The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Default Another Thomastik String thread

After reading several threads on Thomastik - Infield strings, I finally took the plunge and bought a couple of sets of Spectrums from someone on the forum. They laid around for about a month before I put them on my Beneteau. I love this guitar, but have never really thought I had the right strings to bring out all of its potenetial--until now.

Wow. I LOVE the way these strings look, feel, and sound. Anyway, I'm sold. Don't know if they would be what I would want on every guitar, but I will probably find out in the coming months.

So for anyone who has been on the fence about trying them, Thomastics have my hearty endorsement!!
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....

Last edited by Transylvania; 03-15-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:51 PM

Alright, where's the best place online to buy 'em? Checked every guitar store in Knoxvegas and nobody has 'em.

The look on the guys face when you ask for them is priceless though.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Strings and Beyond is one place. That may be where I get my next set.
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Old 03-15-2012, 06:58 PM

Both Elderly and JustStrings usually stock both the Spectrum and Plectrum series.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:07 PM

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transylvania View Post
After reading several threads on Thomastik - Infield strings, I finally took the plunge and bought a couple of sets of Spectrums from someone on the forum. They laid around for about a month before I put them on my Beneteau. I love this guitar, but have never really thought I had the right strings to bring out all of its potenetial--until now.

Wow. I LOVE the way these strings look, feel, and sound. Anyway, I'm sold. Don't know if they would be what I would want on every guitar, but I will probably find out in the coming months.

So for anyone who has been on the fence about trying them, Thomastics have my hearty endorsement!!
i like t-i strings, but haven't tried the spectrums. like most t-i strings, they are pricey. can you comment on the sound a little?
Old 03-15-2012, 07:19 PM

At last look, Mandolin Bros. had them at a very good price.

I use them and not only do they sound great, if you wipe them down after each use they will last about twice as long as a regular set. A great upgrade.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-15-2012, 09:30 PM

You should be able to order them from Musician's Friend or Guitar Center as well.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:43 AM

I did a post on this last week.

TIs have gone up to $20.99 for a set now at most venders I've seen.

Strings & Beyond is still offering them at the old price of 18.99 with 10% off coupon and free ship on orders of $35.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:22 AM

Yes, I bought a couple sets last week after AGF recommendatins.

I have them now on my Songwriter, which is the one guitar where Im still searching for the right strings.

They certainly do have a quality to them, nice balance between clarity and mellowness if that makes sense. They do bring out the warmth of rosewood very well. Will also try them on my mahogany Gibsons when the time comes.

I just hope they last long enough before the rosewood mud starts creeping in when the low E and A strings start getting muddy. So far so good.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 03-16-2012, 05:31 AM

http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/a...d-strings-402/

This is where I have been buying strings.

2011 57 Reissue Vintage American Stratocaster Lefty
2011 Martin OM28V L
2010 Takamine EG340CH (JUNK)
2013 Seagull S12 Lefty
Old 03-16-2012, 09:39 AM

for your first purchase, I'd only buy one or two sets... I bought Plectrums some years back and they were the only set of strings I have ever immediately removed from my guitar. You very well may love them like the OP, or you may not. They do have their own sound and feel.
that's me on guitar
Old 03-16-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd View Post
for your first purchase, I'd only buy one or two sets... I bought Plectrums some years back and they were the only set of strings I have ever immediately removed from my guitar. You very well may love them like the OP, or you may not. They do have their own sound and feel.
Regarding removing strings immediately, I have an 0-18 I put Thomastik - Infield Classic S Ropes on and was tempted to take them right off I disliked them so much. Now is about two months later, whether the strings have changed, my ears or a combination of the two, I now love the sound of the guitar with those once hated strings.

Peter
Old 03-16-2012, 11:44 AM

I'm a huge fan of Thomastik-Infeld Spectrum strings. For mc1, I'll attempt to describe the tone:

Chocolate bottoms, coffee middles and merengue trebles. There is no hint of what I refer to as the trashy ring and shimmer of new strings, as Spectrums, being a round and full-sounding string, sound "broken-in perfect" when first put on and seem to stay that way for an extended time period. If bright strings are required to liven up a "dead" guitar, these may not work. However, Spectrums will bring out tones that your guitar has but have been ignored by most all of the string sets generally discussed here on the AGF. The obvious disclaimer is that your ears and your guitar will give you a subjective receptor and this will trump anyone's opinion, save for yours. My Martin D-28 Marquis wants these strings, and so do my ears. Other sets I love are Newtone Masterclass, Martin SP 80/20, and Pyramid Western Folk.

TI Spectrum strings are only offered in phosphor bronze round core.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
I'm a huge fan of Thomastik-Infeld Spectrum strings. For mc1, I'll attempt to describe the tone:

Chocolate bottoms, coffee middles and merengue trebles. There is no hint of what I refer to as the trashy ring and shimmer of new strings, as Spectrums, being a round and full-sounding string, sound "broken-in perfect" when first put on and seem to stay that way for an extended time period. If bright strings are required to liven up a "dead" guitar, these may not work. However, Spectrums will bring out tones that your guitar has but have been ignored by most all of the string sets generally discussed here on the AGF. The obvious disclaimer is that your ears and your guitar will give you a subjective receptor and this will trump anyone's opinion, save for yours. My Martin D-28 Marquis wants these strings, and so do my ears. Other sets I love are Newtone Masterclass, Martin SP 80/20, and Pyramid Western Folk.

TI Spectrum strings are only offered in phosphor bronze round core.
Thank you for your description which I think is spot on. Your strong and consistant recommendations are a major reason I tried them. And as you said, they bring out tones in my guitar that other strings have been unable to.
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion