The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2022, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Dan Erlewine's Statement "loosening trust rod LOSE TONE" = help me understand

Recently I have heard of people on AGF talking about how adjusting Trust rod effects the Tone.
In this video just before the end of the video at the 7 minute mark, Dan talks about loosing tone if you loosen the trust rod, making the neck less straight.
So what is exactly happening to cause this loss of tone? I do know...that if I loosen the trust rod, the Height of the strings at the 12 fret changes slightly. And for us heavy handed players....Chord pounding players, having a totally straight neck is really not an option on acoustics.
Dan claims tone loss? And he most certainly has years of experience. So there must be some truth in it. Is it that it changes the height at the 12 fret & that causes tone to be different? Or is there something else going on? Does it only apply to electrics or are Acoustics effected as some AGF members have stated?

Old 03-03-2022, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

What does "loosen" mean. Typically you might turn a quarter or half turn for a bit lower action or a bit higher to avoid a fret buzz. The truss rod does not become loose. Very unlikely to hear a tone change on an acoustic. I don't play an electric but it doesn't seem likely to occur from a typical truss rod tweak.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-03-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
What does "loosen" mean. Typically you might turn a quarter or half turn for a bit lower action or a bit higher to avoid a fret buzz. The truss rod does not become loose. Very unlikely to hear a tone change on an acoustic. I don't play an electric but it doesn't seem likely to occur from a typical truss rod tweak.
Loosen means to add relief.
Old 03-03-2022, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
What does "loosen" mean.
From what Dan Stated, I assume he is talking about making the neck less straight. Meaning more neck relief.

Personally I shoot for .004 to .006 thousands of neck bow at the sixth fret. Dan is talking about making the neck straight I believe, with no relief.
Old 03-03-2022, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Was he referring to Acoustic guitars or electric?
Old 03-03-2022, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

I have long thought that there was a zone before you get an audible buzz where you degrade the sparkle in your high strings. I have no facts to back this up. I recently wondered why the tone of my D 35 was not what it was. I had the frets leveled and crowned and it came back better than ever. I'm more than willing to have a placebo effect if my brain thinks there is an improvement.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-03-2022, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Loosen means to add relief.
Not what I meant.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion