The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-25-2004, 11:22 PM

Question Stock Nano's causing strange low "rattling buzz"

I just bought a Taylor 410 that's about 2 months old by the serial number. It came stock with the .013 Nanowebs. This guitar has the strangest underlying 'rattlling buzz' on most notes but not as loud as your normal run of the mill fret buzz.

When I brought the guitar back to the shop they did every adjustment they could think of and even reglued braces checked for a faulty truss rod and sent it off to taylor. Most of the 'new' Taylor guitars I tried in the shop had similiar undertone buzzing issues but again not your classic fret buzz. It didn't matter how light or hard I played the buzz was the same. I was really concerned I had made a poor purchase picking the Taylor line but my buddies 310 with poly's amazed me into this purchase.

When I came home with no guitar to play, I restrung my old "Jasmine" guitar with an extra set of .013 Nano's I was given originally for the Taylor in place of the 2 month old poly's that were on there. Funny enough ( or not so)it now has the same underlying 'rattle buzz'.

The only way I can get it to stop is to press REALLLLY hard on the strings.
I checked to be sure I didn't have an off fret and I can actually put a piece of paper under the string and have the buzz without the string hitting the paper placed on the next fret so it isn't an action issue. Definatly alot of clearance on this beast. From what I can determine the string isn't contacting the fret correctly or it's a badly wound batch and is vibrating ever so slightly off the fret.

I've contacted Elixer today and I'm waiting for the response from Taylor when they send my guitar back.

Both these guitars were kept in teh 50% humidity range and 3 packs of Nano's were tried in the process of troubleshooting both guitars. I guess I'll go pick up a regular set of poly's or Martins to see if I'm insane or if it really is the strings. I never had this problem with the polywebs or the martin strings I've used on this old guitar.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:46 AM

Hmmm. Not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but I've been a regular Nano user since they came out (yeah, I know, not to everybody's taste, but I like 'em!) and it was just recently that I restrung and had a buzz - only on the low E string when fretting in the 11 - 14 fret range. Traced it to the length of string between my finger and the nut vibrating off the fret. Was cured by fretting harder, but was considering a set-up adjustment until it went away by itself as the string aged - a day or two.

No doubt this is absolutely no help to you whatsoever!
Old 08-26-2004, 07:17 AM

got to be a humidity issue....

can happen with any strings, i use many different types

also could be from not fretting harder

doubt that it is strings, try picking up a $20 hygrometer (radio shack) and checking out the humidity in your case, should be like 46-48 percent

hope that helps
Old 08-26-2004, 09:59 AM

I have one and the humidity has been fine for weeks. I have no problems frettnig 'hard'. The amount of pressure needed to stop the buzz is so unatural it feels like you are going to push through the fretboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSock
got to be a humidity issue....

can happen with any strings, i use many different types

also could be from not fretting harder

doubt that it is strings, try picking up a $20 hygrometer (radio shack) and checking out the humidity in your case, should be like 46-48 percent

hope that helps
Old 08-27-2004, 08:32 AM

sorry for your luck dude? wasn't trying to be preachy, but i thought your guitar might be too wet (you said that your humidity was in the 50's)

hope you get it all worked out
Old 08-28-2004, 03:28 PM

No worries at all. Well... still have the same set of strings on the old guitar and as I wear down the string on the fret it's slooooowly getting a bit better. It seems to be making better contact with the fret peak and I don't have to press down as hard to get it to go away. The sound is definately coming from the 'fretted fret'

Also, on the frets I havn't been playing much the buzz is still loud. It's as if the fret is bad (flat) but it isn't. I definately suspect the strings now as I'm able to wear down past the coating and have the buzz lighten up a bit.

Still waiting for the Taylor to return....I wonder what they 'found'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSock
sorry for your luck dude? wasn't trying to be preachy, but i thought your guitar might be too wet (you said that your humidity was in the 50's)

hope you get it all worked out
Old 08-28-2004, 03:43 PM

I've always though new elixir's were hard to fret but I figured it was in my head.
Old 08-28-2004, 04:23 PM
Guitar Honey

I have noticed this problem with the last few strings changes I've done. Buzzes and dead sounds. I tried rechanging the strings, making adjustments to the guitars, etc., to no avail, only to find the problem miraculously 'gone' within a couple of days.

I guess the Nanos need to 'age'?
Old 08-28-2004, 05:10 PM

From what I can tell it looks to be that way. I still need to prove I'm not crazy and put some poly's or Martin strings on and make sure the problem isn't there. I really doubt it's something I wouldn't have noticed all this time. I still havn't had any response from Elixer about this. If this is a 'known issue' of sorts, I doubt they would own up to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejoice Music
I have noticed this problem with the last few strings changes I've done. Buzzes and dead sounds. I tried rechanging the strings, making adjustments to the guitars, etc., to no avail, only to find the problem miraculously 'gone' within a couple of days.

I guess the Nanos need to 'age'?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion