The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2011, 12:06 AM

Default Ridges on my top

As I was looking over my guitar I noticed that the finish has ridges that I have never noticed before. I can feel them as well if I run my nail across them. I just bought it 3 weeks ago so is this the normal process for a solid top or am I looking at the beginning of a humidity problem? I plan to buy a hygrometer but just haven't had the extra funds right now. Like a lot of newbies, I imagine, humidity wasn't something I knew about prior to starting my journey. I may just be paranoid but I notice a couple 1 inch long "scratches" in a couple spots between the grain lines, not on the seam. Am I just freaking myself out, or are there some measures I should be taking? I appreciate all the help I can get.

Guild F-130NAT
Alvarez RD-8
Old 05-19-2011, 12:14 AM

It's perfectly normal and is actually considered desirable by many. All it is is the finish shrinking into the contours of the top.

What it means in practical terms is:

1. You've got a thin finish on there, which is good.

2. It's probably a thin nitro-cellulose lacquer finish, which is excellent when it comes to tonal qualities, even though it's admittedly a bit more fragile and less durable than some others.

There IS a possibility that you aren't keeping the guitar humidified enough, because three weeks in is an awfully early point at which to start noticing this sort of movement.

So make sure the humidity is between 40% and 60%, keep the strings fresh, and have fun with it.

Hope this helps.

whm
Old 05-19-2011, 12:19 AM

I hope that's what's going on. Im definitely getting a hygrometer ASAP cause this whole not knowing thing will end up driving me up the wall.

Guild F-130NAT
Alvarez RD-8
Old 05-19-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghale View Post
I hope that's what's going on. Im definitely getting a hygrometer ASAP cause this whole not knowing thing will end up driving me up the wall.
Don't stress! Guitars are pretty tough and don't need obsessive babying. Just keep it out of direct sunlight, draughts, heat sources and sudden extreme temperature changes.
Low humidity is seldom an issue in England but during the drier winter months when the heating is on I just leave a small bowl of water near my guitars and refill when it evaporates. Never had a humidity problem with any of my guitars in over 40 years.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:20 AM

While these are all great replies, and there's certainly no reason to stress out, my own personal experience is that you DON'T want to let humidity issues get out of control.

I live in Sacramento, California, and have heard many people say they don't humidify their guitars here, but when I went that route I ended up with a sunken top on my gorgeous 000-18GE, and the grain lifting as you have described.

The tone went to hell, and it took three weeks of re-humidifying to get it sounding decent again.

Anyway, just trying to point out that just because some folks have never experienced a true humidity emergency doesn't mean they aren't real.

Best of luck!
Old 05-19-2011, 10:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Some good replies BUT this can also be a sign of the top [wood] shrinking and pulling the finish down with it instead of the finish actually shrinking into the wood. Lay a straight edge across the top from bout to bout and it should be convex under tension. If its flat or sunken then that is a red flag that it needs moisture.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion