deal. It'll happen to pretty much every guitar at some point, unfortunately yours was just ahead of schedule.

Andy
Old 01-17-2005, 09:58 AM

i have two with cracks and they sound gr8....martin 00016gte and a larrivee d-02..it give them character...lol...
Old 01-17-2005, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonist34
Marty is adamant about keeping guitars in cases when they're not being played this time of year. I've made myself several in case humidifiers of his design (available at the podium's website) and haven't had a problem. As others have said...a crack's no big deal. It'll happen to pretty much every guitar at some point, unfortunately yours was just ahead of schedule.

Andy
yea, i love those sponge humidifiers. i made one for my 414 case and its doing great, i just need to get around to making another one for the other. here's the link if anyone wants http://www.thepodium.com/instcare3.html cheap and just as effective as store bought ones. geez, i should be using my own advice
Old 01-17-2005, 02:50 PM

http://www.12fret.com/used/laskin_Erte_page.html

This one has a crack and it still goes for $10K!

As long as the crack is stable it has no effect on tone.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:53 PM

My cedar-topped Tacoma ER22C has four long top cracks. All have been professionally repaired, but one of them re-opened. I've finally given up and let it go. (Incidentally, the repair man has seen several other cedar-topped Tacomas with the same problem.)

The guitar sounds fine, so the answer is "Yes, there's life after a crack." There's even life after four cracks - no resale value, but plenty of life.

Gary

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion